• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CPU + Graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP states he only wants to OC his 8320 to 4.0 ghz. He should be able to do that with less than a CH V or a Fatality or a Sabertooth.

IF that is for real and all he wants to do then he should be able to do that little bit with his current motherboard and not have to rush to buy any other motherboard.

OP said:
So I read something on it that says .... Even on air/water you will be looking at 4.8 GHz-5.2 GHz per CPU
Is that even possible for me? or is 4.0 tops on it.
I mean there is that hype and that thrill of anticipation of huge overclocks that suddenly appeared in his eyes and heart. But yet he 'only' wants 4.0Ghz.

I mean is it that this cannot even hold 4.0Ghz? >> ASRock 970 Pro 3 Mobo / AMD FX Eight-Core Processor FX-8320 3.5GHz AM3+ CPU / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Heatsink. There are many people running an FX-8350 at 4.0Ghz with stock voltage and it should since default for the FX-8350 is 4.0Ghz, but it is next to nothing to get 400Mhz out of an FX-8320 to get to 4.0Ghz.

I mean we all know the cheap boards and even the mid-range motherboards will not hold-up to a real overclock of FX 8core and we are perhaps jumping too quickly to condemn every board that we know really is not a clocker. Will his 970 EXT3 hold up to 4.5Ghz? I doubt it. Should it most likely hold up to only 4.0Ghz? I would have to believe it could do that since months ago the users coming in wanted to move from 4.2Ghz on 970 Ext 3 and 4 to 4.5Ghz and they could not but they were okay at around 4.0 to 4.2ghz. Or my memory is defunct.
RGone...

Last edited:
@RGone
Are you saying that those boards will do well with Overclocking or are you saying to get a different board. Also I want to know if you are saying that if I get a good enough board I can push it to to 5.0Ghz if I have the right PSU and damn good cooling. If so are you talking about straight fans or water cooling.

blaq.ize, I believe what Rgone is saying is that you may be able to obtain 4.0 on the board you have. You may also be able to do it with that psu, though there are risks. The motherboards vrm section may go snap crackle pop. I have personal experience with this situation on another manufacturers motherboard, it's not a good feeling when you hear a pop and then see smoke coming from your pc. The PSU we have pointed out the risks. This is not to say that it will definitely happen, but it could. If you are willing to risk it, then just try overclocking on that pc, clean the wires up first do you have some good airflow to the cpu heatsink.

If you are unhappy with your results and or have issues we can address them at that time. If 5.0 is your goal and your chip is up to it, not all are the same, then yes damn good cooling is going to be needed. Along with a possible psu/mobo upgrade. If you search through this section and look at peoples builds and what their setups are like. To see how far they have been able to OC and what cooling they are using. I've had mine as high as 5.4 not stable and 5.1 stable. Take into account my cooling setup in my signature.

Well now that you put it that way Drake, it kind of scared me to even attempt this with my psu and mobo. Here's what I can say, I am willing to spend a good $800-$1000 on parts that will push my rig to its limits. All you got to do is tell me what to get as psu, mobo, case, cooling and I will take a look at them. But I'm guessing I don't even need to spend that much to push it to its limit, I could be wrong though.

I play a lot of games So its mainly a gaming rig latest game I played was Tomb Raider and had problems. I would like to run SLI but heard that I don't even need 2 cards to run a game good so not to sure on that.

No you don't have to spend that much on parts. If upper limits/moonshots are what you really want, then I would recommend this board. Rgone has done testing on it and it has fared well. No need to spend more on a Asus Crosshair V or a Sabertooth unless you cannot find one and or newegg doesn't get it back in stock. The PSU I posted a few posts back is fine for your needs unless you are planning on moving up to 2 gpu's. Now when it comes to cooling, I have no experience with all in one watercooling. You will need to do some research on your own for that. If a full custom watercooling system is what you want then, start reading the sticky's in the watercooling section, learn then and know then before you even start trying to build. Depending on how you are going to do it, you're looking at $200-400 for that. I built my who setup for less then $200 being patient and buying parts on Ebay and the Classifieds. The key is to have patience and do it correctly the first time.

For water cooling, how often is it that I gotta but the cooling supplies to keep it cool, or how does that even work? Idk if it evaporates or what.

Back