• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Speed and Multiplier dropping HARD after overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lysolabuser

Registered
Hey guys I had overclocked my i7-2600k on a sabertooth z77... never had this problem before... just after i guess i installed an SSD... and installed a new os and **** it started happening (im guessing) on CPU-Z it shows the multiplier at x16... and core clock at 1600... what is going on? i clocked at 1.33volts at 4.5ghz... and ran prime95 blend for about 6 hours no problem... i've attached a picture

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    124 KB · Views: 148
Give it a load with CPUz open. If the clock jumps up, that is EIST/C1E doing what they're supposed to and saving you some energy downclocking when the CPU is idle.

I guess it was EIST, because i disabled it and now its staying at 4500... Also I have a question though... i watch live streams on twitch.tv... and sometimes it starts to lag because the clock is still on 1600 when im watching live streams... it only kicks up to 4500 when i actually get into a game...

Do you save considerable amount of money on your electric bill by turning on power savings features on? I probably have the computer on 14 hours a day, every day... will it significantly lower the life of my cpu?

Doesn't save a ton (maybe a few bucks a year), won't do anything involving the life if your CPU.
If you have a reason not to run EIST/C1E, by all means turn it off.

Yes, that is normal with power saving settings in the BIOS turned on.

I actually leave them all on since it doesn't seem to affect stability on my overclock at all, and it reduces the voltage to less than a volt to the CPU when it's not loaded (which is nice). Plus it amounts to about 15W of power savings which about 12 hours a day is about $5/year or something.

Back