• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I got an email on Friday inviting me to become an Eggxpert reviewer for new and pre-release items on Newegg. Has anybody else gotten anything like this?

According the Newegg's description of the program it is by invite only, and the invites are based on the helpfulness of past product reviews. I never knew mine were that helpful... but I did try to be honest, and I guess that's what they want. :D

They say they'll send "Eggxperts" free items to use and review, and as long as they review the item by the specified deadline and your reviews are informative and helpful you will stay in the program and you get to keep the items sent to be reviewed. Worst that could happen is I miss a deadline or write a review that isn't up to their expectations and get disqualified from the program.

From what I could dig up about it, this is a fairly new program which started in the later part of last year, and only certain vendors and manufacturers have agreed to take part in it (and there may be more to come!) but the only posts in other forums I could find from people in the program claim to have received a lot of routers and external hard drives... but hey, whatever they send me I'll do my best to review. :salute:

I'm excited about it, really. :clap: I'm really hoping more vendors and manufacturers will join so there will be a diversity of products to review, and not just a few routers and external drives here and there... that will get old fast.

The big bonus is of course getting to keep the items after reviewing them. Makes me think of something my grandma told me when I was about 5 years old; "Never turn down anything if it's free, even if you have to throw it in the ditch on the way home."

When I told my sister about it she said she did reviews for a makeup company for a little while once, but she had to quit because after using so many different types of mascara and eyeliners her eyelashes started to fall out... :rofl:

I've heard of it, and congrats. I doubt your eyelashes will fall out from too much mascara, but you may have to sacrifice an eyebrow to a cheap power supply for the greater good. Sorry :D

Welcome to the reviewing world.
Hint: It's far from free.

The number one thing to remember is that honesty is key. If it sucks, say it. That's how you convince people that the rest of your reviews are honest, essentially.

If you get a PSU, please don't review it without real test equipment.

They choose an eggspert on the quality of the reviews written? What if the reviewer can write well but cant tell their dirty place from a hole in the ground? (not saying that is the OP)... but a pretty funny way to do things... we all laugh at newegg reviews soo....

Anyhoo, congrats, be honest, and dont test things you cant properly test or dont know how or cant do it empirically! Its your word on the line now!

Thanks for the congrats and welcomes everyone. :)

Welcome to the reviewing world.
Hint: It's far from free.

The number one thing to remember is that honesty is key. If it sucks, say it. That's how you convince people that the rest of your reviews are honest, essentially.

I doubt that I'll get any PSU's anyway (at least not any that aren't budget-friendly). I also doubt I'll get CPU's, high-end graphics cards, or motherboards... but I could always be wrong. I don't imagine they would send out high-dollar items to "Eggxpert" customers. :-/

They choose an eggspert on the quality of the reviews written? What if the reviewer can write well but cant tell their dirty place from a hole in the ground? (not saying that is the OP)... but a pretty funny way to do things... we all laugh at newegg reviews soo....

Anyhoo, congrats, be honest, and dont test things you cant properly test or dont know how or cant do it empirically! Its your word on the line now!

It seems kinda strange to me too, but I guess it's better than choosing customers completely at random... lol

HOLY :censored:

I was just researching how to properly test a PSU with a load tester and oscilloscope... and I see why you said "Hint: It's far from free." :D

I have a whole new respect for the PSU reviews you have done for this site, Bobnova. Keep it up!

rofl, yeah, getting the equipment is a major pain in the wallet (the load, mostly) or in the tail if you're building it.
If they do offer to send PSUs maybe you and they and I and OCF can work something out, who knows.

Also, thanks :D

rofl, yeah, getting the equipment is a major pain in the wallet (the load, mostly) or in the tail if you're building it.
If they do offer to send PSUs maybe you and they and I and OCF can work something out, who knows.

Maybe... otherwise I will definitely suggest to them NOT to allow their "Eggxperts" to review PSUs as it's not really something the average Joe can do properly. :thup:

Calling all UK hardware retailers, reviewer looking fo business :rofl:

I need to get on this wagon me thinks !

Heh it's in their best interests to send the low end stuff to people without equipment. I just finished a review (not published yet, soon though I think) of the Logisys PS480X2. Hit Newegg with that part number, then start giggling :D

Heh it's in their best interests to send the low end stuff to people without equipment. I just finished a review (not published yet, soon though I think) of the Logisys PS480X2. Hit Newegg with that part number, then start giggling :D

I don't trust anything that's white, under $30, and doesn't say "Seasonic" on it...

I don't trust anything that's white, under $30, and doesn't say "Seasonic" on it...

rofl. Not a bad call. I almost enjoy the flat grey for nostolgia reasons, but it's definitely not a good sign. There're plenty of good looking junk units too of course :p

The logisys review y'all're going to have to wait till it publishes. I will say that it surprised me greatly >0 times, though.

Maybe... otherwise I will definitely suggest to them NOT to allow their "Eggxperts" to review PSUs as it's not really something the average Joe can do properly. :thup:

Yup. If they start doing that it's only a matter of time before someone gets chosen who hasn't got a clue, gets some cheap $25 supply, and says "Whelp, there's only one way to test this. Better through it in my desktop and crank everything up." Then goes after newegg when it burns down their house.

And before anyone says anything, I probably won't know what to do beyond "If it looks sketchy, it's not going in one of mine." :D

I just got a response from Newegg. In the email it said:

We want to go slow in the beginning. So we have only invited a few vendors to participate in this program while we are ramping up speed. You will be receiving assignment solicitations when we have review products from our vendor partners. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will receive any review products.

So, it is going to get bigger. :clap: Right now it looks like I can pretty safely say Seagate and Western Digital are vendors that are participating. I don't know who the routers are coming from, though.

I also love the last sentence... Yeah, you're a reviewer now, buy you might not get anything at all. Ever. :rofl:

Back