• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z77 Extreme9 won't shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I have had my ASRock Z77 Extreme9 for about a month and love the board but... I noticed that resume from sleep which had been working flawlessly started to hang a few times. Now when I tell the computer to shutdown, windows will indicate that its shutting down, the screen will go black but the computer stays on and the mainboard indicates error code 05 which in the manual is "0x05 OEM initialization after microcode loading". I then have to hold the power button to get it to shut off. The same thing happens when I tell it to restart. If I tell it to sleep the same thing happens except I get mainboard error code 03 which in the manual is "0x03 North Bridge initialization after microcode loading".

I started off with the latest BIOS revision and all the most current drivers for this build on a brand new SSD. The system worked flawlessly for a month before this started happening all on its own (I didn't change anything or mess with settings when this started).

I've recently seen some other posts regarding this issue but no solutions... I'm hesitant to reset the CMOS just to see if it will help because I'll have to backup and rebuild the RAID array.

I hope someone can help!

Last edited:
If you have the Asrock windows based overclocking/monitoring software installed try un-installing it. I had the same issue with my CHV board when I had Ai Suite II installed with is Asus' windows based overclocking software. It may not make a difference but it can't hurt to try.

I've recently seen some other posts regarding this issue but no solutions... I'm hesitant to reset the CMOS just to see if it will help because I'll have to backup and rebuild the RAID array.

You should not if you boot into Bios first and set it to RAID.

You should not if you boot into Bios first and set it to RAID.

Over the years with many different boards I have not had much luck with that approach and I'm not the only one... You could google losing RAID0 after BIOS flash or CMOS reset and find a lot of posts about it (all of them tried to set the SATA controller back to RAID before booting). I backed up the array last night and will give it a shot but typically after the BIOS gets reprogrammed the system will POST a second time and go back into BIOS but only problem is it resets everything to defaults and the SATA controller loses the RAID setting so the array fails. Setting the SATA controller back to RAID doesn't always work once the intel controler reports the array as failed. At least this was true for several ASUS and Gigabyte boards... we shall see.

Anyway, this is not the focus of my post though... I'll try doing a hard reset of the CMOS tonight to see if it resolves my issue but beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for the link.... I'll take a look at the USB legacy setting and see if it helps but I doubt it will... the OP in that thread indicated that it did not resolve his issue and he had to RMA the board.

Over the years with many different boards I have not had much luck with that approach and I'm not the only one... You could google losing RAID0 after BIOS flash or CMOS reset and find a lot of posts about it (all of them tried to set the SATA controller back to RAID before booting). I backed up the array last night and will give it a shot but typically after the BIOS gets reprogrammed the system will POST a second time and go back into BIOS but only problem is it resets everything to defaults and the SATA controller loses the RAID setting so the array fails. Setting the SATA controller back to RAID doesn't always work once the intel controler reports the array as failed. At least this was true for several ASUS and Gigabyte boards... we shall see.

Anyway, this is not the focus of my post though... I'll try doing a hard reset of the CMOS tonight to see if it resolves my issue but beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do.
To be on the safe side disconnect the Drives so you can get your Bios into raid mode first.

The hard reset of the CMOS WORKED but it did kill the RAID0... No big deal though because I had it all backed up :)

i had an issue like this with my extreme4. at first it started with raid so i set it to achi but after a while i got it to work with raid again. then it started having problems turning on except if i left the graphics cards uninstalled, it would boot but would not shut down. then after turning it on the next day, i heard the fan spin, then turn off.

so i took it out of the test bench and tried turning it on, re socketed the processor and ram, cmos reset, that board did not want to boot. so i considered it dead and sent it to Asrock RMA.

if i were you, i would start considering sending it back...but thats just me.

let us know if anything pops up.

I'm curious what the OEM initialization means... I get the other error code but that is kind of non specific as i understand it.

Looks like a nice MB with a nice OC..
I was thinking on getting this board for a second build,does it seem well made?

Looks like a nice MB with a nice OC..
I was thinking on getting this board for a second build,does it seem well made?

I think its a very well made board. Overclocking was very easy on this board too and even though I listed 4.9GHz ive had it over 5GHz but dont feel like really pushing the vcore for the deminishing returns in performance.

One thing that I noticed about the PWM logic as it can be controlled in the BIOS is that on my previous ASUS board I could set Fan speeds as a precentage of max with upper and lower limits for temp. This board goes on whole numbers from 0 to 255 in manual control which is trivial because 33% is a value of 85. Now where I noticed the difference was in the ramping of fan speed. On my old board the second the cpu temp jumped even if it was just a blip the fans would jump too and slow down just as fast. I'm using some delta fans on my radiator that can be noisy at full speed so this was getting annoying for everyday use. This ASRock board's PWM logic does not jump the fan speed up instantly like the old board... it builds gradually and it slows down gradually as well. So over all the system stays pretty quiet.

I think its a very well made board. Overclocking was very easy on this board too and even though I listed 4.9GHz ive had it over 5GHz but dont feel like really pushing the vcore for the deminishing returns in performance.

One thing that I noticed about the PWM logic as it can be controlled in the BIOS is that on my previous ASUS board I could set Fan speeds as a precentage of max with upper and lower limits for temp. This board goes on whole numbers from 0 to 255 in manual control which is trivial because 33% is a value of 85. Now where I noticed the difference was in the ramping of fan speed. On my old board the second the cpu temp jumped even if it was just a blip the fans would jump too and slow down just as fast. I'm using some delta fans on my radiator that can be noisy at full speed so this was getting annoying for everyday use. This ASRock board's PWM logic does not jump the fan speed up instantly like the old board... it builds gradually and it slows down gradually as well. So over all the system stays pretty quiet.

Yes my Maximus Extreme 4 does the same thing with fan speed,up and down all the time makes it very hard to get it to acceptable levels..
I had an ASROCK Extreme 6 before the sata problems hit the p67 and sent it back and ended up with the ASUS because it was available.It is a great board but i am itching to build new again..I may just pick this board up..

I also like the idea that the fans dont just cut power the second the cpu temp monitor drops because with the high heat capacity of water the average temp of the fluid in the loop will take a lot longer to cool off.

Back