• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-Ref 9800GTX+ Vmod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll check the card tomorrow just don't have the time ATM.
Doesn't that 12.8 Ω reading seem low? I've never messed with this but for a 1K vr you'd want to see 100 Ω on the pad correct? I checked it 6 times because I thought that would just be too low. The other pin is just the other direction on the knob isn't it. I was using it to see roughly how much I had moved. If it was reading 150 Ω then I knew the other side was around 50 Ω or am I just high.
So tomorrow if I disconnect the ground and everything is normal where do you think I might have went wrong. Or is there just too much resistance in the VR to let the volts flow until I get close to 12.8 Ω and have to be really careful how much I turn it at that point

my guess it should read around 50 Ohms most people who post mods do 20x the Ohm reading

Edit: sorry need to slow down when I read the other pin would max out the volts because it would be turn down as much as it can

Last edited:
I did about 15x if the 12.8 is right. Maybe it's not the right pad? Seems funny though that it's the right one for the other cards. Maybe this die just needs less. It is low voltage at stock 1.155

Tomorrow when you get a chance test that capacitor I mark in green and see what that reads from the pic's pin 19 trace goes there first

1.155 seems like boot up voltage to me could be wrong- would be a lot easier if I had the card, just see what happens when you remove the ground from the VR then we can take it from there

OK I checked that readin and it was 12.5 I also pulled the ground and no change so I removed the wire from the pad and still the same. Says 0 core and 0 mem speed in windows. Kind of looked like maybe that one you marked green was shorted to the pad. I think I removed the connection but the card still says the same. I'm wondering now if I maybe messed up the BIOS.

Nope that was driver problem.
It's official, I'm a tard. Turns out I was using the wrong setting on my DMM the whole time. Now I've destroyed that pad, It's just gone. Came off when I was tring to clean that area. Could I just solder to the cap next to it in green. It had the same reading?

Last edited:
Unless I can find another solder point I'm done. I checked the right side of that cap and it doesn't read 12.x but the left sie of it does. I'm at a loss now

yes you can first double check for conductivity between pin 19 and that cap. there should be a setting on your DMM where the Ohms setting are with a pic of a bell or something like that- buzzes when there is conductivity between two points if so solder away

Should of ask this first did you try the card after you lost that pad to make sure you didn't tear the trace the pad was connected to

EDit2 sorry thought when I first read when you said 0 on core and mem thought you meant volts -sorry my bad

Last edited:
Yeah the card still works. Just have to find another point if I want to continue. I think I got the pad hot enough that it just let go when I was tring to re-solder the wire to it. I'll have to check out this conductivity thinga majig tomorrow. I'm going to play DOOM drunk ha ha. Holidays are almost over.
EDIY: Thyanks for the help Mike I appreciate it.

BigGringoodmorning.gif

I finally got it. What a week of effin around but it finally paid off. Got the core from 828 to 864 says it's 1.3v . I found that any more and it wasn't stable. Guess it needs lower temps even though it was sitting around 55c under load.

image_id_1678633.jpeg

OK got the Vmem working as well wasn't sure how high I could go for volts though. I went to 2.23v and got 60Mhz more. For my card I used a 20 Ω VR for GPU and a 10k Ω for the mem.

9800 3d01 111606.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. I needed it. Now that I've spent most of a week playing with this I think I could do another in 4 hrs or ess ha ha. Now I have to revisit the 3D03/netburst for the TC.

You'll have an easier time of it if you tear up 80pin PATA cables rather than 40pin, but that looks pretty good!

Thanks Ed, don't be a stranger, I'm sure there'll be more of these in my future. Recently got an XFX285 that might go under the knife soon too.

Johan, your voltages are going to be very skewed!!!

You need a hotter soldering iron so that you can connect those wires that much better! Those GND wires are going to fall off if I breath on it.

O'RLY? Dolk tell him how to test his card to see if he's getting the max out of the card first Instead of his soldering job ain't no good

You cannot obtain optimal voltage with a bad soldering job. Its physics. The solution is to either heat the board up so the copper planes distribute the heat of your soldering iron less, or get a hotter soldering iron so you can heat the area quicker.

Thanks Dolk but I don't think a cold solder joint to ground ever mess with my volt mods either you got a ground or don't until you blow on it and it falls off :D but who knows maybe I could be getting more out my cards will keep that in mind

Back