• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous11

Registered
I am looking for some information on fan controllers. I have spent the last couple of days trying to find some resources on what to look for with fan controllers.

I am not sure if there is a sticky I missed or some keyword search I should have done, but didn't.

Anyways what I am looking for is, I am in the process of planning a new build, and have not used a non built in fan controller before, and I need to know what to look for in a new one. Such as watts, channels, how they interact, some possible reviews, any general information, if someone wants to recommend one that would be helpful, but I would like to know why it is recommended.

Thanks for the help.

My two cents for a new build. PWM everything. But, seriously. ABSOLUTELY everything.

Then just go to bing's den and build a 556-timer-based controller. Or connect it to your motherboard and control it via lm-sensors + nct6775 or SpeedFan.

Analog fan controllers are just not worth it nowadays IMHO. The powerful fans usually have PWM controls if they are not too old (Delta, San Ace, Nidec BetaV and black GTs...). And the cheap fans are silent enough not to be an annoyance.

Depends how many fans you want per channel. Most of the good reliable reasonably priced ones are 30w.

What information are you looking for... both you and the threadjacker:)p)? Basically, you just need to know the type of fans you are getting and number of them, how many amps/watts they can pull, and if they are PWM or simple 3 pin. Once you know that, you can look at the controllers you are interested in to see if it can support that amount of wattage (most will, its when you get in to daisy chaining that you need to worry for the most part), and plug type (PWM/3pin).

Lamptron has been having problems with their controllers lately. Stuff about their capacitors making noise, overheating, quitting. I would stay away from them for now. I also wouldn't advise a touch screen but that's my personal opinion. I ordered a sunbeam, hopefully it gets here soon.

What I am looking for is some general information on the controllers, as I do see Daisychaing fans to be a real possibility. I am looking at a new case and want to have 9 Yate Loons on the controller, I want to try and do 3 per channel, but as I am not savvy with this.

I need to know what I should be looking for as far as amps per channel, or watts per channel. I remember reading something about it once and cannot seem to find it anymore(may have been in the water cooling thread, but I just couldn't find it).

You have all the information you need... Watts per channel. That means how many watts each channel of the fan controller you want to use can handle. Newegg or the manufacturers website will have that information.

Just remember 1A=12W

AS far as your YLoons, here is the math: .3A*12 = 10.8W

What I was looking for was the difference between PWM fan controller and a non-PWM fan controller. What I failed to realize was that PWM and "other" were the connector types. I just had a moment of "durrrrrr". Sorry for the thread-jacking.

Back