• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 and GA-970a-UD3 Overclock Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My experience is that side fans can do more harm than good as they disrupt the overall pattern of air flow through the motherboard. However, they can be necessary when video cards run too hot and need cooling.

All these new cases have side fans now,but I think I'll stay old school here,you bring up a good point.

Last edited:
The woman works nights... Once she has left for work I will get started and report back. I think I could adjust the NB up to 2400 too. I left it at stock settings.

Ok, added the 50mm fan over the NB Heatsink and the 40mm fan over the other heatsink...

I am at 4.515 currently and temps are WAY lower.

CPU stays around 47c, and the socket temp is around 60max, usually hanging around 57-58. Yes, I am blending using Prime. Yes I have ran it at 4.7ghz just fine for hours on end... With the better cooling I think I could run it 24/7 stable at 4.7ghz on air. I am only using 3.76v at 4.515, gonna try and see if I can squeek 4.6ghz out of it on the same VCore.

*Edit*
I kinda knew it... I did some playing last night and it seems anything much above 4.5ghz requires 1.4vcore. I tried, but got Illegal SUMMOUT almost instantly. This was the same results as last night. Bumping to 1.4 and we will see how temps are.

Yeah, 4.62ghz, 2200MhZ NB, temps are around 51c for CPU and 61-62c for Socket. Much better, I think I could go to 4.7ghz and be a few degrees hotter, but at 50 degrees on the CPU, I think I am right where AMD designed this chip to be before degradation.

I am amazed at this chip. My last OC was a Q6600 and that thing ran HOT. I could barely get 800mhz OC out of it. This thing is far more capable than I am willing to push it. It would do 5ghz on air fairly easy if I was willing to let it, I would even bet 5.3ghz or so if I was willing to go to 1.6vCore.

Completely amazed. I am going to game with it at 4.62ghz and see if this is going to be my daily clock.

Last edited:
In my personal experience, Side fans doesn't help to cool your CPU, but it does if you have heating issues on your GPU. for CPU, side fans may do more harm than help as it might create a little cyclone in your case rotating same warm air.

Best air flow you can achieve is taking cold air from the front and blowing it out from back and if any from top.

Said above, In this particular case, small fans pointed to the particular spot (I guess they call it spot fan) will definitely help but makes your interior look kinda messy. And again while using spot fan try to make it blow in the particular spot from the front ie air from the spot fan should go towards the back of case not front.

IMHO, to get and stay stable at 4.5-4.6 in this system, All you need is 2 intake fans (that you already have) and Add 2 x 120mm good quality fans on the back and one 200mm fan on the top. Specially you want to have 2 back fans that can rotate as fast as your fan on 212 plus. ie same max RPM as a fan on hyper 212.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for amazon to ship the others. I am going to have 2 intake fans, one exhaust fan out the back and one fan mounted to the other side of my hyper212 for a push/pull config. I also have my two spot fans installed currently.

I think cooling is good enough right now and I doubt added the additional fans will improve temps much more than where they are at.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way with cooling suggestions. It's been a few years and I didn't want a case that sounded like a 747 for daily use.

Back