• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Cooler is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StilgarRS

Registered
Hi, my 1.6 northwood is now running at 2.4 GHZ (150*16), and with burncpu the temperature is about 57° C, using the Intel retail cooler. I'm wanting to get higher, so i'm searching for a good cooler. Is the Thermaltake Volcano 478 good, and quite? Or are there better ones?

the best price/performance would be the Thermaltak Volcano 7+ not the Volcano which wontbe much better than Intel's cooler....the best overall performance though comes from the Swiftech MCX478

i would get the swifty, like funny said, it is the best, but it is expensive. if you are going to buy one of those, you may as well go with watercooling. with that, you should be able to run that at 2800, someone here on this forum is running that right now. but that will be depending one your mobo and your ram. that 57' is that at idle or load? that temp is way to high, you need to get it down. with that temp, you will kill your cpu quicker, than running at a cooler temp. heck of a overclock, but temp is to high.

This should probably be in the cooling section of the forums...

Yep, temps are too high, I'd also third the motion of the Swifty. Some recommend the AVC Sunflower but personally, everything I've seen puts it about equal to the Intel cooler. There aren't a ton of good Socket 478 coolers out there yet... in a year or two there will be plenty of them (but obviously you can't wait that long!). But I digress, either the Volcano 7+ or Swifty.

I think it should stay in Intel, as not many Intel users with the Northwood visit the Cooling section, or not alot.

Yes the Volcano 7+ would be my pick. Its much cheaper than the MCX478, and it could be preforming better than the MCX478 with a better fan then the 71dBA, 49CFM.

Yodums

The 57° i reach only with burncpu, running 3dmark2001 i get it "only" to 53°. The problem is, that here in germany i found no reseller, who has the volcano 7+, and the swiftech is to expensive.

StilgarRS said:
The 57° i reach only with burncpu, running 3dmark2001 i get it "only" to 53°. The problem is, that here in germany i found no reseller, who has the volcano 7+, and the swiftech is to expensive.

A possible solution to this is.. hmm. Do you have any relatives living in the US? If so they can order it for you, maybe they'll do it as a gift, but you could always pay em back.

no, thanks, i have decided to buy the Volcano 7+, but WHERE TO BUY IT IN GERMANY. Is it so new, that no reseller has it here.

StilgarRS said:
no, thanks, i have decided to buy the Volcano 7+, but WHERE TO BUY IT IN GERMANY. Is it so new, that no reseller has it here.

yes it is a BRAND NEW cooler

StilgarRS said:

Do UK companies ship to Germany? Perhaps you can speak to one of them and ask them if its possible and you'll pay the extra shipping.

thanks, but i got a reply from thermaltake, and the Volcano 7+ should be available in germany in 7-10 days. :p

Back