• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just finished writing my review. I gotta cut some out of it though as it's limited by a character count. Here's what I've written after cutting:
where is close to ssd performance? The drive barely looks faster at all.. none the less close to ssd...

What about atto results? (Or any other program)

How much is the price compared to a normal hdd? Are the minute differences worth the cost?

Our ssd booted in half that time.. how did you measure boot times?

The benchmarks don't use the SSD portion of the drive, only the hard drive. It only copies frequently used files for programs on there, not temporary benchmarking files. I tried running the same benchmark several times on the SSHD to see if maybe it would copy them over but the results stayed the same, so I figured it would be better to compare it to a 7200RPM drive, which would be a likely speed that it would be "upgraded" from as this is being marketed as a laptop hard drive "upgrade".

There is a very restrictive character limit, I was going to do more results but there was no way they'd be able to fit. As I said I had to cut it down.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't have time to finish answering all the questions this morning. I had to run and go be in a St. Patty's day parade like... right then. lol

The price I did forget to mention, but in all honesty even if just for the boot time it is worth the cost IMO.

I measured the boot time with a stopwatch from the time the "Loading Windows" splash screen appeared to the time all icons had loaded in the task bar and it was able to quickly open an application.

Last edited:
your review is nice but in the effort to meet their char limits you might want to leave the specs out of your review as they are on the tab prior to the feedback. Instead just give your thoughts on the drives performance.

your review is nice but in the effort to meet their char limits you might want to leave the specs out of your review as they are on the tab prior to the feedback. Instead just give your thoughts on the drives performance.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. It is rather redundant info and would allow me some more headroom for maybe another benchmark.

EDIT: I'm still new at this, so I appreciate any and all feedback. :)

Last edited:
Well, I just spent my first, albeit small, amount of money at Newegg because of this review program; I bought a SATA cable and a drive bay adapter and I'm going to replace my 7200RPM drive with this little rig because it impressed me so much. :)

I think I may have gotten the switch you passed up, I got an email today for the 8 port gigabit model.

On a side note I got bit by the case mod bug again and now I'm tumbling down the rabbit hole T_T

The benchmarks don't use the SSD portion of the drive, only the hard drive. It only copies frequently used files for programs on there, not temporary benchmarking files. I tried running the same benchmark several times on the SSHD to see if maybe it would copy them over but the results stayed the same, so I figured it would be better to compare it to a 7200RPM drive, which would be a likely speed that it would be "upgraded" from as this is being marketed as a laptop hard drive "upgrade".

There is a very restrictive character limit, I was going to do more results but there was no way they'd be able to fit. As I said I had to cut it down.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't have time to finish answering all the questions this morning. I had to run and go be in a St. Patty's day parade like... right then. lol

The price I did forget to mention, but in all honesty even if just for the boot time it is worth the cost IMO.

I measured the boot time with a stopwatch from the time the "Loading Windows" splash screen appeared to the time all icons had loaded in the task bar and it was able to quickly open an application.
THere are applications that do that... check out our SSD reviews... :) :thup:

Oh ok, I must have not been paying attention. I'm moving in a few days and my new man cave will be perfect for connecting everything to a central hub before the router :)

I've been an eggxpert reviewer for about 5 months now, over that period I've been sent 3 external drives. 2.5 TB in total. 1 internal 1TB. 4 routers 1 with 1TB internal storage. Two Gbit switches, 5 port and an 8 port, they offered me a 16 port and this was the only item I turned down. A couple of 32GB flash drives, some powerline network adapters, and just recently a mid range AM3+ motherboard. Adding it up and it comes to about $900 worth of kit. Enjoyable process, let's face it who doesn't like playing with new kit especially if it's free!

Last edited:
just posted up my first review for the WD 2TB Green drive. Hopefully they like it and keep sending me stuff. So far been a painless experience. Did drop about 2504 for a case (test bench of sorts) and a mobo and processor so I dont have to risk my main

I've been an eggxpert reviewer for about 5 months now, over that period I've been sent 3 external drives. 2.5 TB in total. 1 internal 1TB. 4 routers 1 with 1TB internal storage. Two Gbit switches, 5 port and an 8 port, they offered me a 16 port and this was the only item I turned down. A couple of 32GB flash drives, some powerline network adapters, and just recently a mid range AM3+ motherboard. Adding it up and it comes to about $900 worth of kit. Enjoyable process, let's face it who doesn't like playing with new kit especially if it's free!

Holy guacamole! I love Newegg! I'm hoping I meet their standards so I can continue reviewing.

Man you guys make me a little jelly with this. I have literally placed over 100k in transactions with newegg between purchases for myself and my friends since they first showed up. I have written dozens of detailed reviews on newegg over the last 10 years, and Ive never even heard of this program before now.

Man you guys make me a little jelly with this. I have literally placed over 100k in transactions with newegg between purchases for myself and my friends since they first showed up. I have written dozens of detailed reviews on newegg over the last 10 years, and Ive never even heard of this program before now.

Well duh! They don't have anything to send you, you've purchased everything! :)

Before you get too down, I was just invited this month and the guy above has been a member for 5 months so it appears that they stagger their invites.

Ha. Speaking as somebody who does 3k-7k word reviews, the concept of reviewing a $50-$150 item in 300 words or less is extremely attractive.

That'd take squat for time. Maybe I should email them, I wonder if they're taking applications.

I was just invited a few days before making this thread sometime last month. I really haven't purchased all that much from them... probably just around $1500 worth. =/

I'm certain it's not based entirely on the amount of money spent with them, more likely on customer lifetime and quality of reviews among some other secret factors. Personally I've spent about 3-5K over the last few years.

@Bobnova, you can try, but all literature they've put out on the program is that it's invite only. Keep us posted if you do!

I'm sure you're right I've been using newegg for about 8 years I think, I review every item I buy, and I'm honest about them. Reviews can be a great source of irritation, especially when a reviewer will give a one star/egg review because of an error the reviewer made or because the item doesn't have a feature that they think it should have. If it doesn't have the feature you want then don't buy the damn thing! I've been exceptionally lucky with Newegg as in 8 years I've never had to RMA single thing, and most of the kit is still running somewhere.

Back