• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't get the FX series if you're not planning to OC...that's one of their major benefits and where they really shine. The other benefit is upgradeability, which the OP has chosen not to go with, more the make it and leave it route.

On the Intel side, no need to pay for a K CPU and a Z77 board if you're not going to overclock, which is significant money savings.

Most of the UK people I've talked to have said Scan.co.uk is the best place to buy from over there.

So if I go for a 3770 the only difference is it's not unlocked?
What MB would you recommend for a non K?

This is the way I would go. Small, extremely power efficient, very quiet, very out of the way.

I went with NVIDIA over AMD for the graphics card as most photo, video, and CAD programs use CUDA acceleration (NVIDIA only) over OpenCL or OpenGL (supports both). Even programs that support both...CUDA still usually works better.

Capture.PNG

Could you recommend a MB on dabs.com? It's showing a lot of items cheaper and the mb you recommended isn't on dabs

So how does this look?

CPU: Intel i7 3770 - £232.99
GPU: Asus ATi Radeon 7950 3GB 900Mhz - £259.99
PSU: Corsair 500W Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze ATX - £44.25
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Lite - USB 2.0, ATX Case - £67.69
SSD: Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" - £88.58
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL10 Vengeance - £77.98
MB: Gigabyte B75M-D3H S1155 Intel B75 DDR3 mATX - £53.54

Delivery (7.7kg) £0.99
Total (inc VAT) £826.01

I just redid the build on Dabs (as close as I could, they carry different stuff)...ended up being about 20 pounds more than Scan.

No reason to get a full ATX case for a mATX motherboard. Dabs has the Fractal Design Arc Mini, which is a very good mATX case.

I still don't get why not the FX 8320 but it could make it.

Not a big fan of Kingston SSDs (RAM is good), I would go with a Samsung non Pro like Knufire linked you (250GB) or an Intel/ Samsung Pro 120GB :)

I just redid the build on Dabs (as close as I could, they carry different stuff)...ended up being about 20 pounds more than Scan.

No reason to get a full ATX case for a mATX motherboard. Dabs has the Fractal Design Arc Mini, which is a very good mATX case.

I think i'll stick with the larger case, just because I can fit more fans in :')

If you want a lot fans, the SG-09 is a mATX case that would fit you, although not as much eyecandy as the Design mini.
But again, no need to focus on cooling that much if you don't want to overclock.

Here, this is what I would go with. Bigger SSD, better RAM, better case. CX430 is still enough...200W GPU, 77W CPU, 40W for everything else, so like 310W total draw. CX430 has 356W on the 12V rail, so you're good.

Capture.PNG

Here, this is what I would go with. Bigger SSD, better RAM, better case. CX430 is still enough...200W GPU, 77W CPU, 40W for everything else, so like 310W total draw. CX430 has 356W on the 12V rail, so you're good.

View attachment 124446

Looks pretty awesome, I do have a 1TB sitting around for storage so I don't need to worry too much on the size of the SSD

More SSD space is always nice. Remember that whatever you put on the SSD is super fast. If you can afford a drive that's large enough to fit your OS and all your games and programs, that's ideal.

Back