• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Support for 8 slot 3930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liamrox287

Hey guys,

I have a 3930k processor.

It says it supports 64gb of ram and quad channel.

However, I was wondering if I put in 8 x 4gb sticks (totalling 32gb), if it would still work, using the x79 chipset maximus extreme for 2011 sockets with 8 dimm slots.

Thanks.

Because it says it only supports quad channel. Also, overclocking video cards and CPU is what I'm doing, so will ram sitting at stock 1600mhz bottleneck it? What type of overclocking can I get on corsair vengeance ram

Ehhh, most ram will load up at 1333Mhz for compatibility reasons...then you adjust it in the bios.

Because it says it only supports quad channel. Also, overclocking video cards and CPU is what I'm doing, so will ram sitting at stock 1600mhz bottleneck it? What type of overclocking can I get on corsair vengeance ram
Its still quad channel with 8 sticks.

Ram is not a bottleneck at that speed, no. Overclocking ram yields negligible increases for real world uses. Dont bother IMO.

Yeah, i know it can handle 64gb, and im not putting that much in, but im going 8 slots and not 4, so will that work?

Yeah, i know it can handle 64gb, and im not putting that much in, but im going 8 slots and not 4, so will that work?

you can use as many slots as you want as long as you stay under 64gb of ram.

you could have 8gb of ram with 1gb sticks in all 8 slots
or 8gb of ram with 2 4gb sticks

doesn't matter. you don't have to use all the slots.

though i think for quad channel you need at least 4 slots used

So u reckon 8 slots, 32Gb, 2100mhz?? I'm putting them in a $485 Asus Maximus IV Extreme x79

If you're not going to be helpful, then you aren't welcome here.

What's the best option for me?

32gb of low speed, but good ram (1600 vengeance)

Or

16fb of really good high speed ram.

I'm running a 3930k with a rog maximus extreme iv
Cheers.

You need 32gb ? Really ?

If not, 16gb is enough. I run 2133mhz ram for more than 2yrs now and ran 2000mhz before on my X58. I never see more than 6-7gb used on my rig while gaming or doing other task.

Back