• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.1 ghz and high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ultraspeed

Registered
Ok guys little run down built my first pc has 3770k and a CM 212 evo heat sink.Also for heads up this is in a CM stryker case anyways im getting temps of 80C at 4.1 GHZ and that a little more then i wanted or was expecting. So i was going to ask is the fan that comes STD with the 212 evo very good? Or should i just pick up a closed loop water system? Id like to get to 4.5GHZ and stay cool like in the 70c range. I can pick up a H60 and H90 for good price local what would you suggest? would upgrading case fans do anything for me?

Two things, first what are the temps in the room, second that seems a tad high are you sure you installed the heatsink correctly , because i have a 3570k that doesn't even go that high at full load.

You should redo the thermal paste application, use a pea size drop in the middle and don't spread it, let the cooler spread it when putting it into place.
You'll need an aftermarket cooler anyway if you intend to oc further, so look into that.
The 212 evo is fine, and cheap, but noisy.

Did you use the mobo software to overclock or the BIOS? Mobo software pushes too many volts for such a minor overclock. Use only the bios for overclocking.

And it's possible your EVO was installed wrong. Check Tpaste on the CPU and how you mounted it.

i changed it in the bios i didnt half to ad voltage to get to 4.1 but seems after 4.1 its unstable on stock voltage. But i did re do the heat sink but even after doing this im getting 78c no not 80 but still high? i just find it a little odd its up that high im thinking about ordering a better fan for the heat sink suggestions? or should i just say screw it water cool with a h60 or h90? or even just add more or better case fan for better circulation?

Your HS should be fine.

Please post pics of the TIM application and thoughts. We need to dig deeper.

An H60 is worse cooling than your current cooler. An H80 is about the same. You learn that by reading or experience.

We know nothing about your case, your case fans, your ambient room temps etc. So it's time to read Lots of posts and see what others post about issues like this and feed us information. We aren't mind readers. This could be tough, but with your input we can figure it out.

And you might have enough posts to make a sig. You need 5 posts. See my sig? You can make one too.

SIG right below this line.

updated sig check the setup out. room stays 22C and the fans in the case are the stock stryker case fans! I did flip the front fans to pull from the front of the case and not the sides. but what kind of cooling is needed for 4.5 GHZ 24/7 with out issues and low temps? at Idle my temps are room temp 21 to 23C. Im going to try do a little more research and see about case fans and maybe putting 2 fans on the heat sink in PSH/PUL. I got this feeling the i just need more fan power on the heat sink.

Possible. One good fav to remove any doubt about the case fans is to take the side off, put a house fan that can blow fresh air into the case and test again. Err you even tested temps at stock first? have you checked Tpates application or you installed it right first? Your probably jumping the gun here. Fundamentals first buddy.

Have we talked about your temp monitor software yet and your stress load proggy?

Do us both a favor. Drop clocks to stock. Get HW Monitor and P95. and read in the posts how we use them.

thanks for info im already using P95 and i was using core temps which most people on here dont like so i will try H/W and see what get and use the fan idea...

Just as a quick overclocking settings check, use the as rock profiles and check the temps again. I used the profiles to hit 4.4 and temps don't go over 65 after 1 Hour with prime. What's your motherboard temps? Mine stays around 35. Room temp 75 f. Give us also the idle temps with no one. That may give us an idea of the starting point. Maybe the air flow is not too good.

At idle the temps r at room temp or slightly below room temp 21-22c. I'm going to download H/W and see what's up.

It could be a hot running chip, but my money is on the cpu cooler not being up to the job, your TIM application, case cooling, or a combination of the three. A good aftermarket fan or two on the cooler should help after you remount it :thup:

I did flip the front fans to pull from the front of the case and not the sides

Might be just me here, but are you saying you turned the front fans around to make them exhaust air out the front of the case? If so that could explain a few things.

Put the CPU back to stock and report back a screenshot of Realtemp and CPU Z under stress loads.

We need to get back to basics. No idea what it was at stock clocks and a temp issue can be solved with basics easier.

Pics of your case setup would be nice too.

Well I ran into a strang thing today I went to download real temp and when I do it asks to save file no option to Run the file. So I just saved file nothing saves! Then I decided well maybe its the real temp having issues come find out not the case. My computer will not automatically Run .exe files to download off the net unless I use my other computer and Run or save the file to a USB drive then just take it off that way. Anyone ever run into this?

Back