• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PCI Fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

...hey.

So I'm thinking about getting a PCI slot fan. Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106104

What I want to know, is that is this thing going to be sucking air and pushing it out of the rear like an exhaust fan, and if so, how is it able to do that, considering it's position? OR is it just pushing air from the bottom towards the top?

Second question, should I position it ABOVE my graphics card, or below it? I'd imagine above it since it would be sucking hot air away from the card, but if it were below it, will that push in cool air? I'm really confused about this thing honestly. Thanks in advance.

Do not buy.
slot fans suck.

what case and case fans do you have?

I have an Azza Toledo 1 case, which is a mid tower and has decent cooling I think, I have one really big side panel fan, a 120mm on the bottom, and a 120mm in the front all sucking in air, and I have 2x 120mm roof fans and one 120mm rear fan exhausting air, so a total of 6 fans.

However, my temps are still not entirely that cool I don't think, or at least they could be cooler. I was just considering getting as many fans as possible, especially since I have all these PCI slots I never or never will use, I was thinking of getting a PCI fan.

The one you linked seems to be pretty useless. 22 CFM exhaust is nothing. You can move the same amount of air (or more) by having more intake CFM vs exhaust CFM and just removing a PCI slot cover.

OK, are you using the stock case fans ?

Your temps will be the same if not worse with pci fans.
They're loud, move next to nothing and make a mess of your case's air flow.

Exactly, the 22 CFM is a very optimistic rating. I'd be surprised if they pushed a quarter of that. They are literally useless.

OK, are you using the stock case fans ?

Your temps will be the same if not worse with pci fans.
They're loud, move next to nothing and make a mess of your case's air flow.

I think three of the fans are stock, 3 of them are my own.

And I'm really not sure about PCI fans, people tell me different things, some said that they helped drop quite a lot of temperature in the system, especially the graphics card, and they're quiet, but it seems others are saying the opposite...

Hmm, but will it cool down the graphics card at all? Or not really?

Not really, if it was an intake fan it might just a little, tiny bit. But, since it's an exhaust fan, it won't be pushing any cool air around your GPU at all, if anything it will suck some much needed air away.

Not really, if it was an intake fan it might just a little, tiny bit. But, since it's an exhaust fan, it won't be pushing any cool air around your GPU at all, if anything it will suck some much needed air away.

Hmm I want to understand how this thing'll even be able to exhaust air out the rear, so it doesn't just push air up as if it were a normal case fan facing the upward position?

PCI fans are traditionally a centrifugal fan (blower), which means it would be pushed out the back of the case.

As repeated many times, they are not worth it. Most are cheap junk that push very little airflow.

if your objective is better cooling, post a picture of your system, screen shot of hwmonitor after several hours of use.

a simple way to determine if you need more cooling is to remove the side panel of the case and see how that affects temps.... if they drop dramatically then you for sure dont have enough air moving through the case.

Thermaltake really went down hill with products, just looking at them makes me cringe

Thermaltake really went down hill with products, just looking at them makes me cringe

Agreed, I have these two Thermaltake fans, and though they due move a lot of air, they're extremely loud, no joke, one of them is louder than all of my other fans in my system combined... noisy enough to make me want to replace them soon.

if your objective is better cooling, post a picture of your system, screen shot of hwmonitor after several hours of use.

a simple way to determine if you need more cooling is to remove the side panel of the case and see how that affects temps.... if they drop dramatically then you for sure dont have enough air moving through the case.

I tried the side panel thing, and when I took it off and looked at temps again for a while, nothing really happened, some things went up like 1-2 degrees and a couple things went down 1-2 degrees. I wouldn't really call that drastic...

Did you run loads test before and after removing the side panel?

In fact why did you want to get a new PCI cooler fan junk thing anyway?

Are your temps bad? Do you know how to measure temps? To load test a PC for temps?

Did you run loads test before and after removing the side panel?

In fact why did you want to get a new PCI cooler fan junk thing anyway?

Are your temps bad? Do you know how to measure temps? To load test a PC for temps?

No, I didn't run any load tests I just kept in idle, I may do that soon. I was just curious about the PCI cooler thing, I had no idea if they were any good or not, which is why I started this whole thread. My temps are fine, but the cooler, the longer your system will last, and I never use my PCI slots for anything other than the graphics card so I thought a PCI fan would be a good use for one of them, but apparently not...

Back