• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, I can't buy anything right now though. The lady person that I live with wants a couch, and now the washing machine decided it was a good day to die.

Might need to sell that NAS... :p

You can get one heck of a nice sectional AND a top of the line washer for what that NAS will pull down. Just make her stop there!

My "lady person" wants a new car and can't decide between a SRX or an Enclave. Oh, my aching budget!

God I would love to have that NAS to sell... Then again, I'd be so tempted to keep it as well. Decisions decisions. Right now, my vehicle needs some maintenance so it's my priority unfortunately. I'd love to keep this Linksys router because it's an absolute beast. But my current Archer C8 AC router does just fine for my modest home network, so like I said.... Priorities....

What do you mean too small for an OS? I'm running on a 120GB OS drive...:p ... I do wish it was bigger.

What do you mean too small for an OS? I'm running on a 120GB OS drive...:p ... I do wish it was bigger.

Well I run Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and it tends to eat up a lot of space (the sysWOW64 folder can grow quite large over time). This is a new build and I only have two games installed right now to my OS drive, and I'm already eating up 420GB! And ALL of my media, except for a few pictures are stored on separate drives. Of course, one of those games is GTA V and it eats up around 65GB on it's own, lol.

But I'm still happy to test this SSD. I'll probably use it as a slave drive and install the games I'm currently playing onto it. I haven't been gaming much at all over the last year and a half, but I just bought GTA V so I'm playing it more and more now. Plus I also have Witcher 3 when I got it free with my GTX 970, so that will be another game I'll likely start playing soon.

P.S. Just as an example, my "program files(x86)" folder is eating up 114GB right now on it's own and I swear I don't have a lot of programs installed as this is a new build. My current Windows folder is eating up another 22GB and that will only grow as the sysWOW64 folder grows. It takes a heck of a lot of maintenance to keep your installation streamlined, which is something I don't want to bother with too much beyond using CCleaner every so often.

Last edited:
Very much depends what you're doing with your machine, I have an HTPC which uses a 60Gb SSD as its boot drive with no issues. My Laptop has a 250GB SSD but I have all my large programs (Skyrim and Steam stuff) installed on the secondary 1TB HDD. I just put a 250GB M.2 drive onto a GA-Z97X-UD5H mobo, and that thing goes like s&@t off a shovel. Windows 8.1 installed on that from a USB 3.0 flash drive in about 15 minutes.

Very much depends what you're doing with your machine, I have an HTPC which uses a 60Gb SSD as its boot drive with no issues. My Laptop has a 250GB SSD but I have all my large programs (Skyrim and Steam stuff) installed on the secondary 1TB HDD. I just put a 250GB M.2 drive onto a GA-Z97X-UD5H mobo, and that thing goes like s&@t off a shovel. Windows 8.1 installed on that from a USB 3.0 flash drive in about 15 minutes.

Hey that Gigabyte board is the same exact board I'm running in my new build right now! Got it from the EggXpert program actually ;) So the M.2 drive is sweet huh? How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

Kind of sucks how the M.2 drive takes away the use of two SATA 6 Gb/s ports though... But that board isn't a ridiculously high-end board or anything.... I'm really craving all the connectivity of an X99 board myself. In the past I've always used high-end chipsets with the most features. I used Nvidia's high-end chipsets for a while, then when they exited the core logic chipset business I went to X58 and loved it. Would have upgraded to X79 if Newegg wouldn't haven't screwed up one of my assignments (they sent me the wrong board). I don't like sacrificing when it comes to the MOBO. But I have to admit, this Z97 board is really nice. Just a little short on connectivity and features is all. But the build quality and performance is top-notch.

Last edited:
Well I run Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and it tends to eat up a lot of space (the sysWOW64 folder can grow quite large over time). This is a new build and I only have two games installed right now to my OS drive, and I'm already eating up 420GB! And ALL of my media, except for a few pictures are stored on separate drives. Of course, one of those games is GTA V and it eats up around 65GB on it's own, lol.

But I'm still happy to test this SSD. I'll probably use it as a slave drive and install the games I'm currently playing onto it. I haven't been gaming much at all over the last year and a half, but I just bought GTA V so I'm playing it more and more now. Plus I also have Witcher 3 when I got it free with my GTX 970, so that will be another game I'll likely start playing soon.

P.S. Just as an example, my "program files(x86)" folder is eating up 114GB right now on it's own and I swear I don't have a lot of programs installed as this is a new build. My current Windows folder is eating up another 22GB and that will only grow as the sysWOW64 folder grows. It takes a heck of a lot of maintenance to keep your installation streamlined, which is something I don't want to bother with too much beyond using CCleaner every so often.

Do you have a lot of RAM? If so, you'd be surprised how much space you can free up by turning off hibernation ("powercfg -h off" from an elevated command prompt) and offloading the pagefile (create a dedicated page/swap NTFS partition 10%-20% larger than your RAM size AT THE EDGE/FRONT of a hard drive, assign a drive letter, and use the System Properties to assign NO pagefile to the system drive and a system managed pagefile to the one you just created).

A computer with 32GB of RAM can free up about 60GB of wasted space on the system drive this way.

I got an invite today. I don't have a link handy but it's a TPLink 500Mb/s powerline adapter. Nothing interesting at all compared to the stuff I was seeing.

I got an invite today. I don't have a link handy but it's a TPLink 500Mb/s powerline adapter. Nothing interesting at all compared to the stuff I was seeing.

Is it the one I linked to above? That would make 3 or 4 items in a row of the exact same thing for both you and I. We must be right next to each other in their database.

I want to be next to you guys too lol. I can't stop thinking about that 30TB NAS... Especially since the guy I sold that Linksys WRT1900AC router to just text me yesterday asking about NAS boxes for sale. Said he has friends in the IT field that are always looking for a bargain.

I did explain to him that the WRT1900AC router I sold him had BY FAR the best performance I've ever witnessed with an external hard drive attached as NAS. I was getting read speeds near 100 MB/s over the LAN, as opposed to 15-20 MB/s that's typical with all the newer AC routers I've tested (even on USB 3.0 ports). So he could always add a big external drive to his network for a cheap NAS solution until he can score a true NAS box. With that router it's actually practical.

Do you have a lot of RAM? If so, you'd be surprised how much space you can free up by turning off hibernation ("powercfg -h off" from an elevated command prompt) and offloading the pagefile (create a dedicated page/swap NTFS partition 10%-20% larger than your RAM size AT THE EDGE/FRONT of a hard drive, assign a drive letter, and use the System Properties to assign NO pagefile to the system drive and a system managed pagefile to the one you just created).

A computer with 32GB of RAM can free up about 60GB of wasted space on the system drive this way.
If you have 32GB of ram, leave the PF on the SSD and set it to 2GB. Disable hibernation and system restore if you don't need it.

To put the PF on a spinner is blasphemy. :p

I want to be next to you guys too lol. I can't stop thinking about that 30TB NAS... Especially since the guy I sold that Linksys WRT1900AC router to just text me yesterday asking about NAS boxes for sale. Said he has friends in the IT field that are always looking for a bargain.

I did explain to him that the WRT1900AC router I sold him had BY FAR the best performance I've ever witnessed with an external hard drive attached as NAS. I was getting read speeds near 100 MB/s over the LAN, as opposed to 15-20 MB/s that's typical with all the newer AC routers I've tested (even on USB 3.0 ports). So he could always add a big external drive to his network for a cheap NAS solution until he can score a true NAS box. With that router it's actually practical.

We put a few refurbs on FB recently if he's interested: facebook.com/PCSupremeKW

If you have 32GB of ram, leave the PF on the SSD and set it to 2GB. Disable hibernation and system restore if you don't need it.

To put the PF on a spinner is blasphemy. :p

I beg to differ. With large amounts of RAM, the pagefile will almost never be accessed, thus performance will not be degraded by putting it on a rust-bucket. Even with modern wear-leveling, having the pagefile on an SSD does cause undue writes to memory cells with a relatively shorter life than a platter. I advise people to offload from the SSD whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that is put on a spinner vs an SSD for a PF will be affected. While that may not be much, it can be something. Some programs actually REQUIRE one.

These days (as of a couple years ago honestly) there is no concern about additional writes on an SSD. For example, the Vector 180 I just reviewed... 50GB host writes /day for its 5 year warranty. Who can accomplish that during its useful life? How about even 10GB writes /day for 5 years?

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I advise people to offload from the SSD whenever possible.
There is just no point in moving it off the SSD to prevent unnecessary writes these days.

Last edited:
Just received my OCZ Vector 180 120GB SSD today. Seriously impressed with the scores I achieved in CrystalDiskMark. Truly amazing... That said, this is the first SSD I've ever used personally. I've always went with the latest spinners do to my need for capacity over speed. But if I were able to score a 512GB+ SSD similar to this in the future, I'll be a happy camper. I moved GTA V over to this SSD strait off and it took a little over half the space up, but it'll be easy to move back when I'm done playing it. This SSD is going to be reserved for whatever games I'm currently playing at the moment, or perhaps I may use it for any other apps that benefit from the insanely fast I/O. I'm sure I could make it my OS drive if I made some serious tweaks, but IMO it's just not worth it. I think 120GB is just too small for Windows 7 64-bit. The 32-bit version of Windows 7 would be a lot easier to manage on a small drive like this, but the 32-bit version has been obsolete ever since having more than 3.5GB of RAM became standard...

Last edited:
Back