• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG CURV3D | By C4B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C4B

Registered
CURV3D | By C4B | Completed

Hello there!

Just registered today and want to show you a little project Im working on, its actually pretty finished, new motherboard and changing to only 2.5" disks will be the last thing. However, this all started as a side project to my other build Cold Winter, but turned out to be pretty fun and took a lot of time. Its a simple HTPC but with a special design.

This is a HTPC/NAS build. The specs of the hardware is:
Asus AT3IonT-I Deluxe
Intel X-25-V G2 40gb
4gb Corsair DDR3
Western Digital Green 2TB & 3TB

Sponsors:

company_name4.gif

logoaquatuningse.jpg

I got the idea for this build when I was looking at some of the acrylic I had left from Cold Winter. Saw some nice shape coming. So I started cutting, and got these two acrylic pieces:

sany0008xa.jpg

sany0003j.jpg

sany0007v.jpg

sany0009u.jpg

The next thing I did was to put some feet on it, havent decided yet if I should get some smaller ones. Then I put the two pieces together with two small hinges.

img0161ri.jpg

img0163qe.jpg

Glued the motherboard stand off screws into the acrylic.

img0643jp.jpg

And sleeve the power cables for the drives.

img0199vq.jpg

Some overview pictures.

img0168pj.jpg

img0204qh.jpg

Next up is the front and backplate:

img0136kw.jpg

Should I go for a powerswitch on the frontplate or hide it in the back? The cross is where Im thinking of putting it.

img0135zn.jpg

img0133et.jpg

Put some paint on those! (Sorry for Instagram picture)

img0151sg.jpg

img0150vwc.jpg

So this is how far Ive come. Dont have that much left to do.

img0335ce.jpg

img0364mf.jpg

I also got a nice powerswitch with a white LED ring.

img0333jcs.jpg

So I installed the LCD and the powerswitch on the frontpanel and soldered the cables and sleeved everything white.

img0343bww.jpg

img0342vix.jpg

So this is how the front and backpanel looks like.

img0341ry.jpg

img0338pw.jpg

img0339lu.jpg

Here is some pictures of how I managed all the cables.

img0361sf.jpg

img0360sf.jpg

img0359ob.jpg

img0358rl.jpg

I took some small Fractal Design fans and soldered together and put on the side of the harddrives to cool them down a little.

img0357op.jpg

Thats about it. After this I cleaned everything and took some final pictures of the build. Im soon gonna buy a better camera so I can take some better pictures and I will post them here later. But here is the final pictures Ive got right now.

img0346af.jpg

img0349su.jpg

img0350wpf.jpg

img0352fd.jpg

img0369pr.jpg

img0367c.jpg

img0365zj.jpg

I sanded down the edges and polished it. Looks a little bit better. Also made a 100mm hole under the motherboard, will put a slim 100mm fan there on low rpm too. With a little dustfilter.

The edges

img0460af.jpg

img0461z.jpg

img0463wp.jpg

100mm hole

img0454f.jpg

img0466yt.jpg

I also did a little "mediabenchtest". Put on 10x 1080p movies in a playlist and the CPU and GPU never got over 65c. So Im satisfied. Now with a intake it will get even better.

I got the 100mm fan today. A slim version from Scythe. I wasnt going to make an air intake even though everyone wanted me too, I just want to clarify, I didnt really needed it and I had no idea how to install a fan without hiding it. But then I found this fan, its 12mm thick, and the acrylic is 8mm thick, so I made a 100mm hole and installed the fan with help of some glue. So it extends 4mm over the acrylic. Just waiting for a dustfilter to go over the fan.

The only thing Ive got left now is to take the whole system apart, clean everything and fix some edges on the white plates, then put everything together again.

img0474mf.jpg

img0475ol.jpg

I bought a Canon 400D from a friend a couple of weeks ago so now I got some better pictures, the final pictures. The last thing I did was to install a fan filter over the 100mm fan under the motherboard.

I have been using this build as my main computer for a while because Im working on another project. The temps are pretty good, uses it for movies, music and internet. No problemo!

Enought with that, here are the final pictures. Hope you enjoy them!

Left side

img4298t.jpg

img4297a.jpg

Right side

img4302p.jpg

img4304da.jpg

Backpanel

img4301pw.jpg

Frontpanel

img4290v.jpg

img4292x.jpg

img4282k.jpg

Thank you and Ill see you soon again!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC

Last edited:
Hi again!

I can never really finish a build, like many others I think. Anyway, I sold the harddrives I was using in this build, got a 1TB 2.5" instead and a Corsair Force SSD. Also a Asus E45M1-I Deluxe is coming. So some hardware upgrades is going on here.

When changing to only 2.5" disks I wanted to make a harddrive bay. Here it is!

img0739vc.jpg

I drew up some different designs but I went with this one, measured out and cut with a jigsaw. What about some white paint on these?

img0742ja.jpg

img0743dy.jpg

And this is how it looks in the case:

img0741m.jpg

What do you think?

Johan Nyman

Last edited:
Looks good sofar, looking forward to the finished project!

Last edited:
I thought I commented on this before but sweet build :thup:

The first one is very nice, but I think the second one would look better with the case. The sharp and jagged edges may clash with the smooth rounded shapes.

I thought I commented on this before but sweet build :thup:

The first one is very nice, but I think the second one would look better with the case. The sharp and jagged edges may clash with the smooth rounded shapes.

Thank you! Yes I think Ill go with the second one, just sand the edges straight and so on. New motherboard hopefully arrives before the weekend. :)

I'm kind of interested in seeing what in would look like with the actual hard drive bays clear with the sides white (similar to the outside case) but it's a little late for that now. Either way I'm sure it will look great.

Also what if you put a slight reflective tint on it? Not a lot because you still want to see through it obviously. I don't know, just thinking aloud. lol

I'm kind of interested in seeing what in would look like with the actual hard drive bays clear with the sides white (similar to the outside case) but it's a little late for that now. Either way I'm sure it will look great.

Also what if you put a slight reflective tint on it? Not a lot because you still want to see through it obviously. I don't know, just thinking aloud. lol
Hmm I think Ill keep them white. What do you mean by a reflective tint?

img0752ct.jpg

Made new cutouts of the second design, this time for three harddrives. Sanded down the edges and ofcourse painted it white. I think Ill go with this design actually, I asked around what people thinks and its 50/50. But when the case has this round, smooth design it feels better with a similar harddrive bay instead of something with raw edges.

Second design rev 2:

img0755yy.jpg

img0756uc.jpg

In the case

img0757ve.jpg

img0758w.jpg

It kinda looks like a smaller version of the case. Ill go with this one!

Tomorrow Ill start with the cables for this so everything is ready when the motherboard gets here.

Hope you like it!
Johan Nyman

Last edited:
That looks great! Good work!

Love it so far! Really clean, unique look

Thanks!

My new motherboard is here! Finally, without the i/o shield though so I had to get a new one from ebay. However, I installed the new mobo and this time I need to use a picopsu so some sleeving was done. Now you can see my harddrivebay in action! ;)

Whats in here???

img0782.JPG

img0783hlb.jpg

Open it up and tada!

img0780nc.jpg

Goodlooking cooler!

img0779w.jpg

Im pretty satisfied with this harddrivebay.

img0781pq.jpg

I cant decide if Im going to go like this, with sleeved cables, or hide them all under the harddrivebay and motherboard so only the sata cables is showing. What do you think?

Cheers!
Johan Nyman

Last edited:
:thup: :thup: :thup:

If you were going to hide the power cables, how would you do it? Is there room to run them underneath the hard drive cage?

Yes there is room for that, then just make a hole in the side to run them out and to the picopsu. The 4-pin I thought I could run under the mobo.

Hello!

Its time for a update, probably one of the last. This all started out as a sideproject but turned out to be my priority. So I have been putting time into every small detail and now its 100% finished. Last thing to do is to take some time to get some really nice final pictures (again).

Anyway, I read on another forum that a fabric called "Sarita" from Ikea works perfect as dustfilter. So I bought 1sqm = 5$. I havent found any fanfilter for 100mm fans so had to make my own. Made a frame in acrylic, painted it white and glued the fabric on it. The installed it over the fan under the case.

img0790bs.jpg

img0806q.jpg

img0807mp.jpg

Another little detail I wanted to do was a little shroud for the back of the LCD. Just made it simple with acrylic again.

img0791zz.jpg

img0793nz.jpg

img0792yt.jpg

img0798sv.jpg

Took out everything, cleaned everything and assembled everything again. I think Ill go with the sleeved look. Gives it a little extra.

img0801iy.jpg

img0802hm.jpg

img0804mm.jpg

img0805rm.jpg

So thats it. Been a fun project and Ive got really good feedback on it. If I have time tomorrow Ill get the final pictures up. Going out in the sun/snow to take some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks
Johan Nyman

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Missed it until now... When you get the final pictures posted back here, I'll put it out on our Facebook. :) They love snazzy build pics of rigs like this.

The curved acrylic reminds me of project R unit or Resilience by Navig. It's a great look.

Back