• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you make a CPU retention bracket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SupaMonkey

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have sourced some high thermal coefficient graphite (2.5x the thermal coeff of copper) that isn't stupidly expensive (like the panasonic one) and i have found somewhere that sells 40mm wide flat heatpipes (my C2D is 37.5mm wide according to the spec sheet), so i feel like making my own cpu cooler. The problem that i have is that i know nothing about mounting this to the board. What do the subzero guys do; do you just rest a pot on the cpu and fill it up or do you make a clamp and get some mounting pressure? How do i go about making a clamp for this? I'm also wondering if it would be easier just to buy a cheap cpu cooler and Frankenstein the clamp from it.

I have found 775 board cpu cooler mounting holes are the same as 80mm fan holes. I pulled a metal plate out of an OLD gateway, that covers the 80mm fan hole (it has 4 threaded hols of it's own) and found it lines up to 775 mounting holes (i kept it for that reason).

I often keep parts like that and left over mounting/bracket bits from CPU coolers I install. I use what ever bits i need to make something work and if all else fails i make my parts. i once traced plastic pad from a bracket i lost and made my own by cutting it out with a reciprocating saw from a piece of scrap metal.

Back