• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

free dynamic DNS service provider?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnsidner

Hi. I used to have a internet connection with static IP address, and I had configured an A record to my IP.

Now I have changed my internet connection to one with dynamic IP. Until now I have setup a account with dyndns, and created a CNAME alias
for my domain name to the dyndns name,but I want to link the root domain to my IP address also.

I am using a free DNS server where I can setup an A record. Theorectically I could lookup my IP from the dyndns domain name, and then enter.It manually in the A record in the DNS server. However, I would have to do this manually every time my IP changes.

I want to look for some service provider that can do this for me.The service support the dyndns domain name.

I know that I could do this with dyndns, if I have a paid acount. But I don't really want to pay for it. So any information on a free dynamic DNS service will be helpful! Thanks!

But I can not use my original domain for a free account, and IP update every 5 minutes seems to be really slow, or it is just me?

5 minutes is more than adequate, Your IP in most cases won't change until you reboot your router or modem anyways, and when it does an at max 5 minute lag time isn't all that much to be honest.

I got lucky...donated to dyndns.org when it was still free and they gave me a lifetime account when they converted to charging for the service.

Yeah...5 minutes is actually very fast for this stuff.

I got lucky...donated to dyndns.org when it was still free and they gave me a lifetime account when they converted to charging for the service.

Yeah...5 minutes is actually very fast for this stuff.

When they converted, they would send you an email to authenticate for the free service once a week, unfortunately for me it ended up in my spam.

I have a synology box and they provide ddns service through their site.

I get my domain through namecheap.com, they have a free dynamic dns service with their domains. I originally had it setup to auto update with pfsense, but have since changed firewalls and moved the auto updating to my server.

You may want to have an eye on https://desec.io/#!/en/

I’ve been using their service for a couple of weeks now and what I liked in particular is that you can sign up with just your email adress and that they apparently don’t mess with your private data, as they have to follow some strict german privacy laws.

Although there are a lot of free dynDNS services out there these days, of course I think they are also among the first who offer a couple of security features on top, like DNSSEC signing for all records, as well as SSH-Fingerprints and PGP-Keys.

Back