• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help/Tips Xfire 7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hello Guys,
I’m trying to get some help here. As some may know, this is my first time in the red team and not very happy with this move just yet.

I got 2 x Gigabyte 7970 3GB factory clocked at 1000/1375. The rest of the system is in my signature. I’m using catalyst drivers 13.1 and haven’t OC’d any part of the system. For the Xfire, I’m using only 1 bridge. I’ve also downloaded the profiles 12.1 CAP1. I’m playing in a 27’’ 2560x1440p.

The main issues I have are:

Fifa 13. Terrible stuttering and some random artifacts. The situation improved with the caps and tweaking the options but still, far away from the results I had with my 580s SLI.

Metro2033. Randomly, FPS will go down, not necessarily in an intense scene.

Battlefield 3. FPS stays at 60 but it looks like the system is forced, doesn’t look smooth as in the 580s SLI.

I would like to know what things can I do to improve this situation or if it’s something I have to live with. Please let me know if you need more details or screenshot of my system.

Thanks,

Ank.

I've moved this to the AMD GPU section, which will get you more relevant answers. :)

Arnt the caps included in the 13 series? AMD recommends NOT having the caps installed. Get rid of them. I went to the 13.2 beta 5 with my 2 7970's and it is great. No stuttering.

Arnt the caps included in the 13 series? AMD recommends NOT having the caps installed. Get rid of them. I went to the 13.2 beta 5 with my 2 7970's and it is great. No stuttering.

Excellent, I will try that. Any other tips or configs that you have changed? Any warnings in game settings I should be aware of?

Fifa 13 seems to be a little buggy, not the cards.
From http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/122897-13-fifa-hd7850
I had a similar problem running crossfire 6950's . I managed to get around 100 FPS using a couple of tweaks.

You want to control as much as possible through catalyst control. Firstly, Turn of MSAA and Vsync on the game settings and have no limit to FPS aswell with max rendering.

In catalyst control under applications settings everything is pretty much maxed out and override application settings. So turn on Vertical refresh and AA settings here. You should be able to max them out.
Hope this helps

try getting rid of the caps, updating to 13.2 beta 5 and this for fifa. Dont base testing around Fifa tho as its not the cards. After that there is always Radeon pro although did not need it.

Should I use 2 bridges in the cards? Is there any difference?

Fifa 13 seems to be a little buggy, not the cards.
From http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/122897-13-fifa-hd7850
I had a similar problem running crossfire 6950's . I managed to get around 100 FPS using a couple of tweaks.

You want to control as much as possible through catalyst control. Firstly, Turn of MSAA and Vsync on the game settings and have no limit to FPS aswell with max rendering.

In catalyst control under applications settings everything is pretty much maxed out and override application settings. So turn on Vertical refresh and AA settings here. You should be able to max them out.
Hope this helps

try getting rid of the caps, updating to 13.2 beta 5 and this for fifa. Dont base testing around Fifa tho as its not the cards. After that there is always Radeon pro although did not need it.

Great, so I updated to the lastest drivers, changed all the setting as in the attachment and uninstalled the CAPS.

Something else???

Attachments

• screen.PNG
    screen.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 59
Well, honestly, one thing I disagree with is setting things like AA and AF in the CCC. Its really best, in most cases, to let the SOFTWARE OF THE GAME do the adjusting. For example, in CCC I have most things set to APPLICATION CONTROLLED and adjust the in game settings. Unless something isnt working properly through the game or I want to add more to the game, I dont use CCC for AA/AF or force anything on all games. That is a sure fire way to have wonky things happen to me...

I agree with earthdog. I just suggested it for that one game only if he really wants to fiddle with it. Just to clarify.

Xfire only needs one bridge to work. I leave two on in case one goes funny there is a backup. One is fine.
Is there still any problems after doing all this? Check using 3dmark or heaven benchmark.

Tweeking the settings from the CCC was horrible, 15fps in Fifa, BUT the beta 5 drivers seems that have solved the problem. I just played a soccer match and I've never seen this smoothness. It seems that this will be a case by case basis but I hope they keep updating the drivers this way.

Thank you guys!

ONe at a time... find the core max, then back off a bit (20-30MHz) then do the same for the memory.

What's a mild OC for these chips? Games are running ok right now, I don't really need to get the max out of them.
1100 for the core with likely some voltage adjustments...memory will vary as well. Just gotta try it out on your own and see what works.

well you are on a mild overclock. I just set my two to 1100/1550 1/2v and +20% and it works.
I know at least 1 card can go higher but meh.

I believe I'll wait till I get a game that will run under 60fps. One more questions. The other day I was testing Max Payne 3. In the video configuration options, there's a memory counter that will tell you, depending on the settings you change, how much memory is left. The game was reporting 6gb total but it's my understanding that Vram doesn't add up.

Is it a game glitch or I have 6GB vram total?

Thanks!

3GB for each card. In SLI/Crossfire the same data is on both cards memory. It is NOT added up.

Back