• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ANOTHER mini-fridge custom case post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TruckerBomb

Registered
I see there have been several posts about using a mini fridge to provide additional cooling capacity to a rig. That's not what I'm here for, the fridge I have doesn't cool to begin with, and I have no interest in fixing its cooling capability.

What I AM here to ask, is will the insulation of the fridge cause increased internal case temps? Or, as long as enough air is moving, will it be negligible?

Here's why I ask. The mini-fridge I'm using isn't a normal mini-fridge. It happens to be an old Red Bull display fridge. It's more for novelty than functionality. I plan on cutting out the bottom and inserting fans to draw air upwards and out the top. Due to case dimensions, the motherboard will have to be mounted with the I/O facing up, and the front side of the motherboard facing outward towards the door. Luckily, there is some space on top of the case where the compressor and wiring is originally located. I'll be removing everything but the front illumination, I still want the redbull logo to light up when I've got it on. (I plan on putting the PSU up top, no point cramming it in there and adding heat)

This is similar to what I'm working with. Thanks in advance!
$(KGrHqZ,!oIF!Fbll0O!BQTlS0q)cQ~~60_57.JPG

Considering that the case of my new PC barely gets warm, not much heat dissipates through the paneling.

Sounds like a great idea and should work very well. Please post up a build log and pics when you do it.

Sounds like a great idea and should work very well. Please post up a build log and pics when you do it.

Will do!

Main issue I'm thinking I'll have a problem with is mounting drives... Not sure where or how to attach them yet. Guess I can puzzle piece it together when I get everything laid out in front of me.

Right angle aluminum rods are pretty cheap at Home Depot. Just cut to length and drill holes as needed.

Looks like it's big enough you could use a 3 or 4 HDD cage mounted on side near bottom with connections facing up no problem

TruckerBomb you might consider using an old case (or new one) as a donor for all the sockets, motherboard tray with PCI slots in back, switches, jacks, usb sockets, optical drive bays, hdd cage, etc. to put into your fridge. Might need to change wire length but at least you would have all the basic bits and pieces needed.

TruckerBomb you might consider using an old case (or new one) as a donor for all the sockets, motherboard tray with PCI slots in back, switches, jacks, usb sockets, optical drive bays, hdd cage, etc. to put into your fridge. Might need to change wire length but at least you would have all the basic bits and pieces needed.

Indeed, I've got a gem of a case I'm cannibalizing some parts from. I'll start a post this weekend, even though the build is a few weeks off. Once you all see what I'm working/starting with, it'll click.

Now that is the proper way to post a build log. Thank you for being a top notch member~!

Looking forward to the buld.

Top notch? I'm nervous as *****! Lol, I haven't the slightest clue about using the different "rails" on my psu, or the hookups on the motherboard for fans that allow them to be throttled... Lol But I'm reading a LOT on here before i do ANYTHING.

Back