• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Touchscreen Fan Controllers - Reviews and Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Been looking at the BitFenix Recon Fan Controller and it seems nice, but I've noticed just about every review on it has had the same problems.

Anyone use this or use a different touch screen fan controller with no issues?

Last edited:
Been looking at the BitFenix Recon Fan Controller and it seems nice, but I've noticed just about every review on it has had the same problems.

funny you mention it.

I don't have it but I've used it. And... if i had to use a touchscreen fan controller, it would easily be my favorite of the ones I've used.

I used to have the recon and i have to say that it is a fairly decent controller. The individual temperature probes and the ability to control using software is really good.
My only problem with it was that it has fairly bad viewing angles. If you want a touch screen fan controller then go ahead and get the recon, you can't go wrong with it. :thup:

Food for thought. :)

I've had two (Sunbeam) Rheobus controllers on my server. Not the high voltage units. So far, for 6 years. They've never given one issue. I am talking about 24/7 of use. They only are off for cleaning the (home server) hardware, a few times replacing failed or bonkers hardware. When I do restart. I kick them back up to full speed, then lower them when the hardware is on. I can't rely on software to keep the fans going what I like. Which is 24/7 quiet.

I've had fancy controllers before. A couple of them were pretty and nice to use. Then one day... They gave out and there was nothing I could do.

How reliable do you want. You've read about some issues with the hardware. Is it worth it to gamble, and find out what you read about was right. For pretty?

If you move though hardware fast. Then go for it. If you need stable and reliable, get solid state proven reliable.

I also have 2 Sunbeam Rheobus controllers and have never had any issues with them. Those touch screens look like that have "nothing but problems" written all over them. That is just my opinion though, I have never used or owned one. They may work very well but I just never trusted them enough to use one.

Well I went ahead and ordered one along with a Corsair H110. Will report back tomorrow as I got overnight shipping.

Touchscreen controllers are a no-no, at least for me. I had an... Aerocool V5 maybe? Can't remember right now.

Well, the screen was the biggest POS I'd ever seen. I could hardly set RPM values, let alone go to the temperature mode. And it died maybe 5 months after I bought it, with gentle usage (I did not connect my San Aces to it, the hardest things were the GT AP-15).

IMHO, just buy a PWM fan and use lm-sensors' fancontrol or SpeedFan.

I've put the NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller in a couple of friends cases that wanted them, looked good, function was pretty easy, could make the case silent for movies, they are happy with them and have been running for 2+ years? Was it needed...not really, did it look cool yes :cool:

I picked one up for $17 on sale and am still debating if i should put it in...

Will be interested in hearing you feelings on the BitFenix controller

Well they should arrive tonight just not sure about my HAF X case. Newegg still says it will be here tonight but its on a Late Train. My h110 and recon are already out for delivery to me.

But if they all come in tonight ill throw some photos up and let you all know how they are.

Well, here they are

My HAF X case had some bullcrap delay and was shipped via LATE TRAIN so Newegg got a great email from me.

But my case will be here tomorrow and I can install everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 176
Can't control shipping or mistakes in timing. Part of the world, the email might make you feel better but... Meh. Live with it.

Anyhoo, I'm late to respond. My Media Center PC I used this. Not a true touch screen but flat and and covers with a window. Can turn the lights off with just a button and not hard to adjust. Very unobtrusive and fits well on my new PC. I run 3 channels and it hasn't messed up yet.

I did homework on it before I bought it last year.

Of course I din't bother with the temp sensors. I know better.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=33921

Can't control shipping or mistakes in timing. Part of the world, the email might make you feel better but... Meh. Live with it.

Anyhoo, I'm late to respond. My Media Center PC I used this. Not a true touch screen but flat and and covers with a window. Can turn the lights off with just a button and not hard to adjust. Very unobtrusive and fits well on my new PC. I run 3 channels and it hasn't messed up yet.

I did homework on it before I bought it last year.

Of course I din't bother with the temp sensors. I know better.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=33921

I was about to ask about temp sensors and if they are worth installing or just trashing.

Monitor the CPU/ GPU temps. Nothing else matters. Running the sensor wires is a pain, looks bad, and soon forgotten as a temp measurement for the rest of your PC modding experiance.

Monitor the CPU/ GPU temps. Nothing else matters. Running the sensor wires is a pain, looks bad, and soon forgotten as a temp measurement for the rest of your PC modding experiance.

I'll probably just use HW monitor for the temp readings as I bought the controller for bling mainly.

Appreciate the heads up. I took my PC apart last night and cleaned everything and put it all back in boxes as my new case should arrive today.

It really depends on what you want. I'd say that the current tech isn't really quite at the level that I personally would like to see for touch-screen controllers. Personally, I have an Aquaero 5 Pro in my system. It's expensive, but worth 5x what it costs considering the functionality that comes with it. While it's not touch screen, it has only 3 buttons, and you can get a remote that has full keyboard support.

So, in the end, are they alright? Yes. Are they as good as they can be? In my humble opinion, no.

I believe it's the fact PCs aren't meant to be sat in front of and poked at all day. Most people put them under desks. Which would make it hard for some to keep getting down there and having to poke around on the screen. When in a more simplistic fashion, you can just open a program and control fans.

The fact I can control it from my phone is pretty neat. Going to see how all that goes.

Last edited:
I own an NZXT sentry and it works just fine. I have it sitting up on my desk and you can turn the backlight off (for when you want to sleep or whatnot). Personally I'm getting a new fan controller with higher wattage channels because I want to do cooling zones with my fans and just chain em.

It works, the touch screen isn't responsive as it could be. Haven't got to use the phone control because I moved into my new house and don't have Internet here yet. So I haven't set all of that up.

Also the viewing angle is limited as you need to pretty much be looking at it head on.

Wires, wires, and more wires. Has 5 fan wires, 5 temp sensors, and 2 USB wires. Manageable but tons of them.

But overall I like it, it looks great sitting in my comp and has a nice smooth finish.

Back