• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD7770 2gb or HD7870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebrodma

Registered
Hi guys!

I'm new here... The question is that... An HD7770 2gb or HD7870? I like Skyrim, Two Worlds, Tweo Worlds 2, and other RPG Open World games...

I have an AMD FX4100 (I read a lot of BS about this processor :blah: , but I like it...) and my case is a Thermaltake Commander MS-I :salute: ... I'm going to buy a Corsair HX850, HyperX 16gb DDR3 1600, ASUS M5A990X EVO and probably a Cooler Master Hyper 212...

I appreciate your help!!! :thup:

7870 is far, far, far, far, far, far more powerful than the 7770 is. If you're gaming at higher than 1280x1024 or so you're going to want the 7870.

PSU wise, at stock you could use a CX430 ($25 or so, generally). 175w GPU + 95w CPU + ~50w for "Other" and you're at 320w.
If you're planning on overclocking then a bigger PSU, 550w or so, is a good idea.

7870 is about as fast as a gtx580, which was the previous gen fastest single GPU.
You'll play any current game on very high@1080p...

Thanks for the info guys!!!

I don't want to OC at all, my resolution is 1440x900 on 19' AOC (maybe I'm going to buy another monitor, or maybe 2 more)... At this moment I have like $600, so I want to do it on the right way!

Definitely use part of that $600 for a nice monitor. A really good computer is pretty much worthless on a junk monitor.

I'd probably go something along the lines of a CX500, Gigabyte 970-UD3, 8GB of RAM, a 7870, and a really nice CPU cooler (Bulldozer gets HOT when OCing, and it's not that great of a CPU, you'd want to OC the snot out of it to get as much performance as possible).

So guys, tell me what is the best for my system?

No OC at all, I want the Video card, good MoBo, really good PSU in case that I upgrade something on my PC, a lot of ram (I use this PC for recording some demos (play the bass guitar))... I'm from Costa Rica, so I need to buy it on the US and them send it to Costa Rica...

Thanks guys!!!

NOTE: I forget to told you that this is a HUGE upgrade!!! I use to have an AMD Semprom LE-1250, 4gb DDR2 667, PowerColor HD3450 1gb HyperMemory DDR2 (512mb), 450w PowerUp! (LOL) and BS case...

Last edited:
In that case, you can go with a much cheaper 970 board, 16GB of RAM, and use any left over money to try to upgrade to a 7950.

The Corsair CX500 should be able to run any single GPU system.

Hi guys!

I'm new here... The question is that... An HD7770 2gb or HD7870? I like Skyrim, Two Worlds, Tweo Worlds 2, and other RPG Open World games...

I have an AMD FX4100 (I read a lot of BS about this processor :blah: , but I like it...) and my case is a Thermaltake Commander MS-I :salute: ... I'm going to buy a Corsair HX850, HyperX 16gb DDR3 1600, ASUS M5A990X EVO and probably a Cooler Master Hyper 212...

I appreciate your help!!! :thup:

7870 for sure. My 7850 is the bottleneck of my rig, even with the FX-4100. Don't worry, I like my little bulldozer too. :D

7870 for sure. My 7850 is the bottleneck of my rig, even with the FX-4100. Don't worry, I like my little bulldozer too. :D

:thup:

So Aldakoopa, you're using the same FX-4100 with an ASUS MoBo :D... It's ok for the games that I'm going to play? FX-4100, ASUS M5A990X or cheapest 970 chipset, Gigabyte HD7870, HyperX 16gb DDR3 1600, and a Corsair HX (I want this series for the 80 PLUS® Gold certification) XD, 1tb 7200 rpm (my documents) and 250gb for OS and applications/games/software..? :confused:

Why do you need Gold certification. Do you know what Gold certification means? :p

:shrug: :chair: That's why the "XD"... It's like "LOL, I don't know what it is, but sounds like good quality!"... If you can explain that to me would be GREAT! Seriously, I want to know what's the difference between Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinium certification... And another thing, you told me that I can buy a cheaper 970 chipset MoBo, so which one you recommends? (I prefer ASUS, I always use it and have no problem with this brand...)

Thanks for the joke about "Gold certification", and I'm serious, I want to learn more about it!!! :thup: And also, if you can explain me how to OC my FX-4100 and the HD7870 it would be excellent too, maybe someday I try it... XD :attn:

If you do want to overclock, then I would get the Gigabyte 970-UD3. You don't want to cheap out on a motherboard if you're overclocking. If you're not overclocking, then it doesn't really matter.

Bronze/Silver/Gold/Plat is a measure of PSU efficiency. All this really effects is your power bill. So if you're drawing 650W from the PSU and it's 80% efficient, it's drawing 650/.8=812.5W from the wall.

The catch is that, if all your doing is gaming for a few hours a day, the amount you save on your power bill is LESS than the amount more you would spend on the PSU.

It's also NOT a measure of quality. There are very good PSUs that are only bronze rated. There are very meh PSUs that are Plat rated.

If you do want to overclock, then I would get the Gigabyte 970-UD3. You don't want to cheap out on a motherboard if you're overclocking. If you're not overclocking, then it doesn't really matter.

Bronze/Silver/Gold/Plat is a measure of PSU efficiency. All this really effects is your power bill. So if you're drawing 650W from the PSU and it's 80% efficient, it's drawing 650/.8=812.5W from the wall.

The catch is that, if all your doing is gaming for a few hours a day, the amount you save on your power bill is LESS than the amount more you would spend on the PSU.

It's also NOT a measure of quality. There are very good PSUs that are only bronze rated. There are very meh PSUs that are Plat rated.

:salute: :thup:

Thanks for your help!!! Probably I'm not going to OC nothing at all, at least not now... So, with the Gigabyte HD7870 (good price and fans), ASUS M5A990X or Gigabyte 970-UD3, 16gb ram, 2 or 3 HDD, fan controller and DVD or Blu-Ray burner and a Corsair CX500, everything would be ok... Perfect!!! I prefer the modular system of the HX, but I'm going to do it on this way!

Thank you so much!!! :thup:

Last edited:
:thup:

So Aldakoopa, you're using the same FX-4100 with an ASUS MoBo :D... It's ok for the games that I'm going to play? FX-4100, ASUS M5A990X or cheapest 970 chipset, Gigabyte HD7870, HyperX 16gb DDR3 1600, and a Corsair HX (I want this series for the 80 PLUS® Gold certification) XD, 1tb 7200 rpm (my documents) and 250gb for OS and applications/games/software..? :confused:

The only game I play out of your list is Skyrim, and it does just fine in it. Like I said before, my bottleneck is the GPU, not my CPU.

As for the mobo, I agree with Knufire. Get a quality 970 board whether you plan on overclocking or not, as long as you only want a single GPU it will be fine.

When I built my comp I didn't know anything about the chipsets at the time, I was just buying within my budget, and I ended up with this mobo, but it's not the greatest for FX processors. I wish I could upgrade to a 970 or 990, but I also bought an OEM version of Windows 7 also because I didn't really know any better... :bang head

But, hey, at least it works. :)

The only game I play out of your list is Skyrim, and it does just fine in it. Like I said before, my bottleneck is the GPU, not my CPU.

As for the mobo, I agree with Knufire. Get a quality 970 board whether you plan on overclocking or not, as long as you only want a single GPU it will be fine.

When I built my comp I didn't know anything about the chipsets at the time, I was just buying within my budget, and I ended up with this mobo, but it's not the greatest for FX processors. I wish I could upgrade to a 970 or 990, but I also bought an OEM version of Windows 7 also because I didn't really know any better... :bang head

But, hey, at least it works. :)

Thank you Aldakoopa!!!

When I bought the FX I check on the box and it says "9-series chipset and HD6000 series"... :D So that's why I'm asking! If I can find a good/cheap 990 or 970, I'm going to buy it (at this moment i have an ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS 760g chipset)!!! And also, if you can show me/ help me how to OC the FX-4100 will be great! I'm not going to do it now, but maybe someday I'm going to do it (If I buy the 970 or 990 MoBo I'm going to do it with the ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS just like a testin case that I destroy it :mad:)!

I really appreciate your help!!! :thup:

Back