• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the verdict on Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Indeed. Sometimes you only have a split second to trigger it. DELETE is also very common.

Among everything I've ever used, I've seen F1, F2, F9, F10, F12, delete, insert, end, caps lock, and tab. Never seen any BIOS use F3 to F8, though.

EDIT: The new file copy speed graph is hideously annoying. Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce... but don't you dare hold the damn numbers still long enough for me to actually read them...

Last edited:
I've seen some use F3. Just smash the keyboard 'til it gets you to the BIOS. Or remove the boot device to force it to fail POST, this way you can check the output and, usually, find the magic key.

Download manual for motherboard and see which key is used to enter BIOS.

You may only be able to enter BIOS if you completely shut down Windows 8 on laptops by taking out the battery or creating a custom shut down link
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

because Windows 8 does not completely shut down always and you therefore cannot enter BIOS when starting it up.

Then also
BIOS > Security > Secure Boot [Disabled]

BIOS > Advanced > System Configuration > [Enter] > Boot Mode
UEFI for Windows 8
or
CSM for booting off of a boot CD or USB.

This all varies but you get the idea.
If making backups of store bought partitions, when restoring them to blank or new HD, the hard drive must be formatted as GPT.

If opting to just remove laptop bloatware, completely uninstall it. If you just disable it in its options it may still download willy-nilly whatever it wants and install updates it wants, potentially destabilizing a working laptop through non essential and unnecessary updates.

I found this out the hard way when despite everything being disabled, manufacturer software was still downloading needless updates through a very limited internet connection I had on the road. Uninstall is therefore mandatory, not just trusting their options would turn them off. Or of course a complete nuke like the original poster suggested. Laptops may come with non Pro version of Windows 8 and Win8 key can be seen using this freeware http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html which should be run before nuking the laptop.

Last edited:
Windows Blue is coming up soon, no reports on the Return of the Start Menu, may have to make a new topic: "What is the verdict on Windows Blue?"

Windows Blue is coming up soon, no reports on the Return of the Start Menu, may have to make a new topic: "What is the verdict on Windows Blue?"

I'd rather have a mod rename this thread to Windows 8 / Blue.

What's up with this sudden love of blue from Microsoft? Azure first, then Blue...

I'd rather have a mod rename this thread to Windows 8 / Blue.

What's up with this sudden love of blue from Microsoft? Azure first, then Blue...

BSOD long before that. Their love of that color has been around for at least as long as Windows has existed. Maybe IBM were the ones that got Microsoft hooked on it?

I do want to get used to Win 8. So I reinstalled Win 8 again on my home server. I seldom use the home server except for backups and uploading files to my cloud drives (uploading is terribly slow). I usually access the server through Remote Desktop Connection.

But I find when I'm connected via Remote Desktop the host lags like hell. This does not happen when I'm directly at the server using it. And this never happened when the server was on Win 7.

Waiting eagerly for Blue. Hope they don't charge for upgrading to Blue.

Waiting eagerly for Blue. Hope they don't charge for upgrading to Blue.

Microsoft announced Tuesday the updated version of its Windows 8 operating system–which had been code-named Windows Blue–will be called Windows 8.1, and it will be available for free to encourage as many people as possible to take up the new software.

Read more.....

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

Why was Vista that bad? Wasn't the problem that people ran Vista on computers designed for XP that couldn't handle Aero?

Why was Vista that bad? Wasn't the problem that people ran Vista on computers designed for XP that couldn't handle Aero?

Don't even get me started lol.

Vista had REALLY OVERBLOWN UAC. Windows 8 is actually worse in that regard as if you turn off UAC, it's still on you must use a registry hack to force it off.

UAC was horrible in Vista, much much better in Windows 7 (when its off in Windows 7 it's really OFF) and horrible AGAIN in Windows 8.

Not to mention the DRM protections that constantly get in the way in Vista, the high system requirements for the time, the claims that systems were "Windows Vista capable" when they clearly were not...

Horrible compatibility issues, worse than 8...

It's really endless, lol.

More that Microsoft certified computers as "Vista Ready" that were barely able to run XP, let alone vista.

User Access Control.
That thing that tries to stop malware and such, and asks you if you're really you and wanted to muck with the system when you try to muck with the system.

Back