• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recapping a blown motherboard for Terry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Terry sent over three motherboards that had blown caps and needed fixing. These boards came with good stock caps, i.e Chemicon, Sanyo, Rubycon and Nichion. However, nothing lasts forever and the CPU VRM caps blew out. So far, I've repalced the 4V VRM caps with a bunch of OSCONs I've had (If anybody wants some free Sanyo Caps, send me a pm).

Some pictures of the work thus far. The missing cap between the replacements is a 6.3V 820uF, which I don't have on hand. Waiting for digikey to ship out the necessary caps.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20130305_200631.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20130305_200631.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 138
Nice, I've only done dual layered boards so far and some power supplies. Triple layer and higher boards are much harder to repair. I've noticed it's always the capacitors near a heat source (CPU, fets, etc) that seem to pop first.

The trick with multi-layer PCB's is to make liberal use of flux. Check the link in my sig for details. :)
Caps near high current devices are the ones prone to failure, so as you said, CPU VRM, DIMM, PCIE and 12V power input areas are the ones to watch out for. I'll be replacing pretty much all the caps on the board.

Flux helps all the things! It really does.
Very clean desoldering, looks like you have significant practice with this!
I'm surprised the polymers had issues, that's a pretty solid bank of 'em. I suppose two phase CPU power isn't helping, especially if that's a prescott in there.

The polymers are the ones I put in. ;) I forgot to take pics of the blown Chemicon's and the Nichion. As for practice, yes I've had loads of practice with soldering/desoldering electronics, part of the game when you are an experimental physicist (electronics plays an integral role in our work). :)

Super interesting. Please post more pictures as the work progresses!

The polymers are the ones I put in. ;) I forgot to take pics of the blown Chemicon's and the Nichion. As for practice, yes I've had loads of practice with soldering/desoldering electronics, part of the game when you are an experimental physicist (electronics plays an integral role in our work). :)

Nade,

You shall forever be known to me as "Sheldon Cooper.....physicist!".

Back