• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaking my 3570k OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supertoast92

Registered
Hello, hoping to get some tips here for tweaking my OC settings right now. I've been on these settings for awhile, they're stable (to my definition anyway :D ), but with my Thermaltake LCS I'm getting as high as 92C when stressing in IBT. Now, I know these chips run hot, but I was wondering if I'm missing something in my settings that's causing unnecessary, excessive voltage.

Running my sig rig, just updated to the latest BIOS (couldn't resist the system stability footnote), and I've changed back the only OC settings I've messed with to get where I am now (and mainly have been for the past month or so):

X.M.P. profile 1 (DDR3 1600MHz) - running at 1.50000 V

CPU Vcore offset + 0.09500 (this puts me around 1.24V under full load, I experience nearly 1.3V with lighter loads due to the Vdroop...normal?)

LLC - Regular (lowest)

@4500MHz

One thing that has me curious is the PLL overvoltage setting. If I'm remembering correctly from articles I've read months ago, this is one of the culprits to excessive heat. What do you all recommend for this setting? Leave as default (Auto), or disable it?

From previous testing, this is about the lowest I've been able to go on Vcore to maintain stability. After running Linx for 10 passes, I lose a Windows service (different each time). Yeah I know, it isn't rock solid, but I'm not getting any BSOD's while gaming. I typically top out in the upper 60s C on the cores with something intensive, such as Crysis 2.

Should I try to push it lower, or stick with what I have and possibly go back up a bit on the Vcore? Are there other settings I should look into, or not bother? Could someone please help a mediocre OCer out, any opinions and feedback greatly appreciated. :)

Personally, I have never tried IBT as I've heard it is unrealistically stressful. I tend to just run Prime 95 for 30 min - 1 hour (with round off checking etc. on) and declare it stable enough for normal use.

Your 3570k must have a lower stock voltage than mine as I get 1.25V at 4.00GHz with the lowest positive offset (+0.005V) and lowest boost offset (+0.004V) and lowest LLC. I hit a max temp of about 70-75C under prime 95 with this.

If you are using offset voltage, shouldn't the voltage decrease at idle? Or have you disabled that feature? I think it's speedstep? Otherwise you might as well use a fixed Vcore instead of an offset.

Not sure about Asus motherboards, but on AsRock boards it is recommended to leave Internal PLL Overvoltage on it's default of Disabled unless you are going to more extreme overclocks (about 4.7GHz plus).

I leave all voltages on auto other than Vcore, Vboost, and RAM.

What temps do you get with stock settings and clocks (all auto / default)? 92C does seem quite high, although upper 60s under normal usage isn't that bad. I get about 60-65C max under normal usage for a day with some intensive gaming.

Ah, yes, IBT/Linx is pretty extreme; I typically only hit lower 70s C in Prime95. I still have Speedstep enabled, my idle Vcore is 1.12, cpu @1.6GHz. Strange thing is, it seems that the default setting on at least this ASUS board is "Auto" for the PLL overvoltage. I'm not sure if it's enabling it with the level of OC I am at or not. I'll try disabling it and testing stability.

I'm not quite sure what I get with stock; from what I remember I topped out in the 50s C I believe.

What's intriguing me is that I'm seeing peaks of nearly 1.3 Vcore, which droops to 1.24V when under maximum load. When gaming, though, it seems that I'm hanging in the 1.27-1.29 range. Would that call for some higher LLC settings? (As a side - I had been running LLC under the extreme setting because, being the "genius" I am, read an article quickly and decided that was best...lol. Someone suggested I bring that setting down, so now it's on the lowest setting. Auto is default on this board).

As it turns out the default on my board is actually 'Auto' for PLL overvoltage.

Try your LLC on level 3/5 or 5/10 or 50%. Whichever option your board gives.

Back