• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 7600 GT - help with vmod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Well, I come here for some pointers regarding the subject...
I got some replacement caps already for what seems like cracked caps and missing ones.

Here are some shots showing the naked card:

brG3TWMh.jpg
DFMscgoh.jpg
7AtHFjwh.jpg
q0UR1ECh.jpg
TCxX4Ihh.jpg

I'm gonna try it first on air, and might go for some sandwich bag action once I get my 3770k replacement which is on its way here as we speak :attn: (Horrerblade :ty: )

I've seen those but wanted some more insights, specially on the repair side of things.
I don't wanna fire that sucker missing a cap and with the others caps with cracked tops.

I don't see any cap issues (the dented-looking polymers have the gas relief scoring put in from inside the cap instead of from outside the cap, so it looks like lines of bulge. When they fail they split open, not subtle). The missing one is an issue. I'd use a low ESR (<10mOhm) 6.3V polymer with as much capacitance as you can manage. Then II'd put another one on the back side. Originally it was probably an electrolytic.
Otherwise, those all look fine.
The line on the cap and the line on the PCB denote negative (-), with the exclusion of some Asus motherboards.

Voltmod wise this looks to be among the better guides, it'll walk you through it easily enough: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce7600gt-voltmodding.html

Yup, I guess that will do...Gonna get the pots and try soldering the missing cap back in place.
For now this 3ghz p4 631 should do for testing xD
Thanks for stopping by ;)

EDIT: btw, I got a few Ketuo and Jackson branded caps...All 6.3v 1500uf ones, which should I use?

hmmm

LOW
ESR

That's what I see on the JACKON one. The Ketuo one doesn't even say anything ESR related on it. Just max temp (105c) and that is ROHS compliant xD
If anything the Ketuo one is a bit bigger physically.

Without a known ESR spec I can't really tell you much, heh. I'd go for which ever is taller, then put a second cap on the backside.

Second cap on the same spot? I could both I guess xD
Do I solder them to the same legs and call it a day?
I'm gonna vmod anyway, and got spare caps one for every type the card has. Should I put dual caps on all spots?

Yup. Best case: Cap leaks.
Worst case: Cap dead-shorts and blows MOSFETs to hell, then explodes.

I think it must cache the search in your browser. I've run into that problem with digikey links before.

Those caps should work fine.

40/60 lead/tin rosin core, 0.022", 0.031" works, but it's a bit clunky for tiny stuff.
None of that RoHS junk.

Back