• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the verdict on Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why not install Classic Shell with Windows 7 Start Menu button and disable Charms - there's Windows 7 if they don't want Windows 8... for free and in less than 30 seconds.

I don't know if he's a tech at a retail location, such as a Best Buy.. but if he is, chances are they're prohibited from installing freeware like that. It's frowned on to even recommend it, though it happens at my store (I'm in computer sales at Best Buy.)

He said "pay for it" so he may not be aware about Classic Shell.

Simply telling customers hey have the Freeware option then making a point that they would have Windows 7 + all Windows 8 extras underneath may make them change their minds about returns then.

I tried to do research on this and didn't get anywhere but it occurred to me that his story is not unique. I would imagine average users were massively returning Windows 8 machines... and somebody is loosing big money over that... and I was trying to see if that translated into any kind of pressure on Microsoft to provide the simple solution that would resolve this and that is a straight boot into Windows 7 - looking Desktop with Start menu -- Classic Shell essentially.

I am surprised we don't see stories about Windows 8 machines being returned in massive numbers over Metro because people don't know about Classic Shell Freeware.

Did you see the Windows 8 Marketing blitz? They're really pushing it.

Remember the Mojave Experiment marketing scheme? Cherry picking the good 'reviews' of the supposedly unrigged 'Windows Mojave' that was actually Vista...

I can already see it coming for 8... lol

They didnt cherry pick anything... They had people watch a movie of the new OS 'mojave' and rate it. Mojave was just vista and in a blind test, they rated it MUCH higher than with anyone who had preconceived notions of the OS.

The experiment was criticized by Gadgetzone.com[3] for cherry-picking positive statements and not addressing all aspects of Vista. The necessary hardware and software was already set up for the participants and demonstrated by a salesman, so they were unable to try out the software themselves.[clarification needed] The criticism from the blogosphere was echoed by the New York Times.[

yes, but is was a movie which means that not all the functions were shown also the it was trained microsoft people controlling it not an end user.

Right, I said it was a movie... Honestly, I dont care, LOL! Perhaps the results would change, however nobody here knows that.

Did you see the Windows 8 Marketing blitz? They're really pushing it. Cherry picking the good 'reviews' of the supposedly unriged 'Windows Mojave' that was actually Vista...

I don't understand the point -- Of Course Microsoft is in the business of making money!! Of course they are doing what they're doing with that as their goal - it's not to protect yours or my interest.

The point here is that people are going through a lot of trouble to get rid of Windows 8 when Windows 8 can quickly and easily be turned into Windows 7. Why bother, what is the down side, of simply turning Windows 8 into Windows 7 by doing this and this FOR FREE:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Attachments

• ClassicShellCustom.jpg
    ClassicShellCustom.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DisableCharms.png
    DisableCharms.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Start Button Win7.png
    Start Button Win7.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 109
The start menu and no-menu is a good start, but it's not the entire OS.
The windows look hideous for starters.

And it's already been stated that Classicshell lets you change every aspect of Windows 8. Classicshell lets you change how the windows look, lets you change how the start bar looks, the start button, everything.

It's basically putting a shell on your OS.. Think of it like a fully customizable skin.

Now, the debate's just gone in a full circle.

COD4 and PunkBuster do not work properly on Windows 8, therefore I will not install it.

End!

I don't understand the point -- Of Course Microsoft is in the business of making money!! Of course they are doing what they're doing with that as their goal - it's not to protect yours or my interest.

Sheesh, what ever happened to the customer is always right?

Last time I checked over 50% of the PC market is using Windows 7.

That should tell them they did something right, and they should keep at it

Not to try to reinvent the wheel, and cause upon themselves a Vista-esque flop.

What Microsoft did was try to merge the mobile and desktop environments with a compromised user interface.

Lessons are learned, Windows 8 will be gone in a year or so, and Windows 9(?) will be the next 7.

You have to give them some credit though for trying something a bit different, even if it wasn't a a step in the right direction.

I tried it. It boots really fast, which is cool, but the UI makes me want to strangle somebody.

When I'm using Windows, I typically have a browser open with several tabs to different API references, my IDE, and a couple PowerShell windows. Windows 8 makes this impossible. I shouldn't have to install third-party software to make using multiple applications possible.

Last edited:
I tried it. It boots really fast, which is cool, but the UI makes me want to strangle somebody.

You are not alone brother. I specifically delayed installing the Start Menu and auto-booting into Desktop at first just to experience out-of-the-box Windows 8, and investigate its default features.

I also felt that anger you feel in your stomach about having to jump through hoops to accomplish something I should be able to accomplish in a fraction of a second. I do not understand when people use the words 'used to' and 'change' to describe this. If you are doing business and it takes you many times longer to do something - there is no 'get used to change' -- it is a step back that angers you.

I am not sure what the second part of your post means, but if you describe it better, maybe you can adjust Windows 8 settings to display things like you want them because there is no difference b/w Windows 7 and [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] that I can see. Windows 8 can boot into Desktop and have the same Windows 7 Start Menu and Task Bar and everything.

OK. Let's give it a test run first and you tell me what to add.

1. Install this FREEWARE:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Like this:

ClassicShellCustom.jpg

2. Disable Charms

Like this:

DisableCharms.png

3. Change the the Start Menu Button:

Start Button TAB > Custom Button >

Start Button Win7.png

*THE END*

SHIFT+CLICK on Start Menu to see Windows 8 Metro interface again, otherwise now you have the option to never see it again.

[If you want a button other than actual Windows 7 button ↑ in Windows 8, note the Button Image has to be a single .bmp or .png image of three different buttons top, middle, and bottom button depicting normal, hot and pressed button style.]

There is a lot of information about my custom Windows 8 setup I wrote for myself in here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714656

But I can cherry pick stuff out if you just tell me what else you need.

For some of the cosmetic things you may be on your own, but functionally, I took the extra step of also installing Classic Explorer, not just Classic Start Menu.

Attachments

• Toolbar.png
    Toolbar.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
So in the end, you are wiping and reloading your OS with this new OS, but then you are installing an add-on to make it look like your older OS you just wiped out (most likely).

hmm..

Back