• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K - P67-GD55 B3 First Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

Hello,

i am very new to overclocking and I hope I can learn a lot here. I am planning to overclock my 2500K to about 4.3 to 4.5 GHZ and although I read here and on other sites I would like to ask some questions before getting stuff done, I dont want to break my CPU and I'd I think it's better safe than sorry.

So first of all, here are my specs:
Intel i5 2500K
Scythe Mugen 2
MSI P67a-GD55 B3
8GB (2x 4096MB) Corsair ValueSelect DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9-9-9-24
MSI TwinfrozrII 580 GTX
Bequiet E8-600W

So if I got this right I have to fix the vcore and then increase the mutliplier, reboot, increase mutliplier etc. Until I get an instable system. Then I raise the vcore and when I reach my desired clock (in my case that would be ~ 4.5 GHZ) I might lower the vcore.

Since adjusting the voltage seems a bit dangerous to me (or don't you really risk breaking your CPU if increasing gradually?) I would like to see what I get from stock voltage.
Now I read some really confusing thinks, like
and the DRAM Ratio to 6, which equals 1,600MHz shown below it. If your memory differs, change this accordingly. VDroop Control was set to High VDroop, the CPU VCore to 1.28V, the CPU IO (VCCIO) was 1.17V, the System Agent Voltage (VCCSA) was set to 1.185V and the DRAM Voltage was set to 1.65V.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/5

Do I really have to adjust all that voltages and even my RAM? It sounded so easy here: http://www.overclock.net/t/913294/step-by-step-overclocking-2500k-for-lamas
And I read more than once that overclocking SB Intel isn't too hard.

I would really appreciate if you have some input, information, guides or anything else helpful for me.

so long ;)

Last edited:
Welcome!

THere is a link in my thread that will help you out... in overclocking. Its a beginners guide to 4.5GHz for those CPUs (sanybridge/Ivybridge overclocking guide).

As far as the memory, dont worry about it, its not worth overclocking.

You do not need to touch anything but the vcore, and multiplier for most cases.

Thank you for your fast response! I searched for 2500K therefore I didn't find your thread in the first place.
I read it and it seems to fit that overclocking to 4.5GHZ shouldn't be too much for a beginner.
However I am a bit skeptical, since we are jumping right in at 1.35V. Is this a safe value? Or could you maybe recommend how to perform a more careful approach like starting at x40 and 1.xxV? And then gradually increase both?
Edit:Just remberered that stock vcore is 1.3V, the lower values I had in mind came obviously from people who lowered their voltage to the minimum.
You do not need to touch anything but the vcore, and multiplier for most cases.
And I have some questions in general to the guide. How do I figure out if my CPU is one of the somes that require PLL?

Is there any sticky/guide about the overall relations between all those values and the correlation of RAM timings and the CPU?

Do I need to know more I should I just start and see how my CPU is doing?

I am sorry if some of these are stupid questions, however an i5 is not really the cheapest CPU and I would really like to approach overclocking in a very safely manner.

Edit:
If my system runs stable on 4.5 and 1.35V would it be wise for a beginner to see if I can drop the vcore a little bit again?

Last edited:
Back