• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Good Gaming Monitors Under $200-250?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valentine

Registered
I'm going to be purchasing my very first monitor within the next two weeks. I'd appreciate your help in choosing the right one for me. My budget is somewhere around $200-250. I don't know if it matters, but I'll be mostly using it for graphic design, animation, and gaming. It should go without saying that my primary concern is image and colour quality.

I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck. Bigger is better, and a low response time (2ms?) would be AMAZING. I plan on playing games like Mass Effect 3 (almost exclusively online multiplayer), Skyrim, blah, blah, blah. I am NOT big on first-person shooters like Battlefield, COD, whatever. Having said that, I don't want any noticeable lag/trailing/ghosting/whatever. Is that too much to ask?

I've been eye-balling the ASUS VH238H but only because it was suggested on a forum I read a few days ago...is there anything better out there? I'd prefer it if I could purchase it on Newegg or NCIX coz I'm Canadian and all.

Hey, that's looking better! I didn't even realize the monitor I'd linked wasn't an IPS panel type. xD; That won't do. I've got to pay better attention, OBVIOUSLY. Anyway, I'll write that one down, but I'm going to try to see if I can find a similar monitor with a lower response time if possible.

Thanks so much!

NOTE: I'm starting to doubt that I'll find a monitor with a lower response time than 5 at my price point. Heh...

Last edited:
Hey, that's looking better! I didn't even realize the monitor I'd linked wasn't an IPS panel type. xD; That won't do. I've got to pay better attention, OBVIOUSLY. Anyway, I'll write that one down, but I'm going to try to see if I can find a similar monitor with a lower response time if possible.

Thanks so much!

NOTE: I'm starting to doubt that I'll find a monitor with a lower response time than 5 at my price point. Heh...

Not going to notice 2ms vs 5ms.

IPS panels, by design, have a higher response time than TN panels. 5ms is the absolute lowest you'll find an IPS panel, most are 7+.

That being said, I'd still take IPS over TN anyday.

It was my understanding that gamers look for tn over ips because of the lower response time and the higher contrast. I opted for an ips and I love it though!

Don't forget that TN panels can have higher refresh rates. Some hardcore games "prefer" 120hz TN panels. Of course, you need a PC setup that can output a continuous stream of 120fps to prevent stuttering or screen tearing, which is now a common issue with gaming.

Wow! That's a lot of replies. xD
Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I'm going to go that route (IPS) simply because I probably wouldn't notice any difference between 5ms and 2ms and gaming isn't the only thing I'll be using my computer for.... I'm going to want ULTIMATE TRUE COLOUR when I'm designing graphics and animating.

Is this a good monitor, then?
Asus VS239H-P
IPS, LED, 5ms (GTG), 23" (fine by me)... I think it is glossy, not matte, lol... I think.

I should probably mention that I'm not a "hardcore" PC gamer just yet... xD
I'm building my first PC ever this summer.

Last edited:
Don't forget that TN panels can have higher refresh rates. Some hardcore games "prefer" 120hz TN panels. Of course, you need a PC setup that can output a continuous stream of 120fps to prevent stuttering or screen tearing, which is now a common issue with gaming.

I am currently using an old 46" sony xbr4 tv as my screen. Response time is 6ms I think. 120hz refresh is nice yes.

I play a lot of COD4 (yes still) and I have my fps capped at 120. The results are nice!

Is this a good monitor, then?
Asus VS239H-P
IPS, LED, 5ms (GTG), 23" (fine by me)... I think it is glossy, not matte, lol... I think.

I should probably mention that I'm not a "hardcore" PC gamer just yet... xD
I'm building my first PC ever this summer.

That does look like a nice one! :)

i bought the 23" HP Pavilion 23bw from best buy for $160. just was released on the 5th of this month.
IPS LED 1080p with HDMI and no speakers. Matte finish and it's dang close to having the "infinity" edges It's wonderful and i love it.
best screen i've ever owned.

"ULTIMATE TRUE COLOR" will cost you quite a bit more that $200-$250, but if you're using it first and foremost for graphic design then go IPS...
I use the Asus monitors in my sig and have no problems with viewing angles even though they're TNs, but they were a bugger to calibrate correctly.
I do a lot of gaming and bought these for 2ms response time, but as other have stated I don't think you would notice 2 from 5...

@ TonyMc
Yeah, I understand that I won't be able to achieve "ULTIMATE TRUE COLOUR" with such a tight budget. xD I'm going IPS for sure now. I'll be using it for graphic design and animation first and gaming second. And when I say gaming, I pretty much just mean Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I'm tempted to play MMO/MMORPGs, though. :I

I've been considering the Asus VS238H-P as well! It's nice to know that someone who knows what they're talking about is using one.

@ Tokkae
Thanks! I'm glad you approve. xD

@ Neon
I'm going to run a search on that monitor right away. Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds promising.

@ TonyMc
Yeah, I understand that I won't be able to achieve "ULTIMATE TRUE COLOUR" with such a tight budget. xD I'm going IPS for sure now. I'll be using it for graphic design and animation first and gaming second. And when I say gaming, I pretty much just mean Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I'm tempted to play MMO/MMORPGs, though. :I

Add me to play some me3... anhikilator82 and stay away from MMO's if you are planning to work in the same computer :rofl:

Ha ha.... It's going to be a long time before I play ME3 on a brand new PC... months, in fact, but I'll add you when that day comes.

Last edited:
Yes there actually are top monitors for gaming under 200$. You have:
- Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
-ASUS VE248H 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Speakers

You can always check Amazon for that or Ebay. :) Hope that helps.

Last day before I order my new monitor...
Just wanted to bump this thread once last time in case anyone else had feedback on the Asus VS239H-P. Gonna use it for graphics and casual gaming (Skyrim on high/ultra, that sort of thing) not fast-paced online first person shooters...

Back