• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't overclock Q8200 more than 2,778Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gerupc

Hi all,

This is my first time overclocking my CPU. Before starting, I have read a lot of information about overclocking in general, and specially how to overclock my CPU (Q8200).

My motherboard, is one ASRock G31M-GS (DDR2 RAM). Ok, lets see if I can explain propperly: I can go bumping my CPU FSB into 402Mhz, with 7 multiplier. Voltages, DRAM frequency etc, all is on AUTO. EIST and CIE, both disabled.

Ok, when I'm trying with 403Mhz, I got this error when booting:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

After that, I try to put my VTT into 1.3v, DRAM voltage into 2.000... but anyways, I only can reach my 402Mhz on FSB (this is, 2,778 Ghz Core speed)

My DRAM frequency only shows me 2 options: 402Mhz and 484Mhz.

Here you have, two pictures from my CPU info and my Memories:

20jo7rl.jpg
2gumrgo.jpg

By the way, I run this very stable. I have read on a lot of posts/guides, that with this CPU I can reach at least 3.0Ghz.

Anyone can help me with this? Why I can't put more than 402Mhz in my CPU frecuency with this VTT?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
mmm could be because of my RAM's low frecuency? (400Mhz). If it is because of this, could I overclock my RAM in order to be able to overclock more my CPU?

Your RAM is currently running at DDR2-794 (369.9MHz x 2), so assuming you have DDR2-800 installed, the modules are currently under-clocked. Post the exact model of RAM installed, including the rated frequency, timings, and voltage. And either post pic's of all the BIOS screens that have overclocking related options, or fill out and post a BIOS template showing all of your current settings.

Hi, thanks for answer.

Here you have one memory screen (both slots have same settings/features):

14npd5.jpg

Is there any kind of software for see my BIOS settings, or export them as a text? I has been searching on Google, but I haven't found nothing related :-S. Only some BIOS templates for specific Motherboards (not mine).

By the way, you say that my RAM is underclocked, should I overclock it?

Again, thanks for the answer.

Hi again Redduc900,

Ok, sorry but I didn't understand you well I think. Do you mean I have to loosen that timings of 400Mhz JEDEC #3?

In my BIOS settings, I can set some timings (tRC, tRAS...), but I think is "in general". Not individually (not JEDEC #1, JEDEC #2 or JEDEC#3).

I'm not sure if I understood you :-S. Thanks you very much for helping me.

the cas latency6
ras to cas 6
ras precharge 6
and tras 18

ASRock G31M-GS (DDR2 RAM), I had it it (tRAS) to auto, the same than other timings.

I will try with that and with tRAS on 15.

You just might be hitting a brick wall with your CPU. Maybe play around a little more with your VTT adjustments and voltages. But the Q8200 can have difficulty with a 400mhz FSB. Compared with a Q9550 which will run a 400 FSB all day. You may want to look for a better proc, or spend some money on an overhaul and upgrade to a new platform.

No, it doesn't work with tRAS on 15 and the rest timings on 6 :-S.

Storm-chaser, I have this overclock (on 402Mhz, 2,778Ghz), the whole day since 3 days ago, hehe. It works awesome and very very stable, that is why I want to test a bit more (and because I have read that a lot of people have reached 3,1Ghz easily).

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

ASRock G31M-GS not a great overclocking motherboard probably doesnt have voltage settings and stuff, see if it has a cpu voltage or a NB voltage settings

Yes, it does.

I can change that Voltages, I tried increasing a bit Vcore (to 1.3v), but not working :-\. Now is again to auto.

try NB voltage and\or drop the ram multiplier to like 5:4 or something like that

Nothing :-S, I tried to set a bit higher NB voltage (1.2xx and 1.3xx)v and still can't go further. My motherboard doesn't let me set multipliers for FSB:RAM :-\.

Back