• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CPU + Graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blaq.ize

Registered
I have been getting parts for my pc. I believe if I did it right my settings should have my PC specs listed. I want to overclock my cpu from 3.5Ghz to 4.0Ghz and also would like to OC my graphics card. What is needed for this to happen and how can I do this.

As I am a big time gamers the only game I really play is world of warcraft and that's not to graphical. I have played metro 2033, and Crysis 3 but had problems with Crysis 3 as it is high demand on graphics, How ever that was on my 3 core CPU now I got the 8 Core which im sure could easily play it. So I would like to play the games like this as smooth as I can get them.

So I read something on it that says .... Even on air/water you will be looking at 4.8 GHz-5.2 GHz per CPU
Is that even possible for me? or is 4.0 tops on it.

I wouldn't feel save overclocking on that board though. It doesn't really have the VRMs (stuff that deliver power to the CPU) to handle overclocking an 8350 very far.

The PSU brand is also a bit scary. You really don't want to cheap out on the PSU, it has the potential to kill your entire rig if it dies.

Aw man, I was told that the Kentek was a good psu. I was at least wanting to overclock a tad bit maybe. As close to 4.0 as I can. Would U recommend getting a new PSU before I overclock?

New motherboard and PSU, honestly.

PSU wise, you should be fine with something like a Corsair CX500.

The cheapest board I've seen that can overclock fairly well is the Gigabyte 970A-UD3. I'm not sure if it's too late to exchange your board or not.

Yea I've had this board for a while, maybe about 3 months already. I got it cause it said that it supported my CPU and that it could be overclocked. Kind of sucks. Well I was planning on making a second computer next month. Maybe I can just put a new mobo in this tower with a new PSU and assuming I should be good to go with the Overclocking. What a bummer to hear.

I was thinking of getting something like the Corsair TX850, you think that's good or should I go lower on the Watts to save a few bucks.

Really depends on what GPUs you put in there. The CPU might be around 180W when overclocked, and the rest of the system is about 40W. So 220W there...but the GPUs are the real power hungry part of a computer.

BTW throw me a diff mother board or a few different ones that I could overclock on. Im willing to spend around 150 on a good one. Also should I get a different Heat sink while I'm at it?

If you're willing to spend money, sure. Those CPUs get real hot when OCing, you need the best cooling you can get. Dunno what case you have, but I'd look at some of the all in one watercoolers like the Corsair H80i/H100i/H90/H110, NZXT Kraken line, Swiftech H220.

Are you planning on running multiple video cards ever? That can affect your motherboard and PSU choice.

blaq.ize I am in agreement with Knufire, when I cannot find reviews on a PSU it sets off alarms for me. As Knufire stated if something goes wrong with that PSU it could take the whole system with it or worse. As far as your motherboard goes you can try to overclock on it, but we have seen many people come here with midrange to budget boards that try and overclock their FX processors and have nothing but issues. The biggest issue with your board besides the lack of power phases, is that that area which provides the power to the cpu gets hot under normal conditions. When overclocked the area gets a lot hotter, your board doesn't even have a heatsink on this area. I'm including a picture for reference, note the area I outlined, this is the VRM section which provides power. I'm also including a picture of a board that we recommend, notice the difference of the two highlighted areas.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    176.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 1a.PNG
    1a.PNG
    233 KB · Views: 210
Yes I am willing to spend some money for some good parts. I would like to have the best, and if I cant have the best I want something damn good specially when it comes to computer parts. So my Tower that I have is a Raidmax. Not sure what one but I will link some pictures so that you can see the amount of space....Its actually pretty cluttered which I assume isn't good. Im actually leaning towards the Thermaltake Level 10 GT as I have always wanted it for the space and the wire tucks and different compartments for stuff. Also there is my PSU if u wanna look

IMG_20130306_192924.jpg

IMG_20130306_192933.jpg

IMG_20130306_192940.jpg

@trents Those look like two very nice motherboards. I will deff look at those a bit more tonight. Any more info on what I can get to make my rig better for overclocking and successful please do let me know. Thanks :)

blaq.ize, fist an formost clean up those wires, would ya. :)
Motherboard Recommendations:
For really pushing the overclocks
Asus Crosshair V Formula/Z
Asus Sabertooth R.2 990fx
Gigabyte UD 3,5,7 990fx
Asrock Fatla1ty 990fx
For mild overclocks:
Asus M5A990FX Pro 2.0
Asus M5A99X
Personally I'd go with a Asrock fatlady one of our fellow members has done some extensive testing on it, see thread below, and is very pleased by its performance, if you can find one or the Gigabyte UD5 that Trents posted.
PSU this one is a really good unit for the price and will give you some headroom, you may be able to get by with a 500w unit also.

Now reality, if you are planning on anything more then a mild overclock you are going to need big cooling. Most of us that are really pushing the overclocks on these chips are running full water setups. Not that the CM hyper evo is a bad heatsink, I'd actually like to see how it fares on that chip. Though you may need to consider getting a better cooler down the road. You may also want to have a read of this thread it's really informative on these processors.

@Trents Those look like two very nice motherboards. I will deff look at those a bit more tonight. Any more info on what I can get to make my rig better for overclocking and successful please do let me know. Thanks :)

Yes, as Drake said, give some concentrated attention to cable management. The air flow in your case is greatly disrupted by that rat's nest of wires. Check out my pics over on the AMD Motherboard section for some visual ideas concerning cable management. They are in a thread entitled something like, "Got My M5A99X Evo Up and Running".

Okay sounds good guys, I will first clean up the wires in my computer, I know its a mess I got frustrated with a problem I was having a week ago with my computer crashing as I just got windows 8 64-bit, I kept crashing so I called it in to Microsoft, also the computer won't start after being fully shut down so gotta keep it in sleep mode, kind of bugs but think its a hard drive issue. But yes I'll clean my wires up then start getting some new parts and when they arrive I will let you guys know so we can take the next step.

Gigabyte UD 3,5,7 990fx
Asrock Fatla1ty 990fx

The problem with ranking those boards like that is what "ssjwizard" wrote a day or two ago and one of the best descriptions I have seen. The Gigabyte 970 UD3, 990X UD3 and the 990FX UD3 all have the same power circuit. He discribed the problem like this with those three boards with the same VRM / LLC circuit in that they over and under shoot the cpu Vcore and cause instability. Not that they cannot put out the current to the cpu but that the boards don't regulate the cpu voltage well and at high loads they tend to be unstable or the over and under cpu voltage can make for instability.

Now the UD5 and UD7 have different cpu voltage circuits than the one on those three UD3 motherboards.

I have not owned a gigabyte UD3 and do not plan to do so as I know it. But I know how 'ssjwizard' writes and I know how these three board operate very well.
Asrock Fatla1ty 990fx

If a user/customer whatever wants to clock the pee out of an FX 8core or 6core AMD cpu then either of those three boards will do it with AWESOME cooling and a clean power supply. I mean run the 8 core at 5.0Ghz with pretty good results. Even 2 hours P95 Blend stable.

I am gradually beginning to hear good things about the 990FX UD5 board. Not enough of them seen to form a good opinion though.

My problem comes when a user comes in here and he has a very weak Asrock 970 Ext 3 or Ext 4 and we let him buy another board just barely better than the one he already has. "Mandrake" both you and "Johan45" have upgraded into that very upper tier of boards and there was a reason. You could not stand just running 4.4/4.5Ghz. Oh yes you had to have better than just average cooling, but I had rather have cooling be the hold-up than the hold-up be the second motherboard I purchased.
RGone...

Back