• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have reviewed at least four AC routers that I can think of off the top of my head. The two that stuck out to me are TP-Link's Archer C7 and Netgear's R6200. Both perform very well. I'd love to get some custom firmware on the Archer C7 as that's what I'm using at the moment, but so far I haven't found any that supports it. Hopefully DD-WRT or something similar will add support.

Just got this invite as well myself....finally get to join the precious EggXpert 'motherboard' club. :)
Should test well, was going to pick up a Z97 Pro4 initially but the price jumped up $20 over the Z97X-SLI so I chose that instead.

Man, now I guess I'll have to get a CLC to replace my 212+ Evo to finally start futzing around with OC'ing - haven't done so much yet (tried 4.5 and 4.6 and the temps were just too high, so I resorted to leaving it 4.4 and dialing in the Vcc). Not sure if I've got a hot CPU or if the 212+ Evo just can't handle Haswell's thermal output.

Getting a CLC to replace your 212 probably isn't the best option. Invest in a better air cooler or go real WC.

Source: I use a CLC :(

I got an invite to review a TP Link 8 port Gigabit switch. Who has reviewed a switch before? What do you test and look for in a switch? I have always declined them because I just don't know. If I'm not able to review it, that's fine, but I'd like to at least have an idea of what to look for.

EDIT: Just declined it. I'd still like to know, though.

Last edited:
If it's a dumb switch then pretty much its throughput, does it heat up, build quality and practicality in terms of how the box behaves when you have 8 network cables hanging off it, not very well is the answer to that last one for most switches! Managed switches are a bit more complicated and you have to go into the degree of management available how easy it is to access the management software and how easy it is to use. I've only had I think four switches and they've all been the dumb kind IIRC, and all apart from one (the one I use :) ) don't behave too well when you have 8 network cables attached, they're just too damn small and light.

Thanks balroger! I'll keep that in mind, though it will be a long time before I can test out some of these networking items.

Just submitted my Extreme4 review....very sad to see that ASRock is still cutting costs with their ridiculously thin PCB's.
When you can get Asus and Gigabyte boards for the same price with 99% of the same features and a thicker PCB - buying an ASRock is a hard sell IMHO.

ended up declining the x99 ud4 since I dont have a cpu I was considering buying one as well as ddr4 and changing up my main but since I'm in process of moving its not in the budget atm.

That sucks. I'd probably have go decline that one as well, SIN. I'm trying to pay off credit cards and save up enough for a private well installation. When it comes to review item vs clean water, I'm gonna have to choose water.

well on the plus side I did explain why I was declining and they said to contact them when my budget was better and they'd see if they still had some review stock of the board :D

Yeah, I'm using their Archer C7 AC router right now, which was previously their flagship model. I can't complain much about it as it serves me very well. I did have an issue with it freezing on me when I first got it, but disabling hardware NAT fixed that issue and it's been working great ever since.

By the way, I sent an email to the egg to ask them if declining an assignment counts against us in any way. Really, I wanted to know if declining an assignment meant we'd have to wait longer for a new one. It does seem like it takes quite a while to receive a new assignment once you decline one... Anyway, this was their response:

We cycle through our Eggxperts at the same rate as if they accepted an item or declined it. It can typically take anywhere between a month or two before an Eggxpert receives another email for an item to be reviewed. If at any time you see that an item does not match your experience or your current setup, feel free to decline it. There is no negative effect by declining it.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,
Eggxpert Review

I guess they must have changed their policy here, because in the past I used to receive multiple assignments within a few days of each other. I remember one time in particular where I had three different products on hand to review (I miss those days!).

Last edited:
Probably a lot more reviewers, I too have had products arriving on 3 consecutive days, 1 HDD, a router and powerline adapters IIRC.

I got a few invites within a week once. Then I stopped recieving them for a year. :shrug: Oh well.

Like I mentioned before, it's been pretty regularly about a month in-between items for me. I can live with that. :)

In last month or two I've gotten 3 requests to review 2011-v3 motherboards. That level system would be great to own and I would like to do it BUT I've not nor am I willing to spend ~$500+ for a CPU and memory. I've told them that but they've not caught on to my situation yet.

Back