• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock advice for E7300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valadar

Hi all, I have an old computer by todays standards. My specs are Intel Core2 duo e7300 processor, MSI P35D3 Platinum Mainboard, 3 GB Super Talent DDR3 @ 1300MHZ RAM, MSI NX8500GT graphics card, Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard disk with 32 MB cache. and a Codegen 400W (chrome) dual rail power supply.

I would like to overclock my processor a bit but I am completely a novice when it comes to overclocking. I have managed to get a maximum of 2.9GHZ from my processor as anything over that and the computer restarts and tells me that the overclocking attempt has failed. Any advice?

Thank to everyone for their time. :)

I have an e7300 with an Asus P5Q-EM motherboard, and to hit 3 ghz required just a small bump in the vcore. What have you done so far? If all you have done is raise the CPU frequency then you might want to read up a bit more on overclocking before you continue.

Thanks for the reply long ago Machausta, as I said I am completely a novice when it comes to overclocking. I have a stock fan that came with the cpu, is it generally safe to increase the v core amount in small increments? Yes I think I have only adjusted the cpu frequency at this stage. Any more advice would be appreciated.

At a 2.9GHz clock (290Mhz FSB x 10), what does CPU-Z show as the current DRAM frequency? And does the 3GB of RAM = 1 x 2GB + 1 x 1GB or 3 x 1GB modules, and what are the rated and current timings and DRAM voltage?

Hi reddu900, thanks for the reponse. My memory configuration is in 1 x 2GB memory modules and a 1 x 1GB memory module. CPU-Z shows that my current DRAM frequency is 578.6 mhz I am not sure where to find my rated and current timings. I see CAS# latency 8.0 clocks, RAS# to CAS# delay 8.0 clocks, cycle time 20 clocks, row refresh cycle time 60 clocks, command rate 2T, DRAM voltage is 1.5 Volts. Thanks

At the current DRAM frequency of DDR3-1160 and 8-8-8-24 at 1.5V, make sure the RAM is stable by booting to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive, and that there are zero errors while testing.

Hi redduc900 I did as was instructed and ran Memtest86+ by booting via a thumb drive. It ran 2 passes, no errors were found. What can I do from here with regards to overclocking my CPU? Thanks for your assistance.

Try raising the VTT FSB Voltage and / or the NB Voltage slightly, starting w/ the latter first.

Hi redduc900 thanks for the response.Can I send you the values I have in my bios for the VTT&NB voltage?After I try them what next do I do. I appreciate your help

Hi reddu900, here are the settings in my bios at the moment.

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 289
CPU Ratio CMOS Setting = 10
Adjusted DRAM Frequency = 1156

Below is the safe voltages:

NB Voltage 1.250, 1.275, 1.300, 1.325, 1.350, 1.375, 1.400
VTT FSB Voltage = 1.175, 1.200, 1.225, 1.250, 1.275, 1.300, 1.325,

I have currently set NB Voltage to 1.275 and VTT FSB Voltage to 1.200

Thanks for your time.

Back