• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 and GA-970a-UD3 Overclock Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

Ok guys... I had to fight with the internet companies, i got two internet connections installed, and im going to dump one of them tomorrow, because its horrible. That took most of my day.

So here are the results of my PC's stock benchmark using 3dmark Vantage. Not quite where I hoped, but I am hoping when I OC I can get 20k+.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4581864

I am also having a hard time getting my box to boot sucessfully every time. It keeps saying it cant find the boot disk. I change from IDE to SATA in AHCI mode withing bios and then it boots.... When it happens again, I change it to SATA and it works, really weird. I am using a Vertex 4 SSD.

This bios is kind of funky, so any help would be appreciated.

I set the multiplier to 18x. When in windows running Prime 95 it keeps jumping between 15x and 18x when using CPUID. I have also upped the VCore by .025 I am at a 1.20 VCore.

Last edited:
We have very similar specs.I turn off all the green stuff in bios,and make sure windows 7 is set to high performance in power management.Make sure bios is NOT controlling your cpu fan,it will throttle fan speed."Smart fan" should be turned off.Some of the other green crap will screw with your oc too.I DO set LLC to extreme to compensate for v-droop,and Prime 95 testing.Gigabyte forums helped me through alot of problems. I went through a weird issue also.I could not get win7 to boot in achi mode.Finally,after reformatting in IDE mode,then switching to ACHI mode before first boot,with a saved image file,all was corrected.I own 3 of these boards (all working) ,and soon getting a 4th,for another gaming build .Thick sturdy,8+2 power phase,for higher clocks,and cheap.I always say I will break my budget and go with a pricy mb,but for about 100 dollars you cant go wrong!

Load default bios settings,then check for problems.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726326

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Full Tower
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core @ 4.4g w/1.375v 18c-49c max
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm x (2)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SIGNATURE2 2048MB GDDR5
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Corsair TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze
Logitech X-540 5.1 System w/Sub
ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR DG
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer x(2)
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb
WD Blue 1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache
WD Black 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
Sata III Internal HDD Docking Station
Win764bit

Last edited:
Ok, found out if I disable the AMD APM in bios it will stop that funky down stepping multiplier thing.

Here is my current stable OC.

is 49 degrees Celsius pushing it too hot?

Last edited:
The package temps are the cpu socket temp.There seems to be no danger in cpu temps,but it does seem high for that oc.I use MX4 for thermal paste,the less the better sometimes.The northbridge would be my concern @61C.I heard these board can handle the higher temps,but if you look close at your motherboard nb, is held on by plastic push pins :) .I use open hardware monitor,to monitor northbridge temps will gaming.It does this in real time,so I can check temps after gaming to see where it maxed out.I never noticed my northbridge temps going above 50C.

What about airflow in your case?Anything blocking airflow over northbridge heatsinK?

Last edited:
I thought i felt that NB chip move a little... I don't know if I can secure it more or not. I wonder if its just not seated correctly.

I only have a single Fan on the Hyper 212+. I have no other cooling besides an intake fan in the front of the case. I need to get a push/pull setup on my Hyper 212+ and a fan for my case window and a few fans on the top of the case. For now, with minimal cooling it has been rather stable. Highest Vantage score of P22041

I stand corrected,but we can agree that 61C is northbridge temps?

I doubt the 61c is CPU_NB, I rather think it is the CPU Socket temp. You get it nailed down as to how HWMonitor is reading a specific Giga board and the next thing you know it seems something else.

He captured the pics on the whole screen and I am having a hard time seeing the numbers well on my rig.

The dang forum will not let me search backwards more than 500 Posts so I cannot find the one post I made to a user on giga stuff where he put up pics of 3 temp programs. Using alll three we were able to find out what was what on his giga mobo. But I cannot find that post. Crap.
RGone...

EDIT:
I used some search terms and found the post I was looking for.

I think the graphic below will help shake-out the temps as we know them in HWMonitor which we use all the time. At least for the often thought strange Giga UD3 temp read-outs.

END EDIT.

Last edited:
RGone.Thank-You!!Glad you found that,I have the image saved for future reference.I was mislead,by a long shot.I do the the idle temp,if your looking at "package temps "in Hardware Monitor,is incorrect,but when things heat up the package temps or core temp is very accurate.

Package temp idle reads 6c in Hardware Monitor,but in amd overdrive it reads 17c,which I verified further cross-referencing temps in bios.

I had a hard time reading that screenshot too,It looked like it was sitting @ 4g.

Last edited:
1. > when things heat up the package temps or core temp is very accurate.

2. > cross-referencing temps in bios.

3. > I had a hard time reading that screen shot too,It looked like it was sitting @ 4g.

1. None of the cpu manufacturing companies are in the heating and cooling business. Their concern is with load temps. The only time I give two hoots about the idle temps is if I see them comparatively high. I know then the the load temps will be high also. That is the indicator I look at not an actual temperature.

2. The only issue with corresponding bios temps with temps within windows is that the bios does put a load on the cpu. Years ago on the order of nearly 100% load. Today it is more difficult to determine but it is on the order of at least 40% as I have been able to understand.

3. Yes we have thread after thread asking that the captures never be of an entire moniitor screen and still it is not understood for crap. Well it might be understood just not actually followed. If one cannot see the information clearly, then it is almost as if there is no information at all. Yes, I think it was close to 4.0Ghz since I could determine it was 3,9xx.

Last edited:
I've been looking through rose colored glasses,but now I feel enlightened.At any rate,that's not a huge overclock to justify that socket temp.Motherboard temp,and NB temps are fine.So its all about load temps,which is the real concern.I don't even use Prime 95.My real load is gaming on ultra settings @1080P,which is my real world test.

Last edited:
RGone, that makes me feel a little better.... Do you think just adding more fans to the case will get that temp lower? I am using the 212+ and thought that should have helped a lot. I had to mount the cooler in that orientation due to it would be hitting the RAM slots if I didn't and I wouldn't be able to add more in the future.

Any advice on what fans I should get and how to set them up in the case for pushing/pulling would be appreciated.

They are 120mm fan mounts.

Attached a Picture of my case in its current form.

Last edited:
The Hyper 212 is the only HS I have ever used, and must have changed it out dozens of times.First start here,

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

2nd- Your temps are higher than normal,especially using that heatsink.I would get another fan and re-apply tim using this guide.Don't make your lines to thick on the hs,after smoothing gaps in surface,and I always put 1 small dab on cpu itself.This is a very subjective,so opinions will differ,but practice makes perfect:) I always do a few dry runs first,to make it dummy proof,so to speak.I call it my attempt at perfection.

I have always used (2) to fans for push and pull,and even my Phenom II 965 would idle @30c -52C max depending on the game,using this hs.Your position in the case is fine.That's how mine is set up,but more inline with back exhaust fan,which really comes down to case layout, in relation to motherboard..Corsair Vengence low profile ram works well if using more than 2 sticks of ram.

* EVO is easier to work with vs the Plus,but both cool equally well.After use the EVO,I cant go back to the plus.I still had to fill gaps on the evo,but is was 1 swipe,a few lines, and a dab,and your good!

Another weird reading.Look at TMPIN1 in AMD Overdrive vs CUPID.These are not load temps,so maybe cupid is ignoring idle temps,which seems to be the case, until things heat up.It treats package temps the same.

Attachments

• TMPIN1.jpg
    TMPIN1.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 2,488
Last edited:
Thanks for the help. When I get some time after work today I will give your arctic silver heat sink thing a try.

Here is a video of what I did.

Ok, after a bunch of reading online, it looks like the using HWMonitor TPIN2 = CPU Socket Temp. TPIN1 = NB Temp. TPIN0=Motherboard Temp.

So I think I am fine heat wise. There are plenty of people running upwards of 70c.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1048912/...s-club-help-thread-fx-8350-support-added/1140

*edit*

Ok, here is the response back from vendor.

Dear customer,

SYS = TMPIN0 = Motherboard
CPU = TMPIN1 = CPU
MCH = TMPIN2 = Northbridge

Still a mystery. I am going to go with Wipout though, as that makes much more sense.

Wipeout: I also read somewhere that the AMD stuff wont register unless its above 45c. So maybe thats why its not showing anything?

Last edited:
"Wipeout: I also read somewhere that the AMD stuff wont register unless its above 45c. So maybe thats why its not showing anything?"

What are you referring to as "not registering"?

TPIN2 shows a range of 17-34c. Seems to me it's registering something but maybe not accurately.

Those Overdrive images are too small and fuzzy for me to read the labels. Just a piece of advice for future reference - it's more work but better visually for those helping you if you crop, save and post the images individually rather than as a cluster on the desktop. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Those of us with relatively small displays, especially laptops have a hard time reading the data.

Back