• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GTX TITAN Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The model they use seem to cost "a few titan card" ;) Maybe they have acces to the camera from a friend that work with this kind of equipement, or someone at hardware.fr work with this in a dayli basis.

Great review as always! :thup:

I am impressed by this card, but I do agree this is overpriced at 1k but it can't be called anything less than the best.

Thanks guys.

Made a quick run with Crysis 3 1080p, switching 8x MSAA to FXAA (with everything else maxxed out) and went from 37 FPS to 68 FPS. Truth be told, I'm not a serious gamer and couldn't much tell the difference.

Now, when running 5760x1080, making that same single change did not make that kind of difference. Maybe 2FPS.

EDIT - Pre-order on Newegg: ASUS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121724 . EVGA isn't up on the egg yet. You used to be able to pre-order on EVGA's site, but it looks like they're out of pre-orders.

Thing that bothers me is this card is over taking my card by negligible amounts and my cards a year old and can be had for like 350$ now ... and I've had my oc going for a year stable.

hardly seems right.

so i agree titan is overpriced. by about 400-500$ imho.

hopefully AMD will come out with a 8xxx series card that shows the price and performance margins were looking for.

even so i still would most likely not upgrade.

card looks nice tho

i should add im talking about hokies oc'ed runs not stock runs . stock runs im surpassing it still.

I still wonder, because it will not replace 690 GTX, whats the advantage of the 690 GTX? Because the Titan basically will provide same performance but at a much better GFLOP/W ratio, or it will provide better performance but at the same TDP, so its definitely a enhanced product.

Well, 690 GTX is still a bit ahead but just because its a double GPU with much higher TDP. But lets say the Titan is using same TDP, it would totaly outpace the 690 GTX. So whats the taste of this action? The taste simply is... that we dont get the full potential. Thats simply fact and not a myth, the rest of the story is up to everyones own interpretation.

I still wonder, because it will not replace 690 GTX, whats the advantage of the 690 GTX? Because the Titan basically will provide same performance but at a much better GFLOP/W ratio, or it will provide better performance but at the same TDP, so its definitely a enhanced product.

Well, 690 GTX is still a bit ahead but just because its a double GPU with much higher TDP. But lets say the Titan is using same TDP, it would totaly outpace the 690 GTX. So whats the taste of this action? The taste simply is... that we dont get the full potential. Thats simply fact and not a myth, the rest of the story is up to everyones own interpretation.
Its not remotely the same performance though. The 690 and 7970's both beat it out handily in most games.

NOt sure what your second paragraph means though.. tasting GPUs...:p

The main fact I see is that Powercolor offers a single PCB card that kills the Titan, for $200 less money.

on Titan's value:

I am not a rich kid.
but for the best single GPU, I don't think it is too bad.
you are talking about a Single GPU that can perform 'near X-fire 7970, that's amazing.

while for the same buck, you can buy a GTX 690 for better performance, but if I have that money now, I will buy a Titan. then maybe a year down the road, when I have more money, and games start to demand more, I get another and put them in SLI. 4-way scaling isn't anywhere near double of 2-way, but SLI is nearly double of single GPU.

so in that sense, I believe 2 x TITAN will be better than 2 x GTX 690

For as much as this site is compute-centric, I'm kind of surprised to not see any benches around distributed computing, eg folding, SETI, etc.

Everyone is criticizing this card, but only looking at it in the context of gaming. While it's still a huge price, if you only look at it from that perspective, it's unfair to compare it to anything else regardless of the fact that it's still a single GPU card and, as such, does still beat every other single. As I've said elsewhere, it's essentially a Tesla card for the masses (so to speak).

For as much as this site is compute-centric, I'm kind of surprised to not see any benches around distributed computing, eg folding, SETI, etc.

Everyone is criticizing this card, but only looking at it in the context of gaming. While it's still a huge price, if you only look at it from that perspective, it's unfair to compare it to anything else regardless of the fact that it's still a single GPU card and, as such, does still beat every other single. As I've said elsewhere, it's essentially a Tesla card for the masses (so to speak).

mostly AMD fan boys critizing only I think.

if AMD issued a card called IMMORTAL when these stats, the opposite will be true. lol.

Nice scores Hokie. And very nice work on the review. Yet again, it's good to be you :D

How long before there are partner versions of the card with extra bling going for $1250-1500?? Any notes from vendors on that ?

There are only a select couple of vendors producing these cards... at this time I believe only Asus and EVGA. It was also mentioned that those companies are not allowed to modify the card in any way. So I dont believe you will be seeing anything like that.

Back