• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the verdict on Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't mind it any more than 7. Just make sure to install Classic Shell or another one of those skip-the-metro-screen-and-give-the-start-button-back programs and you will hardly notice a difference.

not a big deal esp if you use a start bar like lucas said. i kinda started liking the default right click hidden button though. and once i figured out the metro is really just a second desktop icons page which i dont really use its fine, then all programs is when u hit the search button. the worst part is for some of my clients, it can be a little frustrating telling when your in an app or a actual program (like how videos, pdf's, and photos default to the apps i end up changing them manually to open with regular programs).

My only experience on it was with a laptop that had a big, multi-touch, touchpad.
I (@*#&%* hated it.
The multi-touch + "gestures" activate BLOODY CONSTANTLY. You're typing along, pause, and it sets your browser text to 2pt and hits Back five times, then closes the browser and punches you in the face.

No thanks. If I want a mobile OS I'll buy a mobile device.

on the topic of the start menu software... a friend and i were talking about win8 and happend apon this and we laughed. And do you know why because you spend $120 to "upgrade" to windows 8 and then spend another $5 to get windows 7 back:mad:. I think this is hallarious :rofl:

My only experience on it was with a laptop that had a big, multi-touch, touchpad.
I (@*#&%* hated it.
The multi-touch + "gestures" activate BLOODY CONSTANTLY. You're typing along, pause, and it sets your browser text to 2pt and hits Back five times, then closes the browser and punches you in the face.

No thanks. If I want a mobile OS I'll buy a mobile device.

Thats how I felt only used it for a few min but I hated it with the touch pad

I have Windows 8 on my laptop, which is a 4 or 5 year old AMD Dual core. My destkop, the i5, also has it installed. Windows 8 Apps are disappointing and that's where my criticism is strongest. The OS is fast, like Windows 7, and I really like to have something that feels fresh. Again, the Apps are retarded, as they are full screen and really defeat the ease of multi-tasking via windowed apps.

The hate for "Metro" is so ****ing overblown. Being a troll is just very popular. We have been doing the start bar thing since Windows 95, it is so nice to see a slight change. Altho the implementation is not 100% intuitive it is not bad at all. Start + keyboard typing starts search which is really nice. I really like active tiles, on both Windows Phone and the OS.

Overall, I think Windows 7 is better but I will not go back to Windows 8 because I enjoy the fresh look of Win 8. Its just "blocky" Windows 7 with a goofy start to me. I would like to stress again that the OS is very quick, which Vista was NOT.

I deal with WIN 8 quite alot in my job (work retail computer repair) and there has been a HUGE HUGE return rate on people who bought win 8 computers and returned them because win 8 they couldn't handle that much of a change and they didnt like it, which is the exact opposite of the win 7 launch... i dont think i saw a single return because someone didn't like it or couldn't handle the change. I bet if the returns of win 8 computers were factored into the numbers overall sales figures of win 8 would be much lower than the low they are now.

personally i hate it... i hate the fact that to get anywhere its a couple more clicks etc. I hate the fact i do not have a startmenu and the only thing that looks half decent as a start menu replacement (start8) costs money. for the love of god M$ please bring the start menu back.

I will say... the UI is quick, it seems to be a lil more snappy than 7, thats not to say win 7 isnt quick. I also love the new file copy dialog and task manager... but all those three combined doesnt come close to making it anywhere near as good as 7.

So far I am really enjoying windows 8, it's just as great as windows 7 but with some new features, such as being able to mount ISOs without 3rd party software, the fact that it downloaded the latest versions of ALL my drivers the moment it finished its first boot. Downloaded and installed .NET framework for me the moment I went to run a program that required it with one click. Boots up 3x faster than windows 7 did, the new square looking windows feels refreshed (even box windows are much older than rounded). ect.

on the topic of the start menu software... a friend and i were talking about win8 and happend apon this and we laughed. And do you know why because you spend $120 to "upgrade" to windows 8 and then spend another $5 to get windows 7 back:mad:. I think this is hallarious :rofl:

Because I can, I actually use Start 8, I like it ;)

the fact that it downloaded the latest versions of ALL my drivers the moment it finished its first boot.

Windows downloading drivers from Microsoft , without asking , is an annoyance for me and not a convenience.

I really like active tiles, on both Windows Phone and the OS

Can't stand 'em.

I (@*#&%* hated it.

No thanks. If I want a mobile OS I'll buy a mobile device

This +1. I didn't like it any better on a desktop. I don't want my PC to take on the characteristics of an iPod.

Finally , Windows 7 works for me. Windows 8 offers me nothing new I want or need. I'll pass.

Just ask someone why they did and what 8 gives them that 7 didn't. Their answers will be as short and uninteresting and those in this thread already (which largely amount to it looking pretty). Certainly doesn't warrant the cost and time. The latter of which is more valuable to me. Mounting ISOs? Downloading and installing IMGBurn takes freaking 30 seconds. And very few people beyond the enthusiast/technical crowd mess with ISOs anyway.

im thinking of getting it for my htpc so i can run all my media apps without having to use my wireless keyboard/touchpad to switch between them :) make it easier to navigate with a remote. since i switch between xbmc netflix and hulu quite a bit and it will show emails and stuff without having to actually having navigate to the site and look it up i have read it works well with a remote anyways.

I'm an average consumer with little technical knowledge and need to buy a new pc. My understanding is that all PCs ship with Windows8 in retail stores (Fry's, Best Buy, etc). These comments are kinda depressing. Is it that bad for the average consumer? Also, I don't have a smart phone (I'm old school and don't even text), so will many of these Win8 features be useless for me?

not necessarily useless, but the change will be difficult.

Its obvious that you are a decent computer use as you had the wherewithal to signup here on ocf

WELCOME BTW!

and make a post about the subject, so i doubt you will have any real issue making the change. And worse comes to worse you can get some start menu replacements as stated in the above posts.

the big thing that turned me off to windows 8 (aside from the terrible metro interface) was it doing it's best to lock you out of multi-tasking.

Back