• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moment of despair.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i am seriously in a bad mood right now. for some odd reason, when i restarted windows, i keep getting disk read error has occured.

i tried runnign startup repair, disabling intel SRT, re-connecting the drive, doing cold boots, etc etc.

right now, im gonna try to see if i can view the contents of the drive in ubuntu.

i really need to get a new drive. this is the last known working drive i have and i would have to it fail on me. it was used when i got it btw.

Ugh, I know that feeling :(
No fun at all.
I wish you the best of luck!

i am able to access the hard drive and its files from ubuntu. but i dont have a spare hard drive to copy them to.

i did try making a bootable usb stick loaded with chkdsk and that ran fine but still didnt solve the issue.

i also used an mbr fix utility but that still shows the same error.

right now im using seagates seatools to see if this could find any hardware fault with the hard drive.

any suggestions?

I highly recommend buying another hard drive. Not the cheapest way, not the easiest way, but my trust of that drive is shot.

i really need to get a new drive. this is the last known working drive i have and i would have to it fail on me. it was used when i got it btw.
Go and get a new drive. Format and partition it including one partition for moving your old stuff off the old drive.

Hook it up as a secondary drive, copy your files over to that dedicated partition.
Then hook it up as main drive, install OS on the other partition.

i ran a short test and long test and seatools reported that the drive passed.

i cant BUY another hard drive. so i will have to rip the one thats in the living room computer out and replaced it with two IDE drives in RAID 0. hope that works out for the family.

ill be stuck with 160gb at this point. hopefully my black drive (500gb with 300mb used) covers it....all except my games. which are huge.

the pic is a bit small to make much out :\

the pic is a bit small to make much out :\

i am able to read it just fine. what are you talking about?

plus, its the only camera that can take pictures that the forum allows me to upload.

EDIT: ill try to see if i can get a txt file copy instead....

heres another one since the picture is too tiny to read.

ST3250820AS 6QF0B53A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID Name Value Worst Tresh Raw Health
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Raw read error rate 105 97 6 9831327 •••••
3 Spin-up time 95 95 0 0 ••••
4 Number of spin-up times 97 97 20 3429 ••••
5 Reallocated sector count 100 100 36 7 •••••
7 Seek error rate 81 60 30 144358265 ••••
9 Power-on time 94 94 0 5573 ••••
10 Spin-up retries 100 100 97 0 •••••
12 Start/stop count 99 99 20 2004 ••••
187 Reported UNC error 100 100 0 0 •••••
189 High Fly writes 100 100 0 0 •••••
190 Airflow temperature 62 48 45 38°C/100°F ••••
194 HDA Temperature 38 52 0 38°C/100°F ••••
194 Minimum temperature 90 52 0 15°C/59°F -
195 Hardware ECC recovered 68 60 0 0 •••
197 Current pending sectors 100 100 0 0 •••••
198 Offline scan UNC sectors 100 100 0 0 •••••
199 Ultra DMA CRC errors 200 200 0 0 •••••
200 Write error rate 100 253 0 0 •••••
202 DAM errors count 100 253 0 0 •••••

i have also included the txt file copy in case you still cant make any sense of this.

Attachments

• smart.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 35
looks like this is an Intel SRT issue....

i set the sata ports from "raid" to "achi" and it boots now...anyway to get it to boot well again with the raid option set?

Try also what info Crystaldiskinfo can get out of it. If it says fail or warning on some item(s), the disk is defect.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

its showing a caution on both my samsung drive and seagate drive.

says something about reallocated sectors count. 7 for the seagate and 1 for the samsung.

but i cant and dont want to use the samsung because it was being very slow to the point wher ei thought failure was going to happen. so i replaced it with a seagate.

anyway

i still cannot boot into windows with the sata mode in bios set to raid. i have to set it to AHCI just to get in.

i tried reinstalling intel RST...but that didnt help.

Back