• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp increase during virus scan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ExecuteOrder66

Registered
I just installed Kaspersky PC protection and did a full scan on my system. My CPU temp was up at 65 degrees centigrade and would hover between 58 and 66. Has anyone heard of this before? It doesn't seem normal.

Virus scanning requires alot of CPU time. The program is analyzing almost every file on the drive for malicious code signatures. Not knowing what CPU you have 65C is either on the edge of to hot, or well within the normal operational range.

65C is right on the limits of what you want to put an AMD CPU through. I have run my 8320 up to 70C running Folding @ Home for weeks on end without a problem. That said you probably want to invest into a better cooler.

It's not my cooling system. I run nice and chilly at 35 idle, and decent temps while multitasking/gaming. Its only when I run my virus scan that my core cpu usage goes up to like 80% and starts heating up. Wierd as hell.

I would say 35 isn't nice and chilly unless you mean 35 f.

My 8120 runs around 27-28 idle and still bumps 66c under full load.

Which CPU cooler do you use?

If you're hitting 65 at an 80% load you really DO need to do something about your cooling :mad:

Back