• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950 vmod vr adjustment low

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xnotx

Registered
Have a sapphire 7950 2L with CHL8228 that i just modded, used a resistor off vsen (pin 6) on the side closest to the chl8228 as solder point.

Resister measured at 1.8 Ohm.

Used a 20 OHM at first but wasn't getting desired voltage(less than 1.2x).
Tried a 200 OHM set to 20 OHM and adjusted from there, only could bring it up to 1.87 or lower? :shrug:

this was with afterburner @ 1.3 already, lowering afterburner and trying to adjust, i cannot bring it up past a certain point.

Measuring with afterburner set to read real not target volts, and Gpu-z sensor page.

So whats up with that?:shrug: It is as-if i can only adjust my voltage down, not higher :p I just want 1.3x+ :)

Here is a pic, it is NOT mine, just grabbed it off the net so people can understand what im talking about, this guy soldered it in the same place, except used a 50 Ohm.

test.jpg

When you do a solder voltmod you change the voltage the controller can see, you often won't see the adjusted voltage in software. You need a multimeter read point.

You may need to replace the resistor on the VSEN trace (the arrow points at a capacitor, one of the resistor (black) pairs to the left in the pic will be the target) with a higher ohm resistor. If it's 1.8ohms now, try putting a 10ohm resistor in its place.
The 0402 package the things are in makes them rather annoying to remove/replace, I used a pin and some tiny tiny tweezers.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I just now added a read wire and you're right, I have very good adjustability. Software reading was throwing me off haha.

Well... Card seems bunk, can't get rid of artifacts (color blobs)
Had them un-modded so I thought it may have been the vdroop...still have at 1150+ mhz and well over 1.3x volts on load.

Arg

Many 7xxx cards artifact over around 1.33 volts without subzero temps on the core. I guess they just start leaking there.
I'm not aware of any fixes short of extreme cooling.

Ya weird i have another one that's a low asic that loves air, this ones a higher asic that hates air. ahh well, thanks for the replies :)

Back