• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Extreme6/Asrock Extreme6 TB4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

What's the difference between the Asrock Extreme6 and the Extreme6 TB4? (besides the 60$ difference?)
And can anyone who owns either of these boards recommend them? I'm going with one of the other and i want to know should i spend the extra 60 bucks?

I believe the TB4 has Thunderbolt ports, which are useless in my opinion. The reason being is that Thunderbolt devices are insanely expensive when compared to USB3.0 devices.

Ouch :-/

After a more detailed look...

• The TB4 replaced the DisplayPort and DVI ports for integrated graphics that are on the plain 6 with Thunderbolt ports.
  • The TB4 has 2 PCIex16, 2 PCI, and 2 PCIex1. The 6 has 3 PCIex16, 2 PCI, and 1 PCIex1. I'm guessing the Thunderbolt ports take up PCIe lanes for their speed and that's why there aren't as many PCIe lanes available on the TB4, but I'm not sure.
  • The 6 has a Floppy drive connector.
Everything else looks the same. So, if you need the extra PCIe lanes or DP/DVI connections, then the extra $55 could be worth it.

You can still use VGA or HDMI for integrated graphics on the TB4. You may need to use an adapter like HDMI-to-DVI or VGA-to-DVI to connect to your monitor.

Wasn't a monitor i was going to connect, a 32" HDTV, for social networking, and monitoring temps would Hd4000 run that?

edit: like off the HDMI output on the board?

Back