• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing IRQs in Win 2K, help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicspits

Hello,

Well I kicked out the crap that is stamped XP and put my WIN2K back on my comp so I could use my vid card. In my bios, the display controller is auto set to IRQ 10 with PCI devices being set to 11. In windows however it shows that the IRQ for things like my NIC and my vid card are both 11. I was wondering how I could fix this because it has caused a few BSODs.

On a little bit of a separate issue, I am wishing the taliban on Leadtek for making one of the most incompatible cards I have ever seen. With the latest drivers from leadtek, 3dmark2001se wont run. I have yet to try to run a 3d game yet because I fear the results.

Thanks to all that reply.

acpi

You can change the irq's by disabling acpi in your bios, and rebooting. You will have to push the power button after you shutdown, though, because without ACPI windows will stay on the "it is now safe to shutdown your computer" message.

I did it and it didn't help really... actually hurt my 3dmark score by like 800 points when I had the video card on its own irq. Also, turning the option back on later will not do anything. If you want to go back to having ACPI, you'll have to reinstall windoze.

As for your leadtek card, try using nvidia detonator drivers. Like 23.11 is a good one. Download here: www.guru3d.com

The only problem is if your card has tv-out, it may not work with non-leadtek drivers. But you can change drivers back and forth whenever you want, so try 'em out and if that doesn't get 3dmark working, then reinstall 3dmark.

If your video card is sharing an IRQ with another pci card then most lickly the pci card is in pci slot 1. The agp and the 1st pci slot on most motherboards share the same IRQ and there is nothing you can do about it.

No actually,

I have a slot fan there and it is free but I am going to try switching around everything, not just my NIC.

acpi in win2k and xp

ACPI sets up irq's for your hardware. In win2k and xp this often means that many devices will jump on a single irq. This is ok. I've had my sound, nic, usb card, and video card all on irq 11 and it doesn't cause problems. ACPI allows for up to something like 250 devices to share an irq, so maybe unless you get the "irq is not more or less equal to..." error message, I doubt that ACPI is your problem.

But disable it either in windows or in your bios and see if it helps to spread the devices out on different irq's. For some, its helped, for me it didn't.

Well my comp insists on sticking EVERYTHING on IRQ 11.

Seriously, my NIC, modem, sound, video, and both USB's are ALL on the same IRQ.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

irq 11

Same for me, all on irq11. Hasn't caused problems though. When I run win98 the irq's are all spread out. Its just a win2k/xp thing.

Mine sometimes will give a blue screen for

IRQL not handled or something like that. I think it might have to do with something else like being a tad bit underpowered on the 5v because I have not had the problem until updating drivers in windows xp. now that i'm runnin 2k it should run fine because i'm running the original drivers. Anyhoo, it happens right on boot up(10second loss) like once a week maybe so I'm not too concerned worried.

error

Mine gave me that kinda blue screen error message this morning when I was trying to test the limits of my OC. I reset cmos and set a more sane FSB and all has been ok since.

Back