• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, out of curiosity, for you folks that have gotten into this program what was your helpfulness rating when you got into the program?

Or how many reviews had you written?

It tells me I only have 9 reviews, which I know is wrong to begin with. I have like... 90 reviews by now.

The helpfulness rating is a "4", whatever that means. But, once again, they only have me down for 9 reviews, which I find insulting.

Reviews: 50
Helpfulness: 26

That's what they have me down as, I don't remember what I started with but it was probably around 30 reviews or so.

Reviews: 36
Helpfulness: 25

I should note that I was actually invited to the EggXpert program twice. I guess whoever was scouting for reviewers didn't realize I was already in the program when they sent me the second invitation.

When I was first invited they didn't have me down for having any reviews or helpfulness, although I had definitely reviewed every item I had ever bought.

How many of the items you folks review (prior to this program) did you purchase from Newegg? I'd love to be a part of this program, I generally leave reviews for products at Newegg, but I don't purchase most from there (<20 orders over the 11 years I've been with Newegg). I purchase most of my hardware from Amazon these days.

Same though I prefer newegg for shopping because I dont get charged tax unlike amazon

It tells me I only have 9 reviews, which I know is wrong to begin with. I have like... 90 reviews by now.

The helpfulness rating is a "4", whatever that means. But, once again, they only have me down for 9 reviews, which I find insulting.
Well, it's good to know my account is not the only one where they're wrong about the number of reviews written. I'm surprised they're so far off on yours though.

On mine they have me down for 26 reviews, but I know I've written at least 30 or 35 by now. For some odd reason, the review count almost never updates with new reviews, even if the reviews are approved and posted to the site on the specific product pages. Shame they don't list what parts you've reviewed somewhere, or a list of links to items you've reviewed somewhere in your account settings or Dashboard.

The strange thing is that most of the reviews of mine that are voted as helpful are for less-techy items. Things like power strips, tool kits, and low-end switches are voted as helpful. I had one a while back though for a motherboard or a power supply IIRC (can't remember what review was on now, and can't locate it) where I went really into detail on the pros and cons, and that for some reason was voted as unhelpful, whereas my review of a power strip where I literally only wrote maybe two or three sentences got two helpful votes.

Date Joined: 04/02/2011
Reviews: 26
Helpfulness: 10
First Review: 04/26/2011
Last Review: 09/04/2014

Just proves how fickle some of the users of newegg are I guess... no wonder why this program is a success, LOL!

It's not about how many reviews you submit, or the helpfulness rating. Those are arbitrary values for the most part. The way it works is that actual Newegg employees physically go through the product reviews and look for well-written reviews. When they find one, they check out some of the other reviews that the person submitted, and if they tend to write good reviews they'll get an invitation, period. So in theory you could get an invitation by only submitting a few reviews, as long as they are good reviews.

zero2dash, I have a question since you reviewed the 750i;

I have a glitch with the Corsair Link software where every time I restart my computer, all the "groups" of components are duplicated and anything I lay out on the computer diagram reads 0 degrees and 0 RPM, and the new "groups" are displaying the temperatures. Did you have any issues with the software like that?

Mine is:
Date Joined: 08/08/2001
Reviews: 54
Helpfulness: 29
First Review: 07/31/2007
Last Review: 09/08/2014

I haven't bought much lately at NewEgg over the last few years, since Micro Center opened up locally. (Compared to the years prior where I probably bought 3 regular systems' worth of parts, as well as an SR-2 and a bunch of DDR3 ram back when 6GB was $300.) Sometimes they have good deals, and TBH I always check there first, but usually (even with tax) it's cheaper at Micro Center now than it is at NewEgg (especially the CPU+board combos). You save $60+ at MC over NE, when you factor in taxes I still save roughly $35 or so.

zero2dash, I have a question since you reviewed the 750i;

I have a glitch with the Corsair Link software where every time I restart my computer, all the "groups" of components are duplicated and anything I lay out on the computer diagram reads 0 degrees and 0 RPM, and the new "groups" are displaying the temperatures. Did you have any issues with the software like that?

I didn't do much playing around with the diagram/layout, but I only had a minor issue, really....it was reporting one of my motherboard sensor temps as -50C or something like that (which was obviously wrong). It worked good on everything else though - sensors on everything else was OK.

Well I finally received an assignment today but it was a huge letdown. It's for TP-Link's Archer C2 wireless router. I declined this because I already reviewed their Archer C7 router, which is higher-end but very similar.

Every time I decline a review it takes a long time to get another assignment, so I'm not happy about this. Hope they surprise me, but the chances are not good.

Oh pity, would have liked that myself, I have an 802.11ac adapter in my laptop and I haven't been able to us the 'ac' bit yet.

Back