• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature scaling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peteey

Registered
So I have been thinking lately, lets say hypothetically I were to want to test out how a couple heatsinks perform against each other. i would not have the same temperature throughout all of my testing so I need a way to correct my results. Lets say I test a cpu at 20 degrees room temperature and test a different heatsink at 25 degrees room temperature. Would i have to simply at +5 degrees to the first temperature to correct the results? Or does it not work that way?

You're thinking about it more or less correctly. Certainly any measurements need to have the ambient temp deducted from the readings you record from your system whether you are measuring CPU, GPU, RAM, case, whatever. Control the ambient during testing if it's going to be a long test. That way you get the corrected and true delta. You also need to control for settings, i.e., measurements should compare, for instance, your CPU at stock clocks for each HS or at the same OC for each HS as well. If you record one set of temps and then think "wow, I forgot to blow the dust out", either don't blow the dust out or do so and start over with your testing.

Back