• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you nailed the differences pretty darn spot on Zebodog. The only other thing I see is that Pro description for the VRM is almost identical to the description of the VRM circuit for the Sabertooth and CHV. The EVO seems into saying it wil auto do this or that and has Auto Leveling which if not able to disable will interfere with overclocking. That is if I can read writing.
RGone...

The only other thing I see is that Pro description for the VRM is almost identical to the description of the VRM circuit for the Sabertooth and CHV. The EVO seems into saying it wil auto do this or that and has Auto Leveling which if not able to disable will interfere with overclocking.

This is the info I was looking for. I already know about the crossfire and pci-e advantages of the Pro, but I'm hardly a gamer, so that's not going to make much difference. I grabbed the Pro because I wasn't sure at the time if the X and FX chipsets were actually different in any meaningful way but wanted to be safe. Still don't know that, but it sounds like the rest of the features in terms of voltage delivery favors the board I picked. Good to know.

One thing I've been seeing a lot of recently is people apparently using AI Suite instead of BIOS. I've literally never installed it on any of my systems- is that software just a gimmick like I'm figuring?

this is a really good guide. i will go by it if i ever buy an AMD board or if i ever buy another intel board.

i remember my asrock board was having some issues with power once. kept shutting off while i was playing natural selection 2. didnt even overclock yet at that time!

One thing I've been seeing a lot of recently is people apparently using AI Suite instead of BIOS. I've literally never installed it on any of my systems- is that software just a gimmick like I'm figuring?

AI Suite can be handy for testing system settings without having to reboot and enter the BIOS. Once you've tested the settings then you can go into the BIOS and make the permanent changes.

I've seen some claim that AI Suite is unstable, but I haven't experienced that yet; I find it semi-useful especially the Thermal Radar for controlling fan speeds. Controlling the CPU and CPU_Opt fans does require PWM fans but that shouldn't be a major issue.

Too each their own. Personally I don't use any software of that type. Too much "low level" software is never a good idea. IMO

My Sabertooth R2.0 has been rock solid, several of the other guys I converse with here with the same board have also had zero issues. Overclock functionality is excellent. 99-100% IMHO.

I'm not a fan of the Thermal Radar suite, in fact I'm not using it all due to some odd issues it has with fan control/management. I'm using the AI Suite II from the M5A99X EVO R2.0 board instead, far superior IMO. Perfectly stable, relatively low overhead, and the fan control works perfectly on my Sabertooth R2.0

Yes, the older versions of AI Suite II had some quirks. The latest version from the M5A99X EVO R2.0 downloads is solid, and will work on most of Asus's other current AMD related boards.

Glad I have this board and didnt wait for a Gen3, lol.

Why does AMD have so few PCI-E lanes compared to Intel? My motherboard can do 4x GFX cards all PCI-E 2.0 16x... but AMD can barely do two? Why is this? Q_Q

Why does AMD have so few PCI-E lanes compared to Intel? My motherboard can do 4x GFX cards all PCI-E 2.0 16x... but AMD can barely do two? Why is this? Q_Q

I guess that's how they can justify the $300 price difference. The Sabretooth and Crosshair will both run 4 slots but not at X16. But dual x16 suits most users,

Your motherboard isn't actually doing that, it's just pretending to.

Look at Intel LGA1155/1150, you get 20 lanes. AMD FX chipsets you get 32, just like the X79 platform.
Your SR2 only has 32 lanes, which are split by NF200 chips. You still only get the x32 bandwidth to the CPU, just like the 790/890/990FX boards.

Your motherboard isn't actually doing that, it's just pretending to.

Look at Intel LGA1155/1150, you get 20 lanes. AMD FX chipsets you get 32, just like the X79 platform.
Your SR2 only has 32 lanes, which are split by NF200 chips. You still only get the x32 bandwidth to the CPU, just like the 790/890/990FX boards.

So the 2 other SLI'ed cards (Since the AMD board and Intel boards have the same x32 bandwith) won't run at x16? Pretending? What? Should I sue EVGA for false advertising? Lol, there are many other intel mobos that run 4x GFX Cards x16, like the Rampage IV, etc. Do explain...? Are they all "faking"?

Last edited:
the lanes are decided by the cpu each cpu type has a certain allowed lanes. the mobo manu's decide how to split them up. Unless your board has a NF200 chip or the likes there is no possible way for them to extend the number of lanes. Just cant be done due to cpu limitations. This is why i search high and low for my UD7 board it has the NF200 chip on it allowing me true dual x16 or quad x8 because it allows for additional lanes via its chip.

the lanes are decided by the cpu each cpu type has a certain allowed lanes. the mobo manu's decide how to split them up. Unless your board has a NF200 chip or the likes there is no possible way for them to extend the number of lanes. Just cant be done due to cpu limitations. This is why i search high and low for my UD7 board it has the NF200 chip on it allowing me true dual x16 or quad x8 because it allows for additional lanes via its chip.

Oooooh, so Intel and AMD aren't different in the respect of PCI-E lanes. Why do no AMD mobos have these additional chips? Not even the highest AMD enthusiast class mobo I could find has more than 2x x16, The ASUS Crosshair V Formula...

Good to know.

Cost reduction. The AMD FX has 32 lanes VS the 20 intel gives you. They can get you a legit 2x x16 + 1 x8 native, users willing to shell out for quad SLI are going to buy intel anyways, so why increase the cost of the mobo for features no one will use.

Plus, why would Nvidia sell a direct GPU competitor NF200 chips?
Best part: NF200 doesn't support PCIe 3.0.

ssjwizard- Nice write up.I feel better educated.

My gigabyte 970a-ud3 just bit the dust, and took my ram with it.Not sure if it was the psu or the board because the psu fan just stopped while the system was running. Using a 6 month old Corsair TX650 when this happened.I dont want to discourage anyone from the 970A-ud3 because its a great board for its price range.This my first problem, out of 3 boards of this model.

It isn't the UD3 1.1 boards that are giving problems today but the UD3 REV3.0 boards that have trouble with FX processors and supplying solid Vcore and not throttling.
RGone...

could be added to notes the Beta BIOS for the 990FX ud3 that has APM option. It werkzzzzz :D

I see a BETA BIOS for the rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 but not the rev 3.0 which is the version with the problem. The latest BIOS Gigabyte is showing on their main site for the rev 3.0 is FC which has been out for a number of months.

there ie a beta bios to use on the rev3 the FDc and i found it on gigabyte forums uk i think. It needs to be flashed with q-flash from the BIOS . :thup:

Attachments

• 130626162155-BMP.jpg
    130626162155-BMP.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 451
  • 130626162206-BMP.jpg
    130626162206-BMP.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 130626162214-BMP.jpg
    130626162214-BMP.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 454
  • BIOS_990FXA-UD3_3.0_FDc.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
That gigabyte bios looks similar to ASRock's bios.I never owned a ASRock board. Just been watching alot of videos, with people overclocking those boards.I noticed Gigabyte are still selling the UD5's but UD7's look scarce.

Back