• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 and GA-970a-UD3 Overclock Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
42ghzcpuz.jpg

memorywy.jpg

cpuz42ghz.jpg

Those are my settings while running Prime95.

CPU-z Memory tab shows you are currently running your 1600 mhz ram at 1333. CPU-z reports memory speed as ram bus frequency rather than DDR3 transfer rate, i.e., half of what you would expect. To make the ram run at 1600 mhz you may need to take the memory speed in bios off of Auto and manually set it to 1600 and the timings as well. Please display the CPU-z tab, "SPD" which shows manufacturer's recommendations for voltages and timings at various common frequencies.

Trent's is right on the money.Adjust your ram manually.No sense in having that ram underclocked.Easy fix :) Now why 62C? something's is wacky here,especially on that voltage.Everything else looks fine.Nice sig.trents.I plan on using your layout.Just looking for the right one.

Last edited:
I think that temp is something with the socket? I have noticed a bunch of people have high temps on it as well.... Im not terribly worried. I manually tried adjusting the memory, but it didn't like booting.

Here is my SPD. I manually changed the timings and voltages within bios.
spdgb.jpg

Here is how I got it to benchmark at....

473ghzmemory.jpg

473ghzhwmonitor.jpg

473ghzcpuz.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4586729

Did you manually adjust both the frequency and the timings of the memory?

You have great Overclock. Temperature a bit higher than what I want to see, but I guess if you adjust fans on your case, that might drop by a couple of degrees. You don't have good and efficient airflow in your case.

About RAM........ You are using 220 FSB, so if you use XMP-1600 to get it 800 plus, it will actually go to 880, probably the reason, it is not booting. You can try with a little higher DRAM voltage But I don't see the need for that. there is no really big difference 733 and 800. If it is stable at 733, you are good.

About air flow....... if I am correctly reading your previous posting with a diagram of fans lay out, You do not have any exhaust fans. Without exhaust fans, you are not removing hot air from the System box efficiently.
What I suggest you is get at least one exhaust fan (that goes on the back of Case, you have room for 2 of them). If not move your upper intake fan from front and install that as back exhaust and I am sure you will see some change.

Fans are not that expensive, best would be adding 1-2 exhaust fans on the back of the case directly where CPU cooler Fan is blowing hot air. Adding another Fan on the Hyper 212 itself wont make much of a difference. I have checked it very well on my System.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• casevq.jpg
    casevq.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 208
TMPIN2 (CPU socket temp) and Package (processor core temp) are both probably too high. Probably past the limit for stability. Pay attention to what drosera01 is saying. He's right on.

And as he pointed out, when you increase the bus frequency over the stock 200 mhz, you also increase memory frequency, HT Link and CPUNB frequency since they are tuned to the bus frequency. You need to lower them to compensate or else they become the reason for instability.

Attachments

• GA.JPG
    GA.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 204
Air needs to flow not just into the case but through the case so that hot air is not trapped. Here is a pic of how it should go, basically it should flow from front down low to back up high:

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 206
I agree, there is more I could squeak out of this system, but until I get more fans... Waiting for them to ship, I am not going to push it any futher. Again, those temps are When using Prime95 for about 20 minutes, so in the real world I wont really see that high of temps. When gaming on BF3 I am only getting 44c. I am using MSI Afterburner and HWInfo64 to display temps and utilization in the game. I used a big box fan setup next to the case last night to get that 4.73ghz clock. I had to down clock my GPU because it was crashing at 1450memory speeed. But after changing GPU back down to 1200memory it ran great. Besides case fans, what else can I do on air to cool things down?

I bought enough for a push/pull setup on my Hyper212+, an exhaust fan out the back, and an intake fan on the bottom of the case. I can't put any exhaust fans on the top of the case due to the Hyper212+ blocking the fan mount locations. I don't feel like hacking the case up to mount two upper fans.

Thanks again for the advice. So far I am impressed with the chip.

One thing that really helps is to put spot fans to blow on the NB and VRM heat sinks. I buy 50mm fans for this purpose and stick the two the heat sinks with a piece of double-sided adhesive strip applied to the fan frame hub.

Attachments

• spotfans.JPG
    spotfans.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 206
K, I bought one 40mmx20 and one 50mmx20. I will get them installed tonight and see if it helps with temps.

In order to adhere them with the double-sided adhesive material to the heat sink with the fan housing hub, they will need to be oriented to blow down on the heat sink. You can't turn them around unless you fasten them another way.

In order to adhere them with the double-sided adhesive material to the heat sink with the fan housing hub, they will need to be oriented to blow down on the heat sink. You can't turn them around unless you fasten them another way.

Welll you could but the power cable would twist up might fast. Hehehe.
RGone...

That is a sweet overclock.The nb on the 970 looks fine.Air flow is only going to carry you so far, with these cpu's in particular.The one thing these lack vs an i5 is maintaining low temps because of power demands on load.After reading plenty of reviews,I'll accept the power requirements for the payback in performance.

The think the limit on these chips are 60c,but I could be wrong.Either way,that's asking alot at that temp for longer periods.

Man, for only using a Hyper 212+ for cooling that is a great overclock! Have you stress tested it for at least two hours with the Prime95 blend test?

Blowing on the heatsinks so the air spilling out goes over toward the bottom of the CPU as well. Especially needful with W/Cooling.
RGone...

Would a side fan on your case work?Thinking along the lines of a 200mm or above.One requirement I want in my next case.Good cooling options on side,for intake and cooling.

I believe the max temperature for AMD FX series is about 60-65 degrees.

Last edited:
My experience is that side fans can do more harm than good as they disrupt the overall pattern of air flow through the motherboard. However, they can be necessary when video cards run too hot and need cooling.

Back