• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge Cheap TIM Between DIE and IHS.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It should last you way more than that as is.

Depending on the stress test usedto and activity you will likely be 10c or more cooler

As it stands, at stock, at 100% load 24/7, I'd expect it to run at least ten years. Probably longer.
The motherboard capacitors will fail first.

I'm one of the guys who did "gut the thing", as you put it. I've actually done 2, a 3570k that I killed benching and a 3770k that I'm running now. Why? Because I like to putz, and I just can't leave well enough alone. What did it gain me? A few MHz, and I can turn my fans down a little bit. That being said, I've been there, done that, been impressed, and now I'm over it. I'll be picking up another 3770K very soon for a benching dedicated rig, and I'm not doing it to that one. It is NOT necessary. I was an advocate of it when I first did mine, but I don't recommend it any longer. I've seen too many mutilated chips, too many bent pins, too much wasted money. If you're running stock clocks, the chip is running well within design parameters, so there's really no point. Even with moderate overclocks and voltages, you're not likely going to reach tjmax unless something else is wrong. I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about the design (TIM, gap, etc.) either, but I figure the engineers at intel know more than I do, and they're good with it. Does that make me a fanboy? :shrug:

you might say lower cpu temp is a return, for what? these are safe to run up to 90c or 100 or what ever i dont remember but its well beyond what a cpu is goign to do on stock clocks or even overclocked to decent speeds. the 94c people are probably noobs who dont know how to mount a cooler.

without the IHS there to protect it there is a chance you could crack the die on the cpu.

but in the end its up to you do what you will we can make up your mind for you, just figured id share some insight from my point of view. have what you will.

You probably don't care but 100c is boiling so if your cpu is at 94c you should be going :shock: then :cry: then :bang head with an alarm screaming catastrophic failure in you face. Just saying. :)

I am running a new 3770k stock with intel heatsink and f@h on 24/7, highest my temps get it 71C on 2 cores....

this is also in Costa Rica where avg temp is around 20-22C and even hotter in the day...

This has NOTHING to do with liking intel, fact is AMD is slow, power hungry and runs HOTTER than intel right now...

How is the CPU made cheaply? It is made with in specifications and runs with in specifications set by intel..

So should we now say all CPU's are cheap because the stock cooler doesn't run the processor 20C cooler like a water kit would....

Same with Video cards.. heck, we should complain about hard drives having no cooler at all cause one would make it run cooler and thus last longer....

I guess it is all made cheaply then...

You probably don't care but 100c is boiling so if your cpu is at 94c you should be going :shock: then :cry: then :bang head with an alarm screaming catastrophic failure in you face. Just saying. :)

Boiling it may be, but the chip is rated for 105c (110c?), Intel believes it can run at that temp and stock volts/clocks for long enough to make it out of warranty.

Do not worry about the TIM issue, the CPU will work fine, only reason to do the delidding is if you want to do extreme overclocking. Mine did 4.5ghz without delidding happily, but I wanted more and that's the only reason I delidded... and only got a 12C improvement at the same speed.

I can tell you there is no point even running an aftermarket cooler if you're only running it at stock, I used the stock HS/f for a week and managed 4Ghz stable...

pfft... I ran a I7 950 @ 95C for over a year with no issues. and that has only a 100C TJmax

still if it is geting to 100c then some thing is very very wrong. and is NOT normal. unless you are trying to wreck the thing then it is fine to have a cpu go to 100c. imho

It won't hurt it at stock voltages.
It will not wreck it.
It will not damage it.

That said, it shouldn't get that hot if the cooler is working.

actually when cpu hits package temp 105*C ( cores have about 95-97*C ) then throttling will enable and temps will be lower by about 10*C so there is no way to work @95*C+

and that right there is why I said what I said if cooled corectly it should not get to 100c

Don't forget the other half to your statements, that the CPU would die so you should delid to drop the temps. Which it won't, and you shouldn't.

I'm a computer tech and allot of people put there computers in closed cabinets and they run hot for years, also some computers are in foundries and it's real hot in there also, some people use there laptops in the sun in the heat of summer.

Cooler is better, but it wont die because of that. There are protection systems in place to prevent such things...

Say what you mean in that case...LOL! Your first two posts straight said that temp will kill the CPU, then you came back with something different. All good and all, but that wasnt what was posted which is why a couple people took the time to correct it. :)

Back