• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not precisely sure what that would be. Just make sure the email address has @newegg.com after it I suppose? :shrug:

I simply replied that I was interested. I did some research and found a FAQ page on neweggs site stating that the program does exist and it is invite only.

Also when you get an assignment they only ask for shipping information, nothing crazy personal like CC info or last 4 of social if that's what you were wondering.

I haven't gotten my hard drive as of yet, but they sent me another email last night about a 5 port Ethernet switch. Well, I only have one hard-wired computer... and that's it. No laptops, no XBOX 360 or PS3, no smart TV or anything. So, I declined that product as I really wouldn't be able to test it at all.

Funny thing was, yesterday was the 13th when I got the email, the email said "respond no later than March 10th" :rofl: Hopefully that doesn't affect my enrollment in the program, maybe it was just a typo.

I got my product two days after receiving the shipping notification, but that's average from both amazon and newegg as I'm close to their warehouses.

I was invited to the program in early March and so far have only received the one product offer. I'd love to try out a switch :)

Just got my SSHD today, comes all the way from California, so I guess that's why it took a day or two more to ship. I figured it would come from Cali for this program. Haven't gotten to testing it yet though. It already makes more noise than my 7200RPM drive when it spins up... I don't like that about it.

Anyway, I just got another email from them today saying something from Seagate has shipped, I don't know if that was an error about the same product, or if once you accept a product from one company/catagory, you then accept ALL products from that company/catagory... :shrug:

Just got my SSHD today, comes all the way from California, so I guess that's why it took a day or two more to ship. I figured it would come from Cali for this program. Haven't gotten to testing it yet though. It already makes more noise than my 7200RPM drive when it spins up... I don't like that about it.

Anyway, I just got another email from them today saying something from Seagate has shipped, I don't know if that was an error about the same product, or if once you accept a product from one company/catagory, you then accept ALL products from that company/catagory... :shrug:

I own a first gen 2.5" hybrid drive and it made a considerable difference in boot time as well as commonly used application launches (looking at you photoshop).

The fact that you've received so many more emails from them in such a short time is making me paranoid I did something wrong. I realize there is no promise to get something offered but damnit I'll dance like a monkey for the chance to test out electronics!

lol well I too got an email a month or so back and replied i'd be happy to help. Welp nothing for a month so I sent a follow up email at which they replied to I'm now awaiting a 2Tb WD Green HDD to review. I also started thinking phishing and found this link with a quick google search. Glad to see its legit and cant wait for the products to trickle in.

Rhinotwotwo, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of mobo was it?

I'm just curious if it was something high end like a 990FX, or maybe a 990X or 970 chipset, or even the low end 8xx or 7xx they like to pawn off as "FX ready" just because an FX series chip will work on them, although they won't work optimally.

lol well I too got an email a month or so back and replied i'd be happy to help. Welp nothing for a month so I sent a follow up email at which they replied to I'm now awaiting a 2Tb WD Green HDD to review. I also started thinking phishing and found this link with a quick google search. Glad to see its legit and cant wait for the products to trickle in.

Wow, they're sending out nicer stuff than I imagined. I was expecting this to be all their cheap stuff that wasn't worth a damn, honestly. Guess this is going to be a pretty rewarding program. :bday:

Rhinotwotwo, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of mobo was it?

I'm just curious if it was something high end like a 990FX, or maybe a 990X or 970 chipset, or even the low end 8xx or 7xx they like to pawn off as "FX ready" just because an FX series chip will work on them, although they won't work optimally.

It was a 970 entry level board. It looks like 7 or so other people also got it because their reviews have "NewEgg EggXpert Review" next to it instead of "Verified Owner".

All the reviews are within a day or so of eachother as well so they must assign people, then scatter the products to the wind.

Welcome to the club! I've had my eye on getting a few of those drives so let me know what you think. Current reviews tend to be "Excellent!" or "DOA" so I'm nervous to gamble.

It was a 970 entry level board. It looks like 7 or so other people also got it because their reviews have "NewEgg EggXpert Review" next to it instead of "Verified Owner".

All the reviews are within a day or so of eachother as well so they must assign people, then scatter the products to the wind.

I would have loved to test that... :rofl: I guess it's not a program of getting what you want though. :) Also, I would need a retail version of Win 7 lol :facepalm: But that's something I'll end up buying sooner or later anyway.

No definitely not, you two guys get hard drives and that's what I'm in desperate need of *shrugs*, free is free.

I had some spare stuff lying around but I still had to purchase a CPU and RAM to test with so I guess it's not THAT free :p

No definitely not, you two guys get hard drives and that's what I'm in desperate need of *shrugs*, free is free.

I had some spare stuff lying around but I still had to purchase a CPU and RAM to test with so I guess it's not THAT free :p

No, I think Bobnova mentioned that earlier when he said "Hint: It's far from free." :p

Maybe they're just doing it to get us to buy more stuff from them to be able to test with? (Honestly, now I wish I had a benching comp instead of using my main rig... lol) </conspiracytheory>

No, I think Bobnova mentioned that earlier when he said "Hint: It's far from free." :p

Maybe they're just doing it to get us to buy more stuff from them to be able to test with? (Honestly, now I wish I had a benching comp instead of using my main rig... lol) </conspiracytheory>

I bought an inexpensive but decent AMD setup for this so I don't have to risk my main now looking to get a haf Xb to use as a better case for it

Still not done testing this hard drive, but I have to say it's starting to impress me. The noise it was making went away after a few spin-ups... maybe it had to be broken in?

EDIT: I also wanted to add something here: There are currently two reviews on the drive I'm testing. One was a longer detailed one, and the other was a very short one, and last night they were both labeled Eggxperts, but as of this morning, the short one is no longer an Eggxpert review and the long one still is. Maybe they do keep an eye on the reviews after all, and that one didn't meet their expectations (which it shouldn't have anyway, it wasn't very good).

Last edited:
Just finished writing my review. I gotta cut some out of it though as it's limited by a character count. Here's what I've written after cutting:

The Seagate ST500LM000 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) features an 8GB MLC NAND solid state drive paired with a 500GB 5400RPM hard disk drive using Seagate's Adaptive Memory Technology. This combines the speed of an SSD with the inexpensive storage capacity of a HDD, making an affordable alternative to a large-capacity solid state drive. Adaptive Memory Technology "learns" your computing habits and what applications you access most, and transfers higher-latency data from the 5400RPM disk drive to the SSD memory. However this SSD-like speed may only be limited to boot-up and few other applications due to it's restrictive 8GB limit.

The drive is 70mm wide, 100mm long, and an astonishingly slim 7mm tall, making it compatible with a multitude of laptops, and weighs only slightly more than an SSD. Seagate claims operating temperature ranges from 0C to 60C, and power consumption is a low 0.9W at idle, and 2.5W while working, which is about average for a laptop HDD.

The drive made a little noise when it spun up the first few times, but that quickly went away after starting to run some benchmarks; I guess it needed time to "break in". Now it is dead silent.

Boot time took around 24 seconds to load Windows 7 and was ready to go. Compared to a full-fledged SSD, this is only moderately slower, so that's very impressive! My 7200RPM Seagate drive takes twice as long to boot at around 50 seconds.

The test system is a desktop computer with an AMD FX-4100 @ 4.2GHz, 8GB of PNY Optima memory @ 1400MHz, and an ASUS M5A88V-Evo motherboard. I had my doubts about the performance of this drive in benchmarking, as they will not take advantage of the Adaptive Memory and it will test more like a sluggish 5400RPM drive, yet benchmarking yeilded some very surprising results as this little drive managed to outperform my 7200RPM drive in most tests, although only by a small margin. The test used was CrystalDiskMark3 x64 and was run several times and the results were averaged.

ST500LM000 (SSHD) Primary Drive (running Windows 7)

Sequential Read 106.8 MB/s
Sequential Write 114.7 MB/s
Random Read 512K 37.80 MB/s
Random Write 512K 58.40 MB/s
Random Read 4K 0.432 MB/s
Random Write 4K 0.883 MB/s
Random Read 4K QD32 1.005 MB/s
Random Write 4K QD32 0.859 MB/s

7200RPM (HDD) Primary Drive (running Windows 7)

Sequential Read 108.2 MB/s
Sequential Write 106.3 MB/s
Random Read 512K 31.06 MB/s
Random Write 512K 45.03 MB/s
Random Read 4K 0.362 MB/s
Random Write 4K 0.864 MB/s
Random Read 4K QD32 0.807 MB/s
Random Write 4K QD32 0.967 MB/s

In conclusion, this drive really impressed me, and blew my initial expectations away. As a laptop hard drive upgrade, this is a very affordable and worthwhile product offering some limited SSD performance paired with a large capacity HDD.

I certainly believe they are QA'ing the reviews. The mobo I have had 12 reviews yesterday and 10 today. Whether or not NewEgg removed them personally I can't speculate.

Back