• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade need and opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbird8960

Registered
So I just order the parts to upgrade my PC from a amd 9850BE and 4gig of ram to a asrock z77 extreme 4, i5 3570k and 8 gigs of kingston hyperX.

My question is that I've been looking to upgrade my evga gtx260 to get a little more performance in that area, I'm looking to spend less that $150 to do so. The one card that I have found that seems to be the best deal to me is the 4870x2, have found some for <$100 on ebay, but have read that they are power hungery and run hot, which isn't really an issue for me. So is it worth it, or should I be looking at something else that will give me a noticeable increase over the 260, but not kill my budget or should I just stick with what I have.

Side note I did end up buying a second 260 to run sli, before I really broke down into finding something better overall in a single card layout, so would the 4870x2 still be better, or is there still something out there that can do better than 260s in sli.

You got a very nice system, if I were you I'd try to wait, save some money and get a newer generation card to pair it with your latest generation parts. A 660ti or a 7870 but we are talking about 250$

OP Please do not double post the same sort of question Twice it can lead to confusion!!!!
I have already gave you my answer in the other post regards. AJ.

Sorry about that. So I have decided to wait and save some money up would the 7870 still be the best option for a 300 price point. Its prolly gonna be a few weeks before I get enough saved is there other cards I should keep an eye on for price drops or potential sales?

for $300 you can get a 7970 on sale! I wouldn't spend more than $250 in a 7870. Once you are close to the money you want to spend, don't buy right away, take a week to look at the different sales, rebates, etc. Monitor Newegg, Amazon and the thrillion deal websites, just google video card deals and you will be surprised!

I've never seen a 7970 below 360-370, and at the current moment the cheapest is 400. 300 is definitely 7950 range.

Back