• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The DankLANbox project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Long delays as usual! Since I'm not the one funding this build, it's taken a while, BUT we just ordered the last round of parts! I'll be building on it like crazy as soon as the parts get here with an ultimate goal of having it up and running for a planned LAN party on the 28th!

We've made a few minor design changes, but nothing major, as you'll see in the upcoming pics/log.

So, stay tuned for more pics and updates!

:D

cool
i know its early days yet, but from sketchup it seems like you'ld be pumping INTO the reservoir, less i'm mistaken

Up and running (like a beast)!!

Hi guys-

OK, so on Mar. 28, I was literally pouring the water into the res, only to realize I had left a plug off the gpu block and, voila, there was the water on my table, haha.

Needless to say, I let it dry for 10 days.

I'm going to add a lot of pics here, since I hadn't done so in a while and, after all, this is a build log.

Also, this thing is a beast. Running stable at 4.5Ghz (haven't overclocked the GPU, as I'm not sure how much more to push the PSU at this point) and temps are completely reasonable, CPU only hitting low 60s at the most after an hour or so of gaming.

So, here we go- from where we left off, until the final build- Enjoy!!
(lots of pics, slow load time, sorry)

1.jpg
Drilling hole for gpu DVI ports

2.jpg
Finished DVI hole

3.jpg
Progress/mock build pic

4.jpg
Other side w dvd drive/gpu ribbon cable, etc.

5.jpg
Lotsa wires

6.jpg
Progress/mock build pic

8.jpg
DVD drive fully mounted

9.jpg
From the front

10.jpg
(Apparently having 3' long cables for a USB header is necessary...)

12.jpg
Vent holes for where the SSD/HDD drives were going to go. They didn't end up going here in the end, so I wish I would have spaced these holes more evenly now, but it's in the back, so no huge deal

13.jpg
Lots of angles (I liked this pic for some reason)

14.jpg
New parts! New res and fan grill

15.jpg
And, you can't build a LAN box w/o a handle!

16.jpg
Cutting hole for new res (super glad I found this thing, it worked out MUCH better)

17.jpg
See what I mean?

19.jpg
So far, so good

20.jpg
Progress/mock build pic

22.jpg
Hangin' out ready for primer/paint!

23.jpg
PAINTED!!

24.jpg
Top and sides!!

25.jpg
Progress/mock build pic (slick)!

21.jpg
And the cabling/sleeving begins (this was the part I dreaded the most). Yes, it took forever... read on.

26.jpg
PSU shortening/sleeving

27.jpg
Switches all setup

28.jpg
The white looks nice

I realize I didn't do the best job on the sleeving. I was in a major hurry at this point, but you can't really see it in the box anyway.

31.jpg
Sata power

32.jpg
PSU all finished (this was a good feeling to have done)

33.jpg
Pump wires to length/sleeved

34.jpg
And now to remove 2' of length from the USB cables

37.jpg
USB3 is WAY more fun (in case you were wondering) ;)

38.jpg
Much better

39.jpg
Lighting controller IR sensor installed

40.jpg
Couldn't have done this w/o helping hands

41.jpg
IT RUNS! Installing Windows!

42.jpg
Testing/installing drivers, etc

44.jpg
See the pic on page 1 to compare the size next to the soda can.

43.jpg
Ready to rock n' roll!

So, that's it! I've gotten reports that it's running perfectly! Temps are great, it's fully stable. This little guy is a beast, to put it mildly. My friend was ecstatic about it.

It was MUCH more difficult to assemble than my prior from-scratch build (as you can imagine), (this post also badly needs to be updated, as I've made several changes on that build by now) but it was still super fun, none-the-less.

It also goes really nicely with Razr peripherals.

I do have a few little minor things to fix, like a lighting wire is a little loose, but it works and I'm taking a little time off from it (to heal) ;)

I guess the last thing I'd say about it is how impressed I am that this little PSU is pushing all of this and doing so just fine.

Thanks for your support, and sorry it took so long to update this.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back