• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best anti-spyware/malware product?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Currently I'm using Ccleaner and Kaspersky Internet Security.
I think I need something for spyware/adware/malware.
Which is the best program to get? Free ones of course. Thanks.

I would say avira over mse. Malwarebytes works really well for individual scans.

Depends on what you're trying to nuke.

Spybot Search and Destroy is good when you're infected and need to take an axe to the problem, so you can cripple the bug enough to get a real virus checker running. Its also pretty good for catching trojans and adware. Generally this is my go to shotgun when hunting down a virus infection on a pc. Load up in safemode and let this do its thing. usually does the job well enough to get a more complete virus checker running. which leads us to the next two...

if you like automation and don't want to touch your antivirus Avast! is the way to go.

if you're worried about rootkits or like more control over your antivirus software, AVG Free is the way to go. Frankly, AVG has been the champ of anti-rootkit protection and general virus removal for a long time on the free front. it's just not particularly user friendly.

While Malwarebytes isn't bad... generally I've found that anything avg can't handle avast! or Malwarebytes won't touch it either... but spybot usually can where those programs fail. since there doesn't seem to be anything Malwarebytes does better then avg/avast!/spybot i don't usually turn to it unless those three can't handle the issue. that said I've yet come to a problem that Malwarebytes can solve that i can't solve with avg or spybot, so when i go to Malwarebytes its just to confirm my choice to reformat...

Last edited:
I would recommend MalwareBytes for all your nasty removals.
Go into safe mode as well, if things get serious and you are guaranteed to return safe and sound to the land of cleanliness!

I too recommend AVG, or Zone Alarm free.

Agreed. In fact, everything other than Zone Alarm and AVG, in my experience, tend to be taxing on your system, pretty much useless and I always seem to experience choppy download speeds.

While Malwarebytes isn't bad... generally I've found that anything avg can't handle avast! or Malwarebytes won't touch it either... but spybot usually can where those programs fail. since there doesn't seem to be anything Malwarebytes does better then avg/avast!/spybot i don't usually turn to it unless those three can't handle the issue. that said I've yet come to a problem that Malwarebytes can solve that i can't solve with avg or spybot, so when i go to Malwarebytes its just to confirm my choice to reformat...

Actually I've had the opposite experience. My friend had a trojan on his laptop last month and Spybot didn't catch it, but Malwarebytes did.

I'm with a couple others and riding the MS train. See if this actually works. It has given me a couple warnings so it's doing something. I also use Malwarebytes.

Is your Kaspersky subscription over or are you planning on not using it anymore?

A lot of the recommendations people have made are for using instead of Kaspersky, that is why I'm asking.

If you are worried you need more than just Kaspersky you don't have to worry. It is supposed to be one of the best for catching stuff.

mse is good for realtime, malwarebytes is good for scanning. However nod32 and kaspersky are also very fine choices. I would probably have a limit of 2 anti virus programs because they can often conflict with eachother if you have too many.

Only ever have one realtime/active antivirus installed, not even two.

I look at Malwarebytes as a non-antivirus if you aren't using the active/real-time protection.

really, with stuff out there now your AS/AM arsenal is more of a imploded toolbox.

what i use normally

Malwarebytes
MSE
Avira
Rkill (or any variant of Rkill that kills stubborned crap)

and what we have been using at work. we swapped over from Mcafee to Faronics AV. its a modified version of VIPRE (as they bought them)

Back