• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Overclocking question I5 3570K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBud

Registered
Hello all,
I'm new at this and I don't want to ruin anything or give myself unnecessary work. I'm wanting to overclock my I5 3570K and was getting ready to start doing so when I realized I have 16gb of corsair dominator 1600mhz on the way from amazon. (Right now I have 4gb of memory) Does my DDR3 have anything to do with me overclocking my I5?:screwy:
Can I overclock now or should I wait for my new ddr3 to get here?
Sorry about the noob question.
BigBud

Is there any specific reason why? or is it just a personal preference? Me, I have no idea and that's why I'm asking. I'm going to wait because it gets here on Tuesday and that isn't to far from now.
Thanks for the reply, I know it isn't the brightest of questions but im just trying to learn as I go.
Thanks again,
BigBud
Also, how do you get all your pc info under your post? I cant seem to figure it out. I don't see anything for a signature or anything. Maybe im looking to hard or not hard enough.

Welcome to the forums bigbud. If you are planning on overclocking you are going to need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you do not have one already. You should also list the components in your system so we can better help you. As far as waiting for your new ram to come the advice that Illphill said about waiting is a good idea. More memory can sometimes cause more instability. A stable overclock that you may be able to get your chip to with the 4 g memory installed may not be stable with the 16g. You should read this thread, while you are waiting.

I figured out how to do the signature and all my pc's info should be under the post now.
Thanks for your reply.
BigBud

Thanks, system looks good for overclocking, you should be able to get a good OC out of it.

I wouldnt wait on the memory as you are not overclocking the memory..(no point) since you have a "K" processor. Stock or not, adding that memory may cause you too add some other voltages regardless, so I say go for it.

Last edited:
I wouldnt wait on the memory as you are overclocking the memory..(no point) since you have a "K" processor. Stock or not, adding that memory may cause you too add some other voltages regardless, so I say go for it.

Ed, I've seen with AMD systems that more Ram will cause more stress on the system. I have had a processor stable with 2x2g ram stable at x clocks with no change to the fsb and then put 2x4g sticks in and had to increase some of the voltages a bit to get it stable at the same clocks. Even though, the sticks were same make, frequency and timings. Is this not common with Intel cpu's, I'm just curious?

It is, I mentioned that...:)

stock or not, adding that memory may cause you too add some other voltages regardless, so I say go for it.

Those voltages have nothing to do with overclocking the CPU however.

I figured out how to do the signature and all my pc's info should be under the post now.
Instead of just putting Mem:16gb Corsair Vengeance in your sig., be more specific by either listing the exact model number (Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 for example) or the rated frequency, timings, and voltage (DDR3-1600; 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V).

Thanks for the reply all. Also, Thanks for the heads up about putting the RAM Mhz in my sig.. Do I need to put ddr3? Is most I5 mem ddr3 or is there ddr2 for I5's also?
The memory ended up getting here today anyway. I did have to go into bios and enable xmp to get it right though. Now I just need to figure out how to Overclock then nut up and get to it! I just hope I don't mess nothing up. That's my only worry.
Thanks again everyone and sorry for the noob questions... but im learning.

I got it overclocked to 4.5
At %100 cpu the temp was right around 69 and the regular temp is at 31
Does this seem good? I think it is but Im new at this so...
Thanks

Temps look good, but how long die you stresstest the CPU Tod reach 69°C?

around 6 hours. But it seems im having a problem. When I restarted my pc I went to cpuz and my core speed is at 1600mhz and the multiplier is at 16 but every so often will jump back to my 4500mhz and multiplier is 45. Shouldn't it stay at that?
I looked in bios and it looks like it s 4.5ghz
Any ideas?

I tried adia64 first ...but have no idea how to actually use adia and wasn't to comfortable with it so I then used Prime 95's torture test for 6 hours. The instructions I followed told me to use prime 95 but I heard mixed reviews about prime so I tried adia first.
Here's the instructions I followed.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

can someone check this out for me to make sure I didn't do anything stupid by following these instructions?
I followed these directions to the T.
Then when I was done I hit F10 and hit save
Would it be better to download a new BIOS and start from there?
Thanks and please let me know.

Last edited:
Back